RELEASED SmoothFarm | General cleanup & farm map overhauls. Lots of choices to choose from.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Cardinite, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is this one of your maps? The line "Woo I can finally self plug!" makes me think that it is. I really like it a lot!

If you are still taking suggestions, would it be possible to make a map with the following changes?:

The greenhouse stone path removed.
    The path leading to the shipping box removed.
    The lake and pier from the above image relocated to the left side of the map instead, facing the same direction and roughly the same size and shape but with the water on the left side of the lake completely filling in the lower left corner of the map. And with sections of the lake a deeper blue indicating depth like in the river going through town and the forest?
    I would also like to make a little forest on the side of the house like this one. If the little bushes in that corner would prevent the trees from growing (I am not sure about area tree rules), then could you remove those too like in your other maps or replace them with one of the large, bushy-leafed perma trees seen around town for tree variety?
    The pet area flooring removed as it is seen from under cobblestone flooring and the like.
    The two rocks on the ground in front of the cave removed as they peek out from cobblestone flooring and the like.
    The tiny pond, pet bowl, mailbox and shrine stone can remain the same.

I think a map like this would be so super cute! :giggle: What I really like about the linked map is the odd shape and large size of the lake. Thank you so much for reading! <3

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    • Cardinite

Cardinite Industrial Terraformer

It is! It's an unreleased variation of the Canyon map with a static lake, and what eventually became the Oasis map in the main post with the fully animated lake.

I have a few other requests but I really like the sound of this, I'll definitely get around to it when those are finished. Since it's a more complex overhaul - could you draw out the new lake using this planner (Crystal floor for water and wooden floor for pier would be super helpful too!) and take a screenshot? That way I can get as close to how you imagine it first time. :)

BoffoBoy likes this.
      • Cardinite

Done, I have a few other requests so I didn't get the chance to playtest it properly, but it was a fairly simple tweak so it should work fine. If there's any bugs or I missed anything let me know. :)

Download link:
        http://www.mediafire.com/download/j5d2g1988m8fqf5/Farm.xnb

• DewdropDewdrop

DewdropDewdrop Tentacle Wrangler

This is fantastic! I'll definitely be giving the Oasis variant a download. :nod:

• Cardinite

Another relatively simple tweak so I didn't playtest this one, but it should work just fine. As usual if there are any bugs or if I missed anything let me know and I'll edit it and reupload again. :)

Download link:
            http://www.mediafire.com/download/1och3u7kbighcpy/Farm.xnb

Thank you! I hope you like it. :notworthy:

DewdropDewdrop likes this.
            • Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

Cardinite, did you use other tilesheets to make your map edits? Can you tell me how its done? Each time I try to add a new tilesheet and use tiles from it, my game crashes when I load up the finalized .xnb file =(

• Cardinite

I use the default spring outdoors tilesheet, I haven't figured out how to pull sprites from other tilesheets without crashing either. I'm sure there's a way to do it but I'm not sure myself. I really hope someone figures it out though!

Jinxiewinxie likes this.
                • Jinxiewinxie

What I've ended up doing is adding a new little picture to spring_outdoorsTileSheet.png and the other 3 seasonal ones to have something new on my farm and see it in all seasons. Kind of ridiculous work around though.

Cardinite likes this.
                  • Cardinite

That's a clever workaround, I never thought of doing that. There's plenty of transparent tiles so I might give that a shot for some of the tiles I feel are missing. :)

Jinxiewinxie likes this.
                    • Goldenrevolver

Goldenrevolver Astral Cartographer

hey cardinite i was working on my own version of the farm (for personal use only) and am asking myself if everything about your map was done in an map editor (u used tide too right?). for example the dog/cat place. will the pet walk into a wall if i change it? and how did u change that? or if u change the lake or the shadows to be tillable, was that just by choosing the right one/ deleting everything or did u need to edit something else. same again for the mailbox. i saw the popup was hardcoded but did the rest simply move with it when u changed it? what do i need to consider when editing my map?

• endermaryn

Awesome. Thank you! This link to the planner should show the edits to the map I did. If not, then I can upload a screen capture somewhere.

I used straw flooring to cover the tiles that contain grey rocks around the north side of the map and in front of the greenhouse, dirt pathing to the shipping container, stepping stone paths around the greenhouse and the green tiles on the right of the greenhouse. I also covered some of the tiles that have white stones in the greenhouse area, though not all of them, as there were a lot of tiles in the area that had rocks that would show up beneath cobblestone and other flooring but getting rid of all them wouldn't look good either. There is also a stepping stone in front of the little statue and four tiles of wooden flooring in the pet bowel area that I could not place straw flooring on but would also like to see taken care of. The bowel can stay. :laugh: I ultimately like the green grass next to the greenhouse but it doesn't go all around so just having a little bit of it on one side looks sort of silly. If there was a way to ring the greenhouse in that grass, that would be awesome. I would totally put a fence all around the area.

