RELEASED SmoothFarm | General cleanup & farm map overhauls. Lots of choices to choose from.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Cardinite, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cardinite

Cardinite Industrial Terraformer

New map released: Oasis.

Standalone map based on the previous Canyon D release. Now contains a fully animated lake in the southeast corner of the map with a small pier for "fishing" (requires a mod for fishing on the player farm if one exists yet, otherwise could potentially pair well with the Fish Culture System mod until one is released.)

Base map GIF / Decorated GIF

Check main post for download. :)

taintedwheat likes this.
    • endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

o_O Wow. So glad you directed me here. Your maps are amazing!

Cardinite likes this.
      • Nameless_

Nameless_ Big Damn Hero

This is really cool :DD, how did you get the grass tiles in the 2nd gif?

• Cardinite

Nameless_ likes this.
        • ic00011

ic00011 Space Spelunker

Please, could you make a variant of "SmoothFarm Tidy" with only bushes, greenhouse grass and the large southern pond removed (I am somewhat scared that the removal of the shrine and the pet's bowl may mess something up)

• Meevers

Meevers Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do you think there's any way to make ONLY your farm mostly grass? I love the grass path. But there is no path for summer, and the winter one just doesn't look right. And I personally like the dirt patches around town.

• Cardinite

I'll give it a shot tonight, moving house right now so I won't get the chance for a while. Shrine remains in all the versions but the stone tiles in front of it are gone in the main versions. As for the pet's bowl, the bowl returns when your spouse fills it with water (I think this is hardcoded, I've found it conflicts with the Canyon map layout a bit so there will be a bugfix later when I get around to it).

The gravel path mod needs to be changed each season as it doesn't update automatically when the tilesheets change. You can have the "summery" grass all year by installing the spring version since they use the same sprite. I feel you though, I love the vanilla town and the total grass retexture makes it look a little strange. Here's hoping for a mod update or a new mod that'll solve this!

• Meevers

Yeah I know. But the grass doesn't match the summer grass. The summer grass is lighter in colour, so the green grass path is far too green in summer. That's really my only problem with it tbh. There's no summer version, and the winter one doesn't look right and it kinda bugs me. But the whole grass tile everywhere is too much grass. I wish there was just a way to place grass on your farm map wherever you want via modding but I don't think it's possible. :<

• Cardinite

Ah I see - I tend to play on the latest map I released to make sure there are no bugs and there's currently no grass on mine, so I didn't notice the difference in the grass.

If you're happy with your farm layout and don't plan on making any further changes you could try editing your maps like I do using tIDE and xnb node and placing the grass directly on the map. It's relatively user friendly once you get the hang of it.

upload_2016-3-31_15-20-30.png

It uses the spring tilesheets by default but they'll update automagically as the seasons change. The only reason I prefer using the gravel path/dirt overhaul mods is because placing actual grass tiles in tIDE permanently restricts your farmable area unless you extract your .tbin files, re-edit and re-pack. Maybe one day someone will create an in-game map editor but I have no idea if that's possible. :confused:

• Meevers

I mostly just want to extend the grass around my house. And in a couple areas I know I'm not farming. I do have a farm layout that I'll likely not change. I've never used tIDE before though, are there any guides etc I can follow to make sure I don't mess something up? Or is it fairly simple?

• Cardinite

It's fairly simple, it's mostly just understanding what each layer does. Since you only want to edit the floor tiles themselves you'll only be using the "back" layer. Lots of resources on this guide here: http://community.playstarbound.com/...-and-general-modding-discussion-redux.109131/

Extract the xnb_node files into your /Stardew Valley folder and make a folder called packed, and another called unpacked. Extract your content folder using "xnb_node.cmd extract content unpacked" into the unpacked folder and open the farm.tbin file in tIDE. Place your grass tiles directly on the "back" layer, save as a .tbin file and pack the unpacked folder into your packed folder using "xnb_node.cmd pack unpacked packed" then install the new farm.xnb file in the packed folder the way you normally would.

The worst thing you can mess up on the back layer is purely graphical, so worst case scenario is it doesn't look as nice as you had hoped. It just takes a bit of trial and error figuring out which tiles look nice together and making it look seamless. The building layer tiles can't be walked through, the paths layer is for spawnable "clutter" like rocks and weeds, permanent clutter like bushes and for light sources like you'd find in the slime hutch, the front layer is for things like trees that will only hide your character if you walk "behind" them and the AlwaysFront layer is for tiles that completely block your character like the roof above the cave and the trees at the bottom of the vanilla map.

• arrrtsay

arrrtsay Poptop Tamer

i want grass all my farm and i love your Oasis.

I hesitate but love both

• Cardinite

Sadly grass tiles can't be hoed but the Yellow Dirt Removal mod replaces all dirt on your farm with seasonal grass and looks quite nice on the Oasis map. I would love to make a grassier map using the vanilla tilesheet but it massively lowers the farmable land :(.

• Meevers

I'll have a bash at it! Only question I have is if I place a grass tile underneath an already placed building, will it mess anything up or will it be fine?

• Cardinite

For the most part it's fine, just try not to touch the purposefully out of place tiles like these ones on the buildings layer (if you do decide to edit that):
                              upload_2016-3-31_16-2-52.png
                              since they may have properties that allow you to enter the building.
                              upload_2016-3-31_16-4-38.png
                              upload_2016-3-31_16-4-53.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
                              • BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

Very nice overhauls mate!

Cardinite likes this.
                                • Katantunoro

Katantunoro Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, thank you for your great mods. Could you please make an Oasis map which moves the mailbox back to the regular position and puts the vanilla stairs at the northern entrance, rather than the cave you've created? Thank you :D

• Cardinite

Sure, I'll throw that together tonight when I move in. :)

• Katantunoro

Katantunoro Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks Cardinite! You're the best :)

• Meevers

Thanks for the help! I managed to do what I wanted to fairly easily, and it means I can edit my map myself if I ever wanna tweak or add some more grassy areas. :>