1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Solved]Got a little wiring problem

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Taurusfire, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Taurusfire

Taurusfire Intergalactic Tourist

Hey fellas!
    I've run into a little problem with wiring, it's something that to me seems pretty logical, but i can't find a way to do it..

[​IMG]
    (https://imgur.com/jEe4nWt) if the image thing doesn't work.. (it doesn't in the preview..))

As you see in the image i have keypad(red) right next to me, and a standing console(red) a bit further to the right.
    The standing console is linked to some screens. so if i turn the console off, the screens go off, and if i turn it on, the screens go on. All normal as it should be.
    However now we get to my problem.
    What i want is If the keypad is turned off, the console cannot be turned on.

That way i can have 1 single point in my ship where i can turn everything off without having to individualy wire everything to that keypad.

I hope on a solution!

Greetings,

2. sirguylittle

sirguylittle Void-Bound Voyager

To begin with, it would be helpful to think of the blue and red nodes as inputs and outputs respectively as that can help with understanding how Starbound's wiring logic works.

There is no way to do this in the manner you describe, not directly anyway. This is because the console, despite its appearance, is nothing more than a dumb switch. It does not have an input node and just a single output, so it can only turn a signal on and off, not be controlled. (You can only connect outputs to inputs, so you cannot connect the keypad to the console.)

One way to achieve something along the lines of what you want would be to use an AND logic gate as an intermediary. It has 2 inputs and 1 output and the output will only turn on if both inputs are on.
    If you connect the keypad to one input and the console to the other input, then connect the output to the screens, then the screens will only turn on if both the console and the keypad are on.

It's not quite the same as the console will stay on even if the keypad is off (since there is no way to turn it off except by the player character).

PS I don't know why your image link doesn't work. I tried adding it but got the same problem and now I can't remove the link, lol.
    I don't normally use imgur and have used a different image host successfully, so it seems to be something up with imgur.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  3. Taurusfire

Taurusfire Intergalactic Tourist

Alright, i was afraid i had to use the AND gate.. it's alot of work since it's on my ship, i'll have to create a little area outside of my ship bounderies and drag the wires alll the way there xD
    Thanks for your answer

4. sirguylittle

sirguylittle Void-Bound Voyager

@Taurusfire there is perhaps another way, if you do not mind using a mod.

Macrochip and Logic Upgrades is something I have been playing with.

It is overkill for what you want as its main purpose is to provide the means to make complex circuits using a separate interface rather than having logic circuits all over the wall.

However, it also gives the ability to disguise vanilla components as things like access panels or hide them completely.