1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue SMAPI + Steam Link + Controller

Discussion in 'Support' started by impy695, Oct 15, 2017.

1. impy695

impy695 Space Hobo

I've been playing Stardew Valley on my steam link for a while now and LOVE it. The controller input (Xbox One) has been perfect with almost no issues.

I wanted to get some simple mods and installed SMAPI (2.0), I configured Stardew Valley in steam as the instructions stated and tested it directly on my PC. Everything worked perfectly. I then went to start it by using my Steam Link and input no longer works using my controller.

I've tried starting the game on my computer, making sure Stardew Valley has focus then starting my steam link and I've tried running SMAPI directly by adding it as a non-Steam game.

It looks like input is going directly to the console window that opens up first when using SMAPI and that's why the controller appears to not be working.

I've searched every way I can think of and haven't found a solution. Does anyone have some advice?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Hi @impy695. That's a known issue that affects some SMAPI players (it's not clear why only some people are affected). Apparently using InputMapper to trick the game into thinking your controller is an XBox 360 controller (which the game supports natively) might fix it; can you try that?

• impy695

impy695 Space Hobo

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm using an XBox One controller, are those not supported? I downloaded InputMapper to give it a shot to be safe and it's not recognizing my controller, unfortunately. I think it's because the controller is paired to my Steam Link rather than my computer directly. Since my computer doesn't have Bluetooth, it doesn't look like I'll be able to pair it either.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Yep, I think Steam Link might be the issue. Steam sends input to the first window that opens as you suspected, so you need to send input directly to the game (instead of through Steam). You could maybe use a Bluetooth USB adapter with your PC to connect directly?

• impy695

impy695 Space Hobo

To add to this, I'm thinking that only applies if the window stays open. For example, skyrim works fine because (I assume) the launcher closes.

I'll see if I can find a cheap Bluetooth adapter as you suggested, thanks for your help.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Let me know whether that works (or you find another solution). It may help the next person. :)

• impy695

impy695 Space Hobo

I gave the bluetooth adapter a shot but wasn't able to get my controller to connect from where my tv was as my computer and tv are separated by quite a bit and I just bought a cheap one. So, a very underwhelming conclusion but I promised to follow up.

It might have worked if they were closer or I spent the money on a better one though.

• shoeless03

shoeless03 Intergalactic Tourist

If anyone else find this thread in the future. Adding the SMAPI exe to Steam as a game and running that got mods to work with steam link for me.