WIP [SMAPI] Butchery - butcher animals for meat! [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by ThatNorthernMonkey, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathCorporate

deathCorporate Void-Bound Voyager

can you update this to SMAPI 39.2

• ThatNorthernMonkey

ThatNorthernMonkey Aquatic Astronaut

• ThatNorthernMonkey

Done! needed to delete two lines out of the manifest.json :facepalm: still not much to it just yet, but sorted :)

• deathCorporate

deathCorporate Void-Bound Voyager

Woooooo thank you I would kiss you but i would kill you as for im lady Death :rofl:

ThatNorthernMonkey likes this.
        • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Happy Birthday! I'll save my critique for another day since I can't bring myself to be critical of someone on their birthday. But I do have some suggestions, largely in the way of matching game assets. For now, here is my current favorite (if somewhat overly detailed) guide to pixel art: http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299. I'm still looking for something a little more concise and maybe game sprite focused.

• sweetangel20

sweetangel20 Starship Captain

Happy Birthday! Sorry I'm late.

• ThatNorthernMonkey

I honestly don't think CA could have made it more difficult to add content to this game. /rant

Declension likes this.
              • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

:facepalm: So it turns out there is actually a roast bird sprite already in the game! It is in Festivals and is probably a turkey. Measures 18x10 but could easily be shrunk by a couple of pixels without distorting it much.

• Crafes

Crafes Seal Broken

Hey nice mod you have going on! I see some forum members are trying to contribute, so I retextured your cleaver to make it more 'Stardew-ified'. Here it is:[​IMG]

Enlarged:[​IMG]

I've retextured the Prehistoric Tibia Sprite and flipped it for a new bone. Here it is:[​IMG]

Enlarged: [​IMG]

I plan on redoing your Sedative sprite a bit later. Also please don't force yourself to use these images, if you don't like them then don't use them. Thanks for creating an awesome mod!

EDIT:
                  I really couldn't decide which one I liked best. I'm leaning more on the 4th one although: [​IMG]

Enlarged: [​IMG]

That's it, again please don't use these sprites over your ones if you don't like them. Good luck with the mod.

DOUBLE EDIT:
                  Your pixel art isn't half bad. When shading, you need to pick more definite colours, especially as Stardew Valley is such a vibrant game. Also for texturing for a game, study closely at the sprites. If you did you would've noticed that every tool in the game points north-east and thus it would look more in place if it was uniform with the rest of the sprites.

Your sprites miss bold outlines (insert vibrant game argument here) and that's why to me they look bland and stale. Also don't be afraid to borrow colors from existing sprites in the game. Remember that bold doesn't mean thick, and I think your outlines are a bit on the thick side. They are looking more like blocky border rather than complimenting outlines.

And another side note, you added dithering to your sprites, which Stardew Valley doesn't do (or at least minimises the use of it) and it gives an ugly and unwanted texture to the sprites, so instead of doing that look into banding (putting dark colors in normally light areas around the edges).

Gonna cut it off as I'm terrible at closing statements.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
                  • Declension

Declension Cosmic Narwhal

So how's everything been going so far? o 3o

• ThatNorthernMonkey

Thanks for the advice! Honestly this is one thing I've struggled with for a long time.. I really don't have an artistic bone in my body :p from web design, graphics, sprites, just simple drawing.. something I've never been able to do :p So the critique is really helpful!

Declension: not brilliant really. I had a full day of "getting things done" but there's nothing in releasable state. Mainly I've been waiting for this SMAPI rewrite (which we modders have our hands on as of this morning) to be able to hook into certain events for saving. We've been discussing a lot in Discord about how we want the new API to handle the saving for all of the mods instead of everyone implementing their own. I need to get on with the crafting recipe overhaul.. need to write the hover box to show description and ingredients, but it *can* now accept custom recipes and create items that it doesn't know the type of at compile time. Need to rework the way we create new objects, the new API should help with that. Once I can force myself to get through these little annoying bits we can carry on adding content and expanding the mod in general. I've spent a lot of time really looking at the way XNA works to try and understand things a bit better too. Next week... far too much procrastination and beers lately :-/ Apologies.

• Oboromusha

Oboromusha Pangalactic Porcupine

People, a little heads up to anyone using this during WIP stage. I'll try to keep this short and sweet and to the point because nobody is talking about these two showstopping bugs, so that's probably your first priority - not sprite work.

1- Weapons when swung on certain stages in the mines and skull cave and other random locations on the map will basically remotely kill your livestock, sometimes duplicating meat drops as you slash repeatedly when you hear the animal "death rattle" audio - this happens depending on where you placed your barn/coop. Not easy to reproduce, but it should happen if you play with this mod on for a while. In my case first remote kill victims are inavriably the cows, then it moves on to other livestock, but I noticed that putting them down directly in the barn (as intended) causes damage to the chicken next door. Weird.

2- Worse still is the fact that killing livestock will not instruct the parameter <animalsthatlivehere> on your save file that those IDS are gone. Reason for this is that the game only knows one way to dismiss these IDS from the lines of code: selling the animals. So after you've butchered a few animals for meat and the barn/coop occupation quota reaches its total, you can no longer purchase animals, even if effectively the barn is empty. You can't even ask Robin to demolish the building - it claims to have animals in it. The way to do this now is to Ctrl+F for this parameter in the save file and delete all animal ID strings in between these tags, for each building: <animalsthatlivehere></animalsthatlivehere>

Hope this helps focus the work on this mod, because it's a great idea that can be massively expanded upon with cooking recipies and whatnot, but firstly, the behavior needs to be tuned so that its rules actually do not conflict with vanilla's.

Tested with SMAPI 39.6
                        Game ver. 1.06
                        Butchery mod ver 0.02

• ThatNorthernMonkey

haha please people, do not use this mod!! Made me laugh though, hope I didn't ruin your save. It musn't be making sure the coordinates are within the farm or animal buildings when you hit things, so if there's an animal in those exact co'ords in the farm or some other location it just applies the damage to them all. No idea why it likes to kill the cows first. So many bugs, but I really appreciate letting me know all this. I won't be messing about with the XML in the save files but I will be refining this so nobody needs to. Infact, after posting this message I'm going to delete the mod for now as a lot of the issues you raised are severally game breaking. I will re-instate the mod when its in a state to be consumed by the public and some of these problems are ironed out.

Oboromusha likes this.
                          • ThatNorthernMonkey

This mod has been removed and is no longer available for download.

Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.