Tool SMTk - Starbound Mod Toolkit

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by katana, Jul 18, 2017.

1. katana

katana Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've developed a suite of tools specific to Starbound mod development, and figured I'd post them here for a little awareness.

https://github.com/damianb/smtk
    SMTk is a collection of tools to assist with building mods quickly and effectively. Included are several utilities:
    • JSON validation (special for Starbound JSON files)
    • JSON Patch builder (also special for Starbound JSON files)
    • PNG Asset compressor
    • Starbound mod pak builder
    SMTk is currently only available for Windows. A comparable script may be written for Linux at some point in the future (obviously not in batch).

SMTk's advanced features will require node.js and the windows-build-tools for node.js (installation covered in the readme).

For the curious, I built the Nietono no Shana mod using this toolset, along with Threatening Space Stations. It's also capable of being used for larger mods too - I'm currently using it for a still-private race addition mod, even.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    IHart and Cyel like this.
  2. cpeosphoros

cpeosphoros Orbital Explorer

I'm working on something on the same lines, but in pure .lua instead of .js/bat, and with a larger scope.

Would you mind if I get some of your algorithms in .js and .bat and use them in my .lua suite?

Edit: It's licensed under MIT's license, so, see this post only as a FYI.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  3. katana

Just mind the attribution!

cpeosphoros likes this.
  4. katana

Just for the record - I have recently (successfully) used SMTk to integrate Jenkins for CI purposes, and build automation. So, building mods on your own shouldn't be completely necessary with the correct configuration.