1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue [Solved] Mac: Stardew Valley Wont Launch

Discussion in 'Mac / Linux Bug Reports' started by Schatten Blite, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Schatten Blite

Schatten Blite Void-Bound Voyager

I currently bought this game on my MacBook Pro (since it finally released on it, huzzah). When I try to start the game, in the process of about 2/3 seconds, the game icon appears in the bottom bar (like all apps, games, etc... do), it then disappears, and nothing happens.

On the Steam side of things, it says the game is running, syncing, and then nothing.

I cannot find any sort of crash report, and their is no error message or pop-up in response to trying to run the game. My mac has played other games with similar min requirements for the specs and is up-to-date (OS X El Capitan 10.11.6). I've tried the Mac_Linux_Test beta, with the same results.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    • tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

Are you able to run the game by choosing to browse local files in Steam and running the app? Are you able to run the game from a terminal?

• NinaV

NinaV Intergalactic Tourist

I have the exact same problem as described above. Would like to answer the questions above, but I am not good with computers and I am not sure what they exactly mean.

• Schatten Blite

Schatten Blite Void-Bound Voyager

It launched by using the terminal method, and now it launches fine through steam...

I spent two days trying everything I could think of and now it seems to be working fine. Not really sure how I feel about all this, as I feel I missed a simplish potential (and working) solution for my problem.

Well, I guess I'm off to go play Stardew Valley. Thanks!

tccoxon likes this.
          • tccoxon

Try this:
            1. In your Steam library, right click on Stardew Valley in the list on the left
            2. Choose 'Properties' (at the bottom)
            3. Click the "Local Files" tab
            4. Click the "Browse Local Files" buttton. This should open your file manager application.
            5. Double-click the Stardew Valley app

• Draconian Knight

Draconian Knight Intergalactic Tourist

what do you do when you can't find the app but have a file called StardewValley.EXE and it won't open cause it says microsoft windows applications are not supporton on OS X

• emduff

emduff Void-Bound Voyager

How did you launch using terminal??

• CryptRocket

CryptRocket Void-Bound Voyager

I may have an actual fix for you. Like a lot of games ported over to Mac on Steam, the Steam Overlay will really screw things up. I tried all of the other methods (loading in Terminal, etc) with no luck. The app just sat running in my Dock but never actually opened. So, just turn off Steam overlays. Worked for me. Here's how:

1. Go to your Steam library and right click on Stardew Valley
                  2. Click "properties," then un-check "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game"
                  3. Close it out and launch the game. Voila.

No idea why this is a consistent problem with Mac games on Steam, but it is.

• Bowralzak

Bowralzak Space Hobo

hey tccoxon, just wondering where abouts would i find the 'steam library' on my mac? because all my payed games on steam are doing the same thing by failing to launc. And it would really mean a lot if u could help me please ! :)

Cheers.
                    Bowralzak

• tccoxon

Open Steam, and click the big tab at the top says "library".

• Bag of Turtles

Bag of Turtles Space Hobo

How do i launch with terminal? My games not working, i have terminal, and i'm trying to get stardew valley to work!
                        Please chucklefish please! respond! Please!:cry:

• smarva

smarva Space Hobo

Having the same issue, tried this and got "STEAM API RESTART APP IF NECESSARY" error and an abort message.