1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So the music in starbound is absolutely fantastic. So i just decided to make one song more crisp.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ScreamingMime, Nov 20, 2013.

?

Do you like the edited version?

1. Yes

13.5%
  2. No

46.2%
  3. Meh

34.6%
  4. I cant tell the difference

5.8%
  1. ScreamingMime

ScreamingMime Void-Bound Voyager

So normally the song "Atlas" on starbounds ost sounds like this: .

I felt like it need a little more depth and crispness:

What do you think?

CyberDog, Bandethor and MrHiggle like this.
  2. Maruku

Maruku Void-Bound Voyager

It sounds really sparse and crass. It mostly sounded like you turned the treble way up (I don't know the exact number setting on an equalizer, but one of the higher ones, close to 10K)

The first one is low-key, beautiful, melodious. The edited version sounds like someone warped a cassette tape or like they purposefully ever-so-slightly sped it up or something.

tl;dr: too sparse, crass, ear-piercing, etc.

Not trying to be mean, just letting you know what it sounds like to me, personally.

Ghard0157 and Serenity like this.
  3. ScreamingMime

ScreamingMime Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for the truth. First try. I know I need more work.

4. Maruku

Maruku Void-Bound Voyager

It's okay. I doubt I could do a better job. I've just been a musician for about 11 years, so it stuck out.

At any rate, some people will probably like your version more. It really just depends on that person's hearing ability and what type of sounds they like. I usually like rock with the low basses turned up a fair amount and the treble turned up quite a bit. But this is classical, so I think maybe it needs something different. Again, just opinion. It's cool that you'd even consider working on it, though.

5. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's cold and flat. As Maruku mentioned, it sounds like you went crazy on the treble.

6. MrHiggle

MrHiggle Existential Complex

Good first try mate! :D

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm no musician, but I think it needs a bit of work in some places. Especially the start. I see potential, though. I'd say tweak it some more and just keep at it.

Nesden, Serenity, Blackleaf and 3 others like this.
  8. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Sounds hollow. Maybe you increased the Mids and the Highs and reduced the Lows, like so many have suggested? If you really wanted to play with it, add a baseline 808 or dubstep it like the kids are doing these days. This is just a change in levels.

9. Pyrii

Pyrii Existential Complex

Yeah it sounds like someone swapped out my sound system with laptop speakers. Plus there's some strange glitches and popping.

Remember that the original has been mastered as a background song, so it's meant to not intrude on the sound effects and game.

More than likely the author will master a soundtrack version later with more "punch" as you put it.

ScreamingMime and Cruellyricisti like this.
  10. Nice try, needs a little refining.

11. IllusiveEnergy

IllusiveEnergy Subatomic Cosmonaut

To be honest, the worst part was the very beginning. It sounded almost like I was listening to it on headphones that weren't on my ears.

12. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

The beginning wasn't very well, but I liked the middle a bit. However, I'm not sure if it's much different. in that respect. but it pulls me in.

13. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

Not too good. Unless you're planning on making an entire remix, I don't see much point in doing this kind of stuff. It was fine before; don't fix what isn't broken.

14. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

Have to agree with the majority that I like the original better, for reasons already mentioned.

However, don't let that discourage you from experimenting! Music is just as "moddable" as any other part of the game, and encouraging modding, experimenting, and otherwise contributing to the game (and its community) is a big part what makes Starbound great.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Maruku likes this.
  15. Solokeh Krontos

Solokeh Krontos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The trick to doing this, crispness, is not losing the base (Pun intended) of the music's sound. Bass is what supports the song, while the treble carries it to tremendous heights. Here is an example of making the song a little more crisp, without making it too tinny. However, I still think the original is still the best.

16. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

The instruments do sound more focused, I'll give you that. It sounds like they were brought in front of the bass, which seems to be drowning them in the original now that I hear what you've done.

I kinda like what you did.
    Maybe put a bit more bass back?

As Pyrii said, it is intended to be background, so that could be why the orig. sounds like it does.

17. JackAllan

JackAllan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah. I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. It sounds like you stripped all the bass out of the front end.

18. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

[​IMG]

Just kidding. Tweak it more and it will be better.

ScreamingMime likes this.
  19. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

That effect you added at the beginning made me expect the song to burst into a catchy techno remix

20. Auditre

Auditre Star Wrangler

If nobody attempted to fix what was broken, then humanity wouldn't advance ._. ... Like, at all... Other than the beginning, I thought the song wasn't all thaat bad, but like everything, it could use some work.