Modding Help (SOLVED) New items' names are not showing up properly

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SkyeTheTerribleBeastie, Apr 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

SkyeTheTerribleBeastie Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm creating a mod, and so far I've been able to make it work- except for the names of items I've added.

I know the following are used or have been used, but associating them with what they affect has been annoying
    "name"
    "friendlyName"
    "itemName"
    but none of them seem to affect the title in their item window, which stays blank or doesn't show the right one.

Mod (unreleased version 0.2.1) and screenshots included, if you want to access them without downloading they're in the mod's main page.

Attached Files:

2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

what you're looking for is "shortdescription" : "This text appears as the title"

edit : upon actually opening your files, i see you have that right. I dont see a reason why its not appearing right.

3. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

I have no idea whats wrong, but I'm going to guess it has nothing to do with the desc tags and something else is just buggering the whole thing up. Imo you need to go over with a fine tooth comb and check your items against CURRENT vanilla items to see where the hiccup is.

4. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

Dang, ok, I was hoping it was something as simple as "you forgot a comma on line XXX", but eek, damn, "It should be working" is the best and worst answer I could hope for. Thanks, I'll go over each file- but as a note, I typed out each file in direct reference to original assets from my packed.pak, and inserted the relevant details as I understand they work.

5. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

Alright, figured it out:
    "shortdescription" is the ONLY time where a two-word stringybit isn't capitalized, meaning that anywhere I had it capitalized, of course it wouldn't find it.
    Fixed, releasing v0.3

DrPvtSkittles likes this.
  6. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

7. projectmayhem

thats weird, Short description is usually the only time I ever have anything capitalized.

8. SkyeTheTerribleBeastie

Or, rather, one would expect the string to look like:
    "shortDescription" : "This is a description of a non-existing object!",
    But instead it needs to look like this:
    "shortdescription" : "This is a description of a non-existing object!",
    Otherwise it doesn't show up at all.

9. projectmayhem

oh nevermind, i misunderstood what you meant. I never really paid attention to the fact that the second part of the string isnt capitalized.