RELEASED [SMAPI] Skill Prestige Mod

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by Alphablackwolf, Oct 8, 2016.

1. stephanreiken

stephanreiken Pangalactic Porcupine

This isn't compatible with Luck or Cooking skill, though it doesn't crash with them it doesn't prestige them.

• crymblade

crymblade Void-Bound Voyager

that's fine but it crashes when the game tries to load.

• stephanreiken

Huh, did you update SMAPI? I heard there is a new version and I'm using the old one

• crymblade

please reread what I already said. I had a problem BEFORE the update. It says so in the error logs that it was using version 0.4. Updating SMAPI ALSO causes separate problems.

• Alphablackwolf

Alphablackwolf Void-Bound Voyager

Crymblade, your log doesn't show the skill prestige mod being loaded. It must be loaded *before* the cooking skill adapter is loaded, otherwise the cooking skill adapter will not have the references it needs to load.

• crymblade

ah, I understand. I'll need to test that later.

Btw about SMAPI v1, I heard something about needing to load resources later

• stephanreiken

How would you make that happen?

• Alphablackwolf

Well, namely the mod has to first exist in your mods folder, and second the folder name for the cooking skill needs to be alphabetically after the skill prestige mod

• crymblade

tested and working on SMAPI v1.1 thank you!

• Alphablackwolf

I have begun work on the Skill Prestige Mod version 2.0.

Here's a preview of what's currently complete and available on my github (for any other dev/tech savvy individual that would like to test or check it out before release):
                      -A new points-per-prestige setting that allows you to change how many prestige points you receive each time you prestige your skills.
                      -A new setting that allows you to turn on an experience multiplier. Currently it defaults to a 10% (changeable in the psconfig file) multiplier for each unspent prestige point in that skill. That means if you have 2 unspent prestige points, you have a 20% increase in XP gains for that skill!
                      -better handling for the cooking skill (and any future skill mods) experience gains, both through SMAPI command lines and the experience multiplier mentioned above
                      -better handling for luck/cooking/other skill mod level up menus.
                      -fixed combat prestige health not resetting
                      -added 'bonuses' framework
                      -added 'tool proficiency bonus' framework

What I'm working on next:
                      -additional things to spend your prestige points on for each skill, starting with farming. (+tool proficiency, +crop quality chance, +chance to harvest double animal products, +chance to harvest seeds with crops)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
                        JaBe, rafaellouy93 and foghorn like this.
                      • crymblade

Is chance to doublecraft possible? Or would it be easier to simply edit crafting recipes to be cheaper?

I'm guessing getting xp for skill-related food buffs would be a bit overpowered and hard to code anyway.

• Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

Looking forward to 2.0 but I have some suggestions based on my personal preferences.

- I dislike losing progress. I turn off recipes being unlearned, but it stills pretty frustrating for me especially when fishing gets a lot harder. Never being able to keep level 10 benefits frustrates me too (for example, farming level 10 you get a lot better crop quality compared to level 9). The solution: Make an optional setting that allows us to always keep all the "benefits" after prestiging. That way, the fishing meter won't get smaller, crop quality won't suffer, fatigue per use won't be worse, etc but we can still prestige over and over for the skills. Is this possible?

- I really dislike the idea of having to save up prestige points to get better XP but I love the idea of faster XP. I'd rather the XP just get faster and faster each time I prestige, even if I spend my points. Hopefully you will consider this as a possible option or setting.

Thanks for the great mod that makes playing past the first year much more fun!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
                          • MitcheII

MitcheII Void-Bound Voyager

Hey there, just thought I'd post the Error Log seeing as I'm having crashing issues with the mod on my Mac and SMAPI 1.3, essentially whenever I try to spend a Prestige Point. I've attached a couple of images showing some display issues also where the Prestige Button is way down the bottom right corner with a tiny hitbox.

Attached Files:

• benkc

benkc Space Spelunker

Hi Alphablackwolf,

Would you be willing to make a config option for a separate mode where, instead of getting prestige points by resetting your XP to 0, you get them automatically for certain hitting certain XP values beyond the standard 15,000 for level 10? I've verified that the player's XP continues to go up beyond this value. Perhaps the default XP per prestige point would be an additional 15000 -- also configurable, of course.

Thanks!
                              Ben

• TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've repeatedly run into an issue where I would lost prestige points or even selected prestiged skills (which is very infuriating)
                                I am not sure what the cause of it is, but could it be related to getting to level 10 multiple times in a day (through time stop and fishing for example) and that messing up the prestige selection? You can get to level 10, prestige and when you go to sleep it still shows you getting to level 10, select a skill and then show the next level 1, etc skill levels again.

Okay, figured it out, it's an issue with save-anywhere, the mod. Using that to save does not actually save the data.json because the mod basically makes a temporary save
                                However, skill levels are saved, so
                                level 10 skill -> prestige -> save-aynwhere -> close game, load game -> level 0 skill but no prestige point
                                this is relatively easily rectified by directly editing the data.json though
                                Basically, always make sure to save normally after prestiging a skill.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
                                • TenkoKuugen

I'll probably get yelled at for double posting, but how is progress for 2.0 coming along?

Also I noticed that resetting the cooking skill actually deletes all cooking recipes and that is definitely not intended.

There is also an issue where some skills have "leftover effects" if you get to 10, prestige, then sleep. For example, foraging.
                                  If you get to 10, prestige, sleep, select tracker, you WILL have tracker despite the skill not actually being level 10. This does not work with most skills but it does work with this one.

• drkfirwnds

drkfirwnds Void-Bound Voyager

I'm also curious about the 2.0 progress. Would anyone be able to compile his current version 2 progress in the github?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Then you may wish to try the All Perks mod instead, because that's the whole point of the mod is to sacrifice your skills for prestige points. If you don't want to do that, the All Perks mod simply gives you all the perks available at that skill level, so there's no going back and doing over.

• TenkoKuugen

You sacrifice your skill levels. It doesn't make a lot of sense to magically lose your memory of crafted things.
                                        And with Cooking for example, you also lose all those mail recipes and bought ones.
                                        Not to mention, leveling the skill to level 10 ten times is different from just getting all the perks for free. Saying "don't like it, just cheat" is bollocks quite frankly. There is a middle ground between pointlessly losing recipes and cheating to get all perks for free.
                                        The main bonus of skill levels is the stamina reduction (farming, mining, foraging), the number and quality of items you find (fishing, mining, foraging) and so forth. Not the recipes.

• crymblade

the cooking recipes are the only ones that should be kept. There's a middle ground there, too.