I put a tree stump in the corner of the area to the right of the house. If it is possible to put a perma-tree where that stump is, then I really like the one that has violet leaves in the spring and keeps its leaves year round. The borders of the map have them. To the left of that, would it be possible to replace the medium bush with a small one? Would it also be possible to replace each of the two small bushes with a set of those perma flowers, one of each color, seen in the upper right corner of the map at the base of that perma-violet tree?

In the lower left corner of the map, I designed a lake in crystal flooring that is similar to the one you made. The weathered flooring indicates the pier and the stone flooring is used to indicate depth in the water like the original, vanilla small lake has in the middle of it. I originally thought that having the entire lower left corner be water would look good but have since changed my mind. I think it'll look better to put a perma-violet tree where the stump is and any combination of those pink and blue perma flowers, perma grass patches and a perma bush all on green, grassy flooring. I think this would create a cute, little oasis. The lake can be bigger if you think it would look better. The little pond near the entrance to the farm can stay. :)

So, these are a lot of little changes and I understand if you don't want do all of them. I can only imagine the amount of work involved. But I think a map like this would be super cute and classy and if you make it, then I hope a lot of other people will think so too.

Thank you again for considering the idea! :love: I hope this request is not too annoying.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
                        • Cardinite

Any edits to the farm.xnb files were made using tIDE and the default spring_outdoorsTileSheet.png.

The pets seem to be smart enough not to get stuck inside the walls, the main issue with re-tiling the pet bowl is that when (or if) your spouse fills it with water it re-appears in the old position. It's super annoying and I haven't found a fix for it yet :(.

I believe certain tiles have specific properties assigned automatically. For example the water tiles the lake uses all have the wave animation applied when you see them ingame. Other tiles like the actual lake edges, lilypads and flowers need to have the animations applied manually (check out the animations for the default map's lake tiles to see how this works then you can apply it to your own custom lakes). As the actual properties of tiles are determined externally, only certain tiles are tillable. The yellow dirt tiles are tillable, including yellow dirt tiles with pebbles and craters. Grass tiles and dirt tiles with "large" features like rocks and shade don't seem to be tillable, although I haven't checked all of them out yet.

Certain tiles like the mailbox and the doors to the greenhouse & farmhouse have custom properties attached. If you check out the buildings layer and right click the "weird" out of place tiles you'll notice in the tile properties window that "door" tiles and the base of the mailbox have custom action commands allowing them to be interacted with:

[​IMG]

You can assign these actions to other tiles to allow you to apply them to other areas. Adding the Action / WarpGreenhouse property to a cliff tile for example will allow you to teleport to the greenhouse by interacting with it ingame, however the actual outcomes of these actions are hardcoded and can't be changed (yet), and you won't be able to use custom actions you created yourself without somehow editing core game files. The same goes for the mailbox, you can move the mailbox sprite, delete the old one, and add Action / Mailbox to the new sprite and you'll be able to interact with it. The problem with this is that, again, the mailbox indicator is hardcoded and can't be moved using tIDE without modifying other files. Another example is the shipping container which can be removed or deleted, but since the lid and shipping interface is handled externally you'll be stuck with a floating shipping lid ingame.

• Jinxiewinxie

That corner lake is such a pretty placement! I hope if this gets made that its added to the OP for all ^_^

Cardinite and endermaryn like this.
                            • Goldenrevolver

Goldenrevolver Astral Cartographer

ok thx cardinite for the fast reply. while waiting it i figured some things out and together with your detailed explanation i got it all now :). its really similar to another program i used for game making where properties are also assigned to the tiles in general externally so this shouldnt be that hard. now that i know the few exceptions where custom properties are attached i can work with it. have a nice day

Cardinite likes this.
                              • Cardinite

Any maps the requester is happy with gets added to the main post, once I know endermaryn is happy with theirs I'll add it to the misc/requests section on the main post. :)

Thanks for the plan! It ended up helping a ton, I think I'll link the planner in the main post request notes section for people to use it in future. Having something to work off really streamlines the map making process since I know what the user wants to see.

I'll start with the bad news first and follow up with the good news: your request had a couple of things I couldn't quite figure out through no fault of your own. The dog bowl's sprite is attatched to the wooden floor underneath, so there's no way to separate it from the flooring. This can be worked around by manually editing the spring/winter/fall_outdoorsTilesheet.png files and editing out the flooring surrounding the bowl sprites- in case you aren't comfortable doing that I made the bowl area smaller so it should hopefully interfere less with your ingame tiling. I've been running into this issue with every map so far and there's not much I can do on my end other than make the dog's area a little more compact.

The second problem is again, an issue with the tile sheet itself. The "south cliff" tiles aren't transparent, so they all have dirt at the bottom which gives them a bit of an ugly border when placed next to a tile that isn't the "bright" dirt. I took some (well, a lot) of liberties to work around this and extended the lake through the cliff into more of a river. If you aren't bothered by the dirt conflicting with the water tiles or don't mind the lake ending a little early I can go back in and re-add the cliffs and bring the lake back to the original design.

