1. Hey Guest! Our new game Wargroove has released! Check out the forums or wiki for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Tool SMAPI: Stardew Modding API

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ClxS, Mar 6, 2016.

1. boocat

boocat Void-Bound Voyager

YAY! Thank you, thank you, Pathoschild! It seems to be working now; it isn't shuddering and crashing like it was when it was throwing up those repeated error messages. It has just listed my mods and mentioned available updates, same as it used to do.

I wish I was clear on what I had managed to do to it... I did the beta 15 install perfectly, but then turned around and did something to the beta 16 update... makes me nervous because I proceed very carefully after printing out notes and reading them perhaps five times before I will even give it a try.

I probably just tried to get it finished too late in the evening. (That, and hubris.) I'll make a point in subsequent updates to do it in the morning after breakfast!

• PsychedelicNeckbeard

PsychedelicNeckbeard Orbital Explorer

Hey everyone,

SMAPI sent me here after I had some problems with SV. For a few days now the game starts to lag horribly after I've played for some time and if I somehow manage to get my character to go to sleep the game crashes. This happens when I play singleplayer and multiplayer. I think there is a problem with one of the mods I installed but I'm honestly to inept to fix it on my own so I would really appreciate it if someone could help me. :)

Attached Files:

• Mizzion

Mizzion Subatomic Cosmonaut

The Mod "Longevity" can't find the file named "Data.txt", which is supposed to be in Longevity's folder. So it keeps looking for it each update tick which is 60 times per second. Thus it's drawing too much memory from your computer. Removing that mod for now will fix it. I would also notify the author of the mod, and give them the following link https://log.smapi.io/gZ5kW3MH

• PsychedelicNeckbeard

PsychedelicNeckbeard Orbital Explorer

Thanks a lot for the quick response! I'll inform the author immediately :)

• forevergent777

forevergent777 Aquatic Astronaut

The other music works, but for some reason, the only music that never played since I started the 1.3 beta was the Pelican Town music. I've yet to try this without the mod, but I'm in the Winter season right now, so I'll update you on if it's the same case when I get to Spring.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Cosmos Killer

• simdebster

simdebster Void-Bound Voyager

When SMAPI says that a mod "patches" the game, what does that mean exactly? Are they actually patching to the new version of the game (hope not) or is it just a warning that the mod changes what the game code normally would do? In the case of the latter, just removing the mod should have it all back to normal correct? Or does this mean that your Save file is basically screwed upon removing the mod?

• Pathoschild

@simdebster

Short answer:

Those mods change the game code, so they can cause errors, crashes, and compatibility issues. If you run into problems, you can usually just remove those mods and your save file will be okay. That's not guaranteed though — since they're changing the game code, there's a higher chance they'll break your save data. Make sure to keep save backups just in case.

Long answer:
                Most mods run code alongside the game and make changes to the game state. For example, a mod might say "when the player activates this machine, remove these ingredients from their inventory and start the machine with this output". You can do a lot with that approach, but not everything.

A few mods use a more advanced technique called 'runtime patching'. Patching means changing the game code itself to work differently, and runtime means this happens in memory (the actual game files aren't changed). For example, such a mod might say "change the game method GameLocation.isCollidingPosition so it does X instead of Y". This can be used to do things which otherwise aren't possible, but it comes with important caveats. Since patches bypass normal C# protections, it's very easy to cause errors (including serious issues that may crash your game or corrupt your save). Troubleshooting and crossplatform compatibility can also be more difficult, and mods which use patching may conflict with each other. Patches may also have unpredictable effects on other mods, since they change the game itself.

To be clear: runtime patching isn't bad, it's just more fragile. Some things just aren't possible without it. Feel free to use mods which use patching, but if you run into problems then try removing those mods first. If the problem only happens with a mod which uses patching installed, report it to that mod's author (even if the issue seems unrelated to their mod).

• simdebster

simdebster Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks so much for your explanation. It helps a lot.

• Truthkeeper

Truthkeeper Void-Bound Voyager

Given that it happened right after a game update, I feel safe in assuming that the answer here is "The update broke SMAPI, wait until the next SMAPI update", but posting about it just in case. Immediate crash on starting, before anything loads at all.

https://log.smapi.io/4C0wTuJi

• Reput

Reput Space Hobo

Every time i open it is a crash
                      pls help

i dont have any mode in and is a crash every time

• Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Master-Pudding Forum Moderator

Please avoid doubleposting in such a short time. Use the edit function instead when making additions to your previous post.
                        I merged your posts.

• Mizzion

Mizzion Subatomic Cosmonaut

It would help if you gave more details. At the very least, you should go to https://log.smapi.io and follow the directions to upload your error log. Then share the link with us.

• Pathoschild

• Truthkeeper

Truthkeeper Void-Bound Voyager

Welp, glad I decided to post about it then. As the troubleshooting guide suggests, rebooting solved the issue entirely.

• Nurmie

Nurmie Aquatic Astronaut

• Pathoschild

@Nurmie Advanced Location Loader is causing an immediate game exit due to one of your custom maps. Removing either the affected custom map or Advanced Location Loader should fix it.

Nurmie likes this.
                              • Nurmie

Nurmie Aquatic Astronaut

That did fix my problem. Thank you. :)

• Snarkypie

Snarkypie Void-Bound Voyager

[QUOTE="Pathoschild, post: 3288800, Do the crashes still happen if you temporarily remove Advanced Location Loader, Animal Husbandry, Custom Farming Redux, Custom Furniture, Custom Furniture Anywhere, PyTK, SpaceCore, and Stack Everything?
                                  View attachment 203279

If I take all of that out, the game just loops me from choosing my save game back to the Chucklefish flash, rinse repeat.

• 13akoors

13akoors Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can you either report that error to the ALL mod in question, or let me know which ALL mod is causing that error. You're now the second person having that issue, and it'd be helpful to ALL and the other mod's dev to make sure this error is fixed

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018