Mob Solamanders

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Dragonith, Jul 3, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    Solamander
    Igniserpens infernalis ("Fire Serpent from Hell")
    When the truth finally dawns, it dawns in fire...is what the last foolish adventurer said when he combated a Solamander unarmed.

Solamanders are among the solariformes ("Solar-Users"), creatures reliant on the sunshine for locomotion. In the fiery lizard's case, the sun's energy is its driving life energy and main method of attack. By releasing the stored energy of a star's light, it can expel temperate flames of up to 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit. It is commonly believed that the fire it produces is unlimited in supply, although this is untrue. If a Solamander runs out of solar energy, it cannot breath fire and will sieze movements completely. It is this dormant state that all Solamanders try to avoid, as it leaves them completely vulnerable and susceptible to harm. To prevent such a catastrophe to their bodies, they move slowly during the night to conserve energy. Sources of heat, such as lava pools, are a popular spot for Solamanders to rest when their solar energy levels are low. Submerging themselves in lava is a safe way to protect themselves until the sun rises in the daytime.

The feathery extensions of a Solamander are treasured by collectors, both for their soft feel and hot touch. Unfortunately, obtaining these feathers isn't too easy, as even in death, as a solariforme, the miniature stars embedded on the creature self-destruct, akin to the explosion of a supernova on a smaller scale.

Related Suggestions:
    Dragoknights
    Drakes
    Pyrosaurus Rex
    Equigriffs
    Trinoceras
    Plesiax
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Comments?

2. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

They get better every time! Can we ride it without being incinerated?;)

Scourger likes this.
  3. Nirn

Nirn Existential Complex

Awesome!

Kristopher likes this.
  4. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Explodes on death? This would be fun, but now I am completly scared of lava pools because of these Solamanders and the Scoria.

5. WhatTheHax98

WhatTheHax98 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very-absolutely-extraordinarily-super-fantastically-uber-awesomely nice! One of the best creature suggestions I have seen by far!

I can see it now, I am exploring a dark cave. I break through the hard stone only to reveal a hot room with a lava pool in the center. I have heard rumors of lizards inhabiting these pools. I cautiously tread through the room to avoid confrontation, but alas, it was too late. The beast crawls out of the pool breathing fierce flames that could burn through stone.

I love the art that you have put into creating this masterpiece of a creature! I totally got the Skyrim trailer reference too. :DD

6. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Wow, that's fantastic!
    I love the concept art style, very cool. :cool:
    And I'd like fighting something like this in game, the slow moving at night might make them easy targets.

7. WhatTheHax98

WhatTheHax98 Subatomic Cosmonaut

These creatures won't be very powerful on my planet of eternal night! :V

8. Dem orbs.

9. Probably not. You'd probably get roasted before you even got a foot close to it. :p
    Just be glad they aren't working together...

...yet. *shudders*
    Ahaha, thanks young dovakiin. xD
    Just watch out for dem lava pools. One wrong move, and you'll be burnt to a crisp.~

10. Impish

Impish Void-Bound Voyager

Might be my favorite one so far! :D

11. Soron

Soron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If it is in the game, I look forward to the fight! :fireball:

12. GabirilosGR

GabirilosGR Scruffy Nerf-Herder

13. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

I guess you took my suggestion about the supernova?
    Great idea!

14. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

I see game's name is Starbound.How big are those?And how big are the super-nova explosions?

15. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

Love it. You make some fine art ;)

16. Hideindarkness

Hideindarkness Orbital Explorer

hmm i feel that this might be the mount or a type of folk that comes from the same realm as the Tru'Donts. I would love to see them as mounts but if they are npc i think you can have some sort och flash attack. Becuse they are serpans/snakes :)

17. Another magnificently drawn creature. It will be interesting to meet an enemy that can swim in lava.

18. qazxcwe

qazxcwe Phantasmal Quasar

Everything this guy makes should be implemented!:D

Bombzero likes this.
  19. shadowcrazy

shadowcrazy Phantasmal Quasar

looks great and as usual looks very professional...can't wait for the sprites

reminds me a bit of volvagia

20. centor111

centor111 Cosmic Narwhal

Dude this is 500$ art you are making o.o how long does this take you