1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So... about Glitch

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MiniKnog Agent, Dec 29, 2013.

1. AhmNee

AhmNee Big Damn Hero

If the robo-ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

2. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

Exactly.

3. KuramaFox

KuramaFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

The wiki entry indicated that the glitch are remnants of some experiment to simulate civilization with robots. All of which have long since died except for the glitch. Which due to their namesake, got stuck in midieval times and have ironically managed to survive all this time due to them not advancing.

The glitch themselves do not know this supposedly.

4. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

If I can eat bandages, they can too.

Bumber likes this.
  5. Edgewalker_001

Edgewalker_001 Big Damn Hero

Obviously their creators installed a Mr. Fusion.

6. Edgewalker_001

Edgewalker_001 Big Damn Hero

And knowing how the Glitch reproduce, the two are probably interchangeable.

7. Doublejho

I'm just curious as to why they haven't made a colossal war machine out of a child yet.

8. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

Because nothing in Glitch simulation tells them to do that.

9. AhmNee

AhmNee Big Damn Hero

When a daddy bolt loves a mommy fastener very much and the daddy bolt convinces the mommy fastener that they don't need a washer because he'll use just the first few threads... Nine cycles later the hover drone brings an IP packet of joy.

reversePsychologist likes this.
  10. Doublejho

Yeah but if it's a realistic simulation, like it's supposed to be, there might end up being a Glitch who attempts it.

11. Verranicus

Verranicus Big Damn Hero

Got to get power somewhere.

12. Fiben Bolger

Fiben Bolger Pangalactic Porcupine

13. OwenBDead

OwenBDead Scruffy Nerf-Herder

According to the lore/Codex so far, Glitch can't reproduce/make more of themselves. But they can repair "dead" Glitches.

14. Rocket Black Man

Rocket Black Man Space Penguin Leader

I accept this as validation for the glitch need to feed.

ReverendBonobo likes this.
  15. Jco

Jco Space Penguin Leader

Lore-wise, presumably they convert what they eat into bio-fuel, as others have suggested. Or, perhaps they don't need to eat, but the same programming that tells them to simulate life compels them to, while also simulating hunger and starvation. As for bandaids, uh, sure, duct tape. They're repairing themselves, that's not too far fetched.

Mechanically, I don't think there's a good enough reason to remove the food/starvation mechanic from one of the player races. On one hand, I've never struggled to find food, even without really setting up a farm or sticking to my bow and arrow (though I'm curious to see if others have had different experiences). But if the developers found it fit to make starvation a more present risk, removing it from the Glitch means a very different play environment for Glitch players.

Same thing with bandaids, stim packs, etc. Glitch need a healing item they can craft, and making it something too different from what every other race uses could create issues.

16. krylo

krylo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

We've created, in the real world, robots that run by burning biomass. That are entirely capable of fueling themselves on meat.

They programmed them not to do that though, 'cause the planned use was carrying battlefield supplies and it'd just be too creepy if it was eating dead soldiers.

Look up EATR.

Not that weird to think a robot designed to mimic organic life and run indefinitely without complicated or limited fuel sources would do the same.

17. Twiganator

Twiganator The Count

18. Damiann47

Damiann47 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I now like to think that all bandages are actually duct tape. Like as a human you're closing your wounds with just duct tape.

19. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

Because they want to keep the game balanced. Anything else is just an attempt to rationalize it, which isn't a bad thing.

20. ScrubNiggurath

ScrubNiggurath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They consume organic matter which is consumed by a bacteria that grows in their fuel processing chambers, The bacteria excrete methane as a waste product which is then siphoned off and burned to power the robotmen... The expended organic matter is then ejected as perfectly rectangular compressed bricks.

Because there was totally a need to explain in depth the mechanics of a glitch digestive system. Because it's not like methane digesters aren't already in use by human farmers as a power source or anything.