1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So I Just Beat Starbound...Now What?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mpclancy12, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpclancy12

mpclancy12 Space Hobo

The title here is pretty self-explanatory. I just defeated the ruin, and don't know what to do with the game anymore. Any ideas?

2. TheDerpySupport

TheDerpySupport Subatomic Cosmonaut

Build, make a new character, play with mods

3. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Whatever you want.

Build something, perhaps? A colony, a farm, a fortress, a wiring contraption?

Maybe keep exploring, have you seen all the planet types and structures?

Check out some mods? Make some of your own, perhaps?

If you need to ask what to do next, maybe the answer is nothing. Maybe you're done with the game and it's time to move on to something else.

4. X marks it

X marks it Space Spelunker

Achievment hunt?
    It's what I'm doing at the moment.

5. Wazamaga

Wazamaga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What everyone else said. It is a sandbox game, It's your decision.

Will Liferider likes this.
  6. thogrinn

thogrinn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey ! GG for the ruin :) Now, as SeaJay said, you can build what you want, and BE what you wanna be. I'm on my first playT., (~110Hrs on 1.0, 185 with beta state) ; Killed the Ruin yesterday and seriously, this game is endless and awesome (and i didn't touch some features). Take your time to find the best gear on each sector (gentle, temp', radioA, etc..), visit all dungeons types, make quests (it's really fun to help people on a planet, take your time), recruit a complete crew, become a system lord, develop' economy etc....You can try to find old bones and open a museum, gather all mobs little trophies, become a pirate (when you enter a village, you can steal things and....you'll see :) ).

I think a serious hard-core gamer can reach 400+ hrs on this game ; And even more if you want to develop' an entire system. It's fun, really.

Have fun !!! :)

7. Tylerthedragon

Tylerthedragon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To be honest, there's not too much. You can get the achievements and that's really it. Maybe read through the Codex you've found? I don't know...

8. Kano Tranker

Kano Tranker Void-Bound Voyager

If you have not already done so I would make a new character and do it in hardcore mode. Can you get all the way through without dying?

9. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Mods like FrackinUniverse add so much it'd be a whole new playing experience. If you were (playing on) casual you could play survival mode and have basically the same experience with the added bonus that you lose everything on death or go to take a leak and find yourself to be dead on return (though there's a mod for that now.).
    Or you could download item spawning mods and go nuts!

Further list of things you can do:
    • Get all the fossils, including the skeleton that's inside you.
    • Make settlements. Play Fallout 4 in 2D.
    • Genocide.
    • Gather all the boss special weapons.
    • Gather all the figurines.
    • Get an ABC file of Never Gonna Give You Up, find an unwilling participant, and use the worst instrument in the game to blaze it into his or her (or it's?) ear with for the rest of time.
    • Get all the Treasured Trophies weapons.
    • Get a mod that allows you to take as many crew members with you as you can, get as many penguins as you can, get the penguin suit, go on Pingu rampage.
    • More genocide.
    That's about it for now.

Mythril-Jelly and TheFloranChef like this.
  10. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

As mentioned above, get FrackinUniverse. You'll need to back up or delete your giraffe_storage folder because FU is a comprehensive mod, but if you decide to go with it, make a new character, and it adds about 30-50 hours to the game (depending on your playstyle).

What it won't do, is keep you entertained till CF makes the base game better. That might take up to 4 years (or more).

11. Dander.1981

Dander.1981 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Or if none of the mentions above: Play another game or do something else. Starbound is an inexpensive pay once license title after all. How much content did you expect? Besides the player made content, with it being a sandbox.

12. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Build a civilization from scratch, starting with stone and wood until you have a full colony with everything available in the game:

• Farm
    • Fluffalo/Chicken/Mooshi farm
    • Moths
    • Every type of tenant
    • Museum
    • Zoo
    • Fracking Universe Laboratory
    • Bees (you'll need a mod, but they are also included in FU)
    • Spaceport
    • An underwater base

13. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Welcome to "beating Skeletron in Terraria 1.0"(back when the Wall of Flesh and Hardmode had yet o exist).

So basically... what you would have done back then. Build base/etc.

At least Starbound has the procedural quest system, volcanic worlds, fossil miniquest, museum sidequest(for Koichi), the ability to build colonies on multiple worlds or even locations allowing you to build as huge or small or spread out across a world as you want.

Before all bosses were in the nightly, I know that I liked the concept of a "challenge colony".