Again, tilesheet issues ended up making it difficult to add grass directly next to the lake since the lake borders weren't made to handle tiles other than dirt and water. I added a secret entrance on the eastern cliff right where it meets the lake so you can walk through and place some wild grass yourself instead. Another compromise would be to place grass there using the grasspaths mod or retexture all the dirt into grass using the yellow dirt removal mod.

Lastly, more tilesheet issues (are we all seeing the pattern here guys? :lickitung:) - the deep parts of the lake are super awkward to work with and it's difficult to get the look you're going for first time around. The depth tiles are hit or miss since the outer curves all need to fit together and there also needs to be space for the inner curves to connect properly, otherwise you just end up with super blocky borders. IMO it doesn't look too bad, but I did prefer your version to mine.

As usual, I'm happy to re-edit the maps once you've checked them out. I didn't get a chance to playtest this one properly since spring has just hit on my save files. I added what I *think* is one of the perma "violet" trees to the top right corner of the map - if you've got a winter save you should check that out to make sure I got it right. Here's the link, be sure to get back to me if you notice any bugs, if I used to the wrong trees, or if you'd rather I went back and re-added the cliffs at the bottom (I might've just misunderstood the bottom row of your plan!) http://www.mediafire.com/download/x5weu8a2e9vemc0/Farm.xnb

endermaryn likes this.
                                • Cider

Cider Ketchup Robot

Thank you so much for the lake! it's so lovely and makes a nice fishing spot!

• Jinxiewinxie

Does it give you river fish or just the trash like the old map's lake did?

• Cider

Cider Ketchup Robot

I haven't tried yet as fishing in the beta is bugged currently, well at least for me it is. I just know the spot is going to become lovely because I already planned to center my orchard around it, especially the cherry trees.

endermaryn and Jinxiewinxie like this.
                                      • endermaryn

So I am super tickled over the secret path to the little bottom left corner. Super ingenious really! And you created this map so quickly! :3

Fortunately I had a winter backup so was able to test the map in spring and winter. Turns out the trees are not the right ones (the violet trees have a wider trunk that is more orange hued). And it seems as if the perma-trees don't react properly with the farm map. I can walk through the one next to the lake and the one in the house area eats the top half of the little bush below it. I can also swing a tool near it and it goes through the tree. In winter time, there is also a shadow beneath it. When planting grass near both trees, the trees sit on the grass and the blades of grass disappear into the trunk instead of swallowing up a part of the tree trunk. Since the trees don't seem to react well to the map, I'm thinking it would be best to just delete them. I can try planting lovely cherry trees in their place but I do not know if they will grow in the corner next to the fence or by the lake. Fruit trees tend to be picky about their areas. It would be much better if the perma-trees played nice. Thoughts?

I'm guessing there were issues with the perma-flowers too? Would you mind simply deleting the small and medium bushes to the left of the tree in the area near the house? The small one below it can stay for now :D

Would it be possible to delete the green strip on the right of the greenhouse? Flooring only covers part of it and while it is nice, it looks weird if there is only a tiny portion. There is also a stray stepping stone rock in the north path leading out of the farm.

Suddenly the rivers and water around town being bordered by sand makes perfect sense! I wonder why the tiles were designed that way.

The smaller dog bowl flooring is super adorable! The greenhouse looks better without the random flooring around it. And I love how the path to the shipping box is gone (got used to the clean look on one of your other map edits).

Which brings me to the lake.

I love it!! <3:love: I did not know that the cliff could be deleted. I never would have thought of suggesting that and even had I thought of it, I never would have thought it would look so good. The plan I sent you has the water ending at the cliff (there is room at the bottom where the cliff goes to the character's waist). But I like how the water goes through and ends somewhere between the farm and the forest map. Gives the body of water the impression that it is being fed from somewhere and that it is really big. It's already big enough to max cast with the fishing pole while standing at the end of the pier. I wonder what the cliff would look like if it were still there but I am not about to make you edit the area repeatedly. The secret path works like a charm and I can plant grass there and it looks lovely next to the water. The depth tiles look great too. :) All that needs to be done with water now is to delete the original small lake nearby. The tiny pond near the entrance of the farm can stay.

This is looking wonderful. Thank you so much. I look forward to testing out the next version :giggle: And I was reading through some of the older posts and realized some of my questions were previously answered. Thank you for your patience in answering them again. :laugh:

As far as questions on fishing in the lake go: There is no fish, just trash. Lots of soggy newspaper and broken glasses. However, this does not bother me as newspaper can be recycled into troches and cloth. Glasses and CDs into refined quartz. Broken sticks into logs and trash into coal. I call that a win. :poke: There is a fish culture mod in production that makes fishing on the farm possible though. I have not played with it but people seem to really like it. But I agree, Cider, an orchard centered lake would make a great fishing spot. ^_^

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
                                          Cardinite likes this.
                                        • Cider

Cider Ketchup Robot

Oh, you want a maple tree. Maple trees are violet with an orangish trunk in fall.

endermaryn likes this.