WIP [SMAPI] Butchery - butcher animals for meat! [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Gameplay Mechanics' started by ThatNorthernMonkey, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zyymurgy

zyymurgy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Love the concept, but don't like the thought of using a weapon on my animals. I'd much rather something like a "miracle potion" to put them to sleep peacefully, because I don't like the thought of hurting my cows for beef. I'd like to humanely slaughter animals whenever I can. Maybe a craftable sleep potion made with hops (which is a soporific irl)? Or have like, a "slaughter kit" which includes a potion and the butcher knife so it's implied you're putting them to sleep before killing them?

I'm also considering that there might be accidental slaughter since it's a pain to push animals around and they go in and out automatically when it's dark/light. If you had a sleeping potion, you could push your animal to a pen, sleep it, then slaughter it without there being danger to your keeper animals? And if you accidentally sleep the wrong animal, you could let the potion wear off.

OTHERWISE, I love this mod and plan to use it when it's finished. It adds the extra layer of realism that a farm needs, and since CA announced removing it I've been thinking about it more. If you buy local meat, you're ENSURING that they've been raised in comfort and killed humanely, not like those crooks at Joja. ;)

kyttyn likes this.
    • Declension

Declension Cosmic Narwhal

Nice idea, adding it on to the list of options. It might be a while before the mod is finished though.
      There are a lot of ideas, tools, buildings, npc, code, art, etc going on and we kinda want this optional on all spectrums..
      Just it won't be done any time soon haha. All we have is what Ape left behind, not much more than that (And coded artisan goods now that Monkey made).
      Lots of work to do~

zyymurgy likes this.
      • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Since you mentioned options, may I humbly suggest a meat growing plant as well? I know it's a little silly, but I don't think it's too out of line for the tone of the game and it would give an additional option for those of us who are too squeamish for even the gentlest form of butchering, or in my own case simply get too attached to virtual animals. And I totally understand if it's a low priority since there is still so much to be done. As a peace offering, I'd like to offer a quick little sprite: BaconEggs.png

Zoomed in: BaconEggsPreview.png Critique welcome, but if you like it feel free to implement it whenever you get to that stage.

• nuocmamt

nuocmamt Poptop Tamer

Just get a butchers knife, what you would get from it is skin-> can be to turned to leather, feathers --> used to craft stuff, bones -->used to craft, and meat --> used to cook food. The amounts for each is varying depending on animal.

izzy82 and ThatNorthernMonkey like this.
          • ThatNorthernMonkey

ThatNorthernMonkey Aquatic Astronaut

Todays Goals

- Write a json serializer library to save the state of our custom objects (the native XML crashes the game on save with custom objects)
            Includes: serializing, deserializing and tracking the state and location of all of our custom objects.
            Implementing all the code to track the objects themselves throughout their lifetime.
            - Finish our initial implementation of our fully custom Meat Smoker machine!

Superior_s and Declension like this.
            • ThatNorthernMonkey

Bacon and eggs! Nommy. Thanks for this :) There's already some meat-based recipe sprites from CA's implementation so we have a couple things to work with already on that side.

nuocmamt: Great ideas!

Superior_s likes this.
              • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

I know, I checked to make sure there wasn't already something that looked to be bacon and eggs. I can't quite decipher what some of them are meant to be, but I was fairly certain I wasn't repeating anything existing, and it would make for a really easy recipe. Also that's where I found the empty plate, up with the regular recipes on the left side below the garbage. It's very useful for custom recipes.

• ThatNorthernMonkey

Update

Finished the actual implementation of the json stuff, need to hook into the right events so I can remove the dev keybinds I'm using. Also, we now have a near-fully functional Meat Smoker that cycles correctly! Rest of the night will be refactoring the mess I've made.

The artisan machine sprites need to be a transparent png, 15x30 pixels if anybody fancies taking a look at a meat smoker sprite :)

Superior_s likes this.
                  • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Is this what you're looking for? MeatSmoker.png

MeatSmokerPreview.png
                    It's an edit of the barrel, as you can probably tell. Let me know if I made any mistakes, I just googled images and worked from those and my vague recollection of televised barbecue contests.

• ThatNorthernMonkey

Love it :) Thanks. Full credits in the OP with next release :)

• darkvergus

darkvergus Void-Bound Voyager

When will it be?

• ThatNorthernMonkey

• ThatNorthernMonkey

Not 100%, still refactoring and making a lot of the code reusable. As soon as I have it where I want it (no more than a couple days I imagine) I'll release the version with the Meat Smoker and go from there :)

Declension likes this.
                          • Ciriun

Ciriun Big Damn Hero

Yay, one of my sprites made it to a mod! :party:

Superior_s likes this.
                            • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

Slightly off topic where are the animations for things like the furnace, cheese press, etc.