That is the idea was not just to build a large colony, but to build it within some of the more uniquely inhospitable locations possible. And not only to make it "functional", but to make it "thrive" -and- be a visually interesting colony as well.
    For that reason, at the time I had chosen to build basically a "smuggler" outpost of metal bunkers(with fancy lunar based blastdoors) on a Toxic Ocean planet. To try to provide a thriving habitat for my colonist yet also build it in a way that could be -both- aesthetically pleasing to my intended goals and eyes -and- safe for my colonist(so even in "exterior" areas outside the main complex I had begun building "rain covers"(basically support columns for metal roofs with limited backround walls... thing of some of the covers you'd find at bus stops/parks/etc to protect colonists from the frequent acid rains when they'd walk outside the main complex.

The "base" game got released not that long ago in term of lifespan. Otoh that also means a lot of newer content is still yet to come. Some sooner than later. I recall it took almost an entire year before Terraria 1.0 and the addition of Hardmode with Terraria 1.1.

There's chances we might not have to wait as long for a couple of stuff on our end, and unlike Terraria we already have a surprising level of mod support to coast us over until then. I certainly recall the drought of content we had in comparison back with Terraria(and how many players were mad at the developpers during that period with constant demands for new content once skeletron was defeated by pretty much everyone).

But basically, there's a ton of possibility. I know there were a couple of players for example who completed the game in vanilla only because they wanted to try running through the game once before actually trying to play through it a second time with mods activated.

Aurakiel likes this.
  14. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Or beating Skeleton Prime in Terraria 1.2, haha. Terraria didn't have a satisfying ending until 1.3, imho.

15. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

So, what I want to know, Rogue-like Hardcore runs or Frankin' Universe?

16. Thee Pie Man

Thee Pie Man Subatomic Cosmonaut

Here's what I suggest since I've also recently beat the Ruin, some of these suggestions will more than likely be duplicates.

Create colonies on increasingly harder planets.
    Collect all the weapons/gear. Make Armor stands.
    Collect all the bugs/insects in the game.
    Collect all the Critters in the game.
    Collect all the Monsters you can find, even the random generated ones.
    Collect Geodes and crack them open, along with the Geodes you can do fossil hunting which can be fun as it makes you explore underground which leads to other hidden gems. (could be quite literal.)

You could also, as people suggested add mods to enhance features and make the game less boring if you feel it's getting there. Personally I'm doing the above, don't feel the need for mods yet.

17. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Frackin' Universe is something I want to like in theory. Like I utterly love the concept of more Biomes. "Yes please".

On the other end, some of what bugs me with it is.... well, everything else.
    It's not just the new biomes, it's the science stations and outpost which seem to reach levels of complexity that almost feel unappealing. With tons of new ores that are so numerous, I almost don't know what to do with it and that's before I got the resource extractors stations that led to even "more" materials of different sorts.

At a certain point, it started to feels like it wasn't meshing or adding to the original game anymore but instead that it almost started clashing with it.

Plus there's already a bunch in the base game that I still need to achieve. Fossil hunting/building up current colonies to more than simple outposts. Whether or not to use tether posts and monster hunting to build a zoo.
    Maybe a "museum" build through ruins decor collection, fossil hunting and mannequin stands for rare armor. I'm also tempted to give a look at that mod that supposedly give the ability to display weapons as decorations.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Not really that complex at all. At first, it looks daunting, but once you get used to it, you realize that you can group everything into groups, it becomes MUCH easier to work with in your mind.

The number of ores isn't really a problem, in fact, I rather like it. Each ore has a theme to it, and the special planets some of these are found on are rather cool IMO.

As for the stations... well you got the "main" Matter Assembler station. Then you got the Fission Furnace, pretty straight-forward. From there, you branch off into 3 Branches: Equipment (Armory/Fabricator), Chemicals (Chemlab, Centrifuge, Condenser) and Plants (Gene stations). There's a sifter for powder but it kinda does both chemicals and normal stuff.

As for managing materials, best thing I've found to do, is to do 3 food lockers: one for metals, one for chemicals, and one for seeds/genes and put them near their machines (again, grouping the machines as above).

Pretty soon you're doing science like a champ.

But anyways, in response to the OP: Other than grabbing a large mod like FU, the only thing I can advise you do is just wait, or build huge colonies, or try another race out, etc.

TheFloranChef likes this.
  19. Sairyu

Sairyu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've been try collecting Codex lore books exploring every system for my last 15 >.>;
    Still Cant belief some people have that have "Well Read" Acivement day after release of 1.0
    wile exploring you see new stuff or rare dungeon like glitch Sewer or abandoned Apex lab bunker

Ludovic likes this.
  20. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just beat Ruin, and my next goal is to go back and make all of the available food recipes.
    Pre-1.0 I remember being able to do.. something that let me make statues of each monster in the game. Is that still an option?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.