1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So I figured out how to make a XOR logic gate using doors.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Jeddychan, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Jeddychan

Jeddychan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

It only took 5 doors and about half an hour of figuring to get it to work. The control panel and hand scanner are the two inputs and the door near the hand scanner is the output. I'm thinking I may try to make other gates using doors, because I find door logic gates to be both interesting and amusing.

2. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

I don't understand what this does, but nice work :)

marcelmarci likes this.
  3. Jeddychan

It just allows you to open or close the door from either button. Just like a light in a house that has two switches to turn it on and off from either switch.

4. Monkeybiscuit

Monkeybiscuit Phantasmal Quasar

Is there any way to hide the wiring? Seems like an awful lot of mess to make a functioning door.

5. LostCraftGhost

LostCraftGhost Master Chief

That *is* pretty nifty! Takes up quite some screen estate, but I think that could be reduced... Any chance for a D-FlipFlop? :sneaky:

6. ArcadeScholar

ArcadeScholar Industrial Terraformer

Aw, that's cool. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside seeing people do stuff like this! Kudos to you sir!

7. LastDay

LastDay Heliosphere

You can only see wires while holding the wire tool, so I don't think it really matters much. :)

Monkeybiscuit likes this.
  8. Jeddychan

Since you don't see the wiring when you don't have the tool out like LastDay said, the only thing you have to hide is the doors, which is why they're down so low. I buried them after I was done.

Next time I'm doing more wiring stuff, I'll see if I can't figure that out. Is there any use you had in mind?

Thanks, I kind of surprised myself because I wasn't really sure if it would work, but it did!

Monkeybiscuit likes this.
  9. Monkeybiscuit

Monkeybiscuit Phantasmal Quasar

Excellent stuff. I'm screenshotting this to make later. I'm terrible with figuring out this kind of thing so I'm always happy when you redstone enthusiasts/wiring people figure this stuff out for me ;)

10. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

Awesome work!

11. Jeddychan

So if I continue to make these door logic gates, should I just keep posting them here? or should I go make a page on one of the wikis? or should I do both?

12. Rad_Nomad

Rad_Nomad Orbital Explorer

I suggest both.
    Nice work.

13. Wystner

Wystner Astral Cartographer

Holy crap man, thank you so much for this; you should definitely make a wiki page because people are going to want to know how to do this once they start their building projects. It's working perfectly for my little trap set up. I can finally close the doors from the other side!

[​IMG]

14. Jeddychan

Alright, I'll probably just post updates here of screenshots, and then figure out how to make a nice wiki page for all of it. Glad to see that someone was able to figure it out just from my screenshot. Good job!

15. jaylum

jaylum Space Hobo

Hey just a question, what do you use as an input? From what I read in the wiki, you need an input. According to them the tier 1 iron lever was the lowest but I can't seem to do anything with it. I tried making a titanium panel (just trying my luck) but turns out to be a (decorative?) item. I'm really really curious on how to wire my doors or expand the possibilities on wiring, hope you can help me out here :)

I have access to sector X if that helps. I haven't found any aegissalt if I need it.

16. Jeddychan

My friends and I just grabbed this stuff from a prison we're tearing down, along with the whole planet. You may be able to scan and 3D print inputs if you can grab a single one from somewhere.

Alright, I'll probably just post updates here of screenshots, and then figure out how to make a nice wiki page for all of it. Glad to see that someone was able to figure it out just from my screenshot. Good job!

17. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm glad I searched before attempting an XOR!

Here are the other gates in my Space Asteroid Logic-Gate Testing Facility (SALT Facility):

NOT (output is reverse of input):
    [​IMG]

OR ( AB, A¬B, ¬AB ):
    [​IMG]

NOR ( ¬A¬B ):
    [​IMG]

NAND ( A¬B, ¬AB, ¬A¬B ):
    [​IMG]

AND ( AB ):
    [​IMG]

XOR ( A¬B, ¬AB ) ... thanks Jeddychan!:
    [​IMG]

I see how you made the XOR using AND, NOR, OR, and NOT gates.
    ( [ A and B ] or [ A nor B ] ) -> [not]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  18. The Ed

The Ed Void-Bound Voyager

There are logic gates in the game, just no way of obtaining them without modding.

Here's a And gate.
    And.jpg

Here's a Not Gate.
    Not.jpg

Here's an Or Gate.
    Or.jpg

Here's an Xor Gate.
    Xor.jpg

And Here's a Timer.
    timer.jpg

There seems to be nothing wrong with them, but their probably not in game for a reason so mess with them at your own risk.

FormalRiceFarmr likes this.
  19. Skhmt

Skhmt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What does the timer do?

20. The Ed

The Ed Void-Bound Voyager

Every 1 or 2 second its turns on/off. So you can have a door the constantly opens and closes every 1 or 2 seconds.