• Sasaki Kojiro

Sasaki Kojiro Big Damn Hero

You made a meat smoker, so I have a crazy question to ask of you. I love cooking and everything about it, so how about allowing different flavors of smoked meat using different types of wood? You made animals have a use beyond producing their product, so how about fruit trees? Different wood from different fruit trees accent the meat in different ways and increase the value of the meat. Each tree could also drop a bunch of wood to make it worth it. It'd be a use for them when out of season other than just sitting there.

ThatNorthernMonkey likes this.
                                • irrimn

irrimn Pangalactic Porcupine

Awesome work on this so far guys! You're my heroes!

All I have to say about this is, make butchering at least as profitable as selling the animal, please!

In other words, a pig costs 16,000g and sells for 20,528g at 5-hearts. If gold-star bacon doesn't sell for at least 20,528 (or the pig should multiple pieces that add up to around that much), then you're better off selling the pig -- which, given how long it takes to raise a pig to 5-hearts (and the cost of feeding it until then), you should probably be making more than that. Granted, I think if you buy a pig and immediately slaughter it (poor baby pig) you should probably only get half of your money back -- with 2 or 3-stars being break even (worth 16k) and 5 stars being more profitable than just selling the animal.

Granted, I'm not asking for slaughtering animals to be PROFITABLE -- just so much so that you're not just losing bunches of money for doing it.

Personally I'd prefer the animals to drop MORE items that are worth less individually. Also eventually we should work the new meat-based recipes into the gift lists (so that it'd be worth giving recipes cooked with meat to villagers).

For balance sake I made a mock-up of the yield of a pig at each heart level so you could get an idea what I mean.

Hearts: 0 Heart | 1 Heart | 2 Heart | 3 Heart | 4 Heart | 5 Heart
                                  Yields: 10*800 | 14*800 | 17*900 | 20*900 | 21*1000 | 24*1000
                                  Worth: 8000 | 11200 | 15300 | 18000 | 21000 | 24000

Basically, a 0-heart pig would give 10 pieces of no-star bacon, each worth 800g. A 5-heart pig would give 24 pieces of gold-star bacon, each worth 1000g. This means a 0-heart pig would end up costing you 8k (if you bought and butchered the pig the same day), whereas a 5-heart pig would make you a small profit (keep in mind, the time invested in raising the pig to 5 hearts is still considerable (a year?) and this is in no way comparable to crops which are still insanely profitable).

Of course, keeping in line with CA's vision, cooked items should be near equivalent in value as the ingredients that compose them (so that cooking is not inherently profitable). Artisan items (such as smoked meats) should have a simple scaling modifier (like 1.5 or 2-times the base value).

Edit: Animals that have alternate products (duck feather, rabbit's foot) should probably also drop those on death (which would make buying ducks to slaughter them for their feathers a valid, if not ruthless, tactic).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
                                  • ThatNorthernMonkey

Lots of good ideas :) I'm taking them all and sticking them in a text file in my project to refer to as I go on.

The main animation they do (the squeeze / expand) is sort of inherent, it just happens for artisan machines lol. I was looking at creating a smoke animation (like the green Keg bubbles) and they're located in TileSheets\animations :)

Superior_s likes this.
                                    • Superior_s

Superior_s Sandwich Man

The smoke animation was why I was asking because if we wanted to be lazy we might be able to modify the smoke animation for your houses chimney and use it for the meat smoker lol. Or just make a new animation from scratch. Thanks for the info though.

ThatNorthernMonkey likes this.
                                      • ThatNorthernMonkey

[​IMG]

Todays Progress Update

- Added feature that changes the name of the artisan goods based on the item put in
                                        - Added price changes varying on quality of item put in
                                        - Added ability to remove placed machines. Bit hacky atm.
                                        - Added animation - needs tweaking a lot. Out of position and meh.
                                        - Added the icon above the machine for when its contents are ready
                                        - Refactored some code, needs a lot more though.
                                        - Fixed numerous little niggles.
                                        - Added a feature request to SMAPI to add Pre and Post Save() events so I can hook in the serialiser.
                                        - Added the code to draw stack sizes for custom artisan goods in the inventory
                                        - Added stack size to ArtisanGoodsSaveModel

Major Bug: When deserialising / re-creating objects the boundingbox on the machines sometimes aren't set, making them useless. Will look into this more when the Save() events are implemented.

irrimn, Declension and Superior_s like this.
                                        Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.