SMAPI on Linux?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by fuzzmustard, Mar 12, 2016.

1. fuzzmustard

fuzzmustard Space Hobo

Hello, I've been playing Stardew Valley on Linux and I'm keen to try out some mods. Haven't been able to run SMAPI yet, though.

1. Any linux users have any tips and tricks for running SMAPI in wine? I'm already using every single version of .Net, as well as xna4.0 and possibly some other stuff, in Wine. Wine 1.9.0-staging, currently, as that version of wine gives me amazing performance with Stardew and some other games.
    2. Is it possible for myself or the SMAPI developer to re-compile SMAPI for Linux? I've got a tiny bit of experience with Make.
    3. In the interim, what are some cool mods that don't use SMAPI? So far, I'm just using the annoying dog sprite.
    edit: here's a debug log http://dpaste.unisolinc.us/LzPj

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    • bdawson1993

bdawson1993 Tentacle Wrangler

Don't quote me on this but you can download mono runtime which can run .net applications.

• fuzzmustard

fuzzmustard Space Hobo

Possibly a good idea, I do have mono runtime, but I'm not sure how to run it with XNA support. I was only thinking about Wine due to Stardew itself working so well in it.

• MissPotato

MissPotato Big Damn Hero

How did you get SV to work well with wine? For me lags awfully bad (runs at about 1/3 frames). And load times take upwards of two minutes. I don't particularly that it doesn't work, I have a dual boot between Windows and Xubuntu anyways. Just curious if I missed something.

-- Edit: Sorry to derail, just didn't want to make a new post

• fuzzmustard

fuzzmustard Space Hobo

Are you using a recent staging version of Wine? If so, enable CSMT... whatever it is, it's great! And maybe try disabling GLSL, your mileage may vary.

• hobbified

hobbified Orbital Explorer

It's a huge pain, but believe it or not, I think I got it to work. Here's what I did:

1. Make a clean wineprefix, to avoid interference from anything else. Make sure it's 32-bit (export WINEARCH=win32 before starting).
              2. run "winetricks dotnet45" and let it install every single version of .NET from 2.0 to 4.5. There's a good possibility that it will tell you to go download a file from the internet, place it in a folder, and run the command again. If you do, it won't work the second time! If it happens, download the file, delete your wineprefix and start again from the beginning. Eventually you should have .NET 4.5 installed, and you can continue.
              3. Don't use winetricks to install XNA.
              4. Install Stardew. I used the GOG installer, but you can probably also winetricks steam and then install the game through Steam. The Stardew installer should install XNA for you, let it.
              5. Install SMAPI into the Stardew Valley folder.
              6. Run StardewModdingAPI.

Explanation: SMAPI uses .NET 4.5, but XNA uses .NET 4.0. If you just do things the normal way, you won't have .NET 4.5, Stardew will work, but SMAPI won't. If you try to install .NET 4.5 on top of a working install, it manages to break all .NET 4.0 stuff somehow (even though it shouldn't). But if you install .NET 4.5 *first* (and winetricks wrangles all of the windows version stuff and other prerequisites to make it work), and then install non-winetricks XNA and Stardew on top of it, you get a working Stardew with .NET 4.5 installed. After that, it's easy to install SMAPI the normal way.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
                lezmis likes this.
              • Pathin

Pathin Void-Bound Voyager

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
                foghorn likes this.
              • MakoTheFarmer

MakoTheFarmer Space Hobo

I'm just someone who got a chromebook and installed linux on it. I dont know this tech savy talk.