RELEASED [SMAPI] Slower Fence Decay

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by OrSpeeder, Mar 15, 2016.

1. OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

This mod makes the fences decay slower, counteracting a bug in the game.

The game source for example shows that Wood Fences were supposed to last 1 month, 28 days, but the formula that calculates time is wrong, and makes them decay about a 2 days every night.

I can't fix the bug, but I made this mod that makes the fence decay more interesting overall:

All fences, get a bonus to their initial health, it can range from usually doubling their health (hard wood for example starts with about 240 health, my mod adds about 210 health to them at least), to tripling, but with the luck HEAVILY slanted toward the first (there is about 14% of chance of getting the mininum value, and only 0.000something of getting the maximum... my calculator broke trying to calculate the chance).

This should make fences less bothersome, not only breaking less, but not breaking all at once either, and is slightly more realistic too.

The version 0.5 requires SMAPI 0.39.2, it has no new features, only was updated for SMAPI.

Future version will support configuring the difficulty level of the mod (making fences break faster, or slower).

[​IMG]

Source link: https://gitlab.com/speeder1/FenceSlowDecayMod

I have a Patreon!

Hosting the files in the forums is too confused, I decided to put them for now in NexusMods instead:

http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/252/?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
      DatRaph, BlankSlater, Vith and 7 others like this.
    • OrSpeeder

I added the mod source :)

• Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

neat O: i didnt know they decayed like that. I'll be getting this then :3
        Im guessing this only works for freshly placed fences as well O:

• OrSpeeder

It will actually just detect all fences at night, detect if they have the old maximum value, and change to the new values, thus only existing fences that are not already zero-health will get updated when you install the mod.

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
          • Pandamonium_V

Pandamonium_V Intergalactic Tourist

Is there a Storm compatible mod that does this?

• OrSpeeder

I think that one of those "packs" of mods, where one modder has a single thread for several mods, has something similar, but I think it disables fence decay entirely instead.

• Erunestaron

Erunestaron Void-Bound Voyager

does it work with the new smapi version?

• OrSpeeder

It does work, but I don't officially updated it yet, but I don't see any reason for it doesn't work non updated.

I will only make an update to keep sure it won't break with SMAPI 0.39 (SMAPI 0.39 won't support SMAPI 0.37 stuff)

EDIT: nevermind that, 0.39 was released, and is not compatible with 0.38 either.

I decided I will leave this mod on 0.37 for now, it works on 0.38, and there is no new features that I need. (and 0.39 is highly experimental)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
                  • OrSpeeder

0.39.2 is now stable, thus I made an official update to it :)

Feature requests are welcome.

I also made a Patreon

• meganerd20

meganerd20 Master Chief

How do I install it? The game doesn't have a dedicated 'mods' folder.

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

It should be in Appdata. Do you know where to find it?

• meganerd20

meganerd20 Master Chief

There's no 'Appdata'. The Stardew Valley.exe is in Steam > steamapps > common > Stardew Valley. Also in the Stardew Valley folder is a _CommonRedist folder and a Content folder. The former has DotNet and XNA folders, which both have a 4.0 folder in them. The latter has Animals, Buildings, Characters, Data, Fonts, LooseSprites, Maps, mines, Minigames, Portraits, TerrainFeatures, TileSheets and XACT folders. There is no Appdata or Mods folders in any of those.

• OrSpeeder

Mods should go in a folder named "Mods" inside Stardew Valley folder (if there is none, create one... usually installing SMAPI do that for you though).

OR you can place mods in "Appdata", this refers to what happens when you ask windows to open a folder named %appdata%, in my PC doing this opens:

"C:\Users\speeder\AppData\Roaming"

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Oh! SMAPI checks both the Stardew Valley game folder and the Appdata folder by default? I thought it picked one of those based on a setting

• OrSpeeder

It actually use both if it can.

I prefer using SDV folder though... but I use gog.com SDV, that is installed in a sane location.

• Vith

Vith Cosmic Narwhal

I decided to make a new save that is dedicated to no cheating whatsoever, staying as close to the vanilla experience as possible. I really appreciate this mod, as it does fix the bug and makes them decay at the intended rate. Thanks!

• OrSpeeder

If you have any other mod ideas without cheating, tell me!

Vith likes this.
                                    • Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Not sure if it's possible, but make the horse easier to navigate with? There are a lot of complaints that the horse snags behind things due to its strange hitbox

• Vith

Vith Cosmic Narwhal

I actually don't have any ideas to be honest, but I do love your mods (I'm looking forward to that balance mod in the works). I'll donate to you when I can eventually, thank you!

• OrSpeeder

The whole game is riddled with strange hitboxes... I am not sure how to fix those yet, map modders also had problems with it.

Also I made the sprinkler mod because of it (the best use of T1 sprinkler required a layout that caused lots of hitbox bugs)