Small universes

Discussion in 'Other' started by Awwkaw, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Luci

Luci Subatomic Cosmonaut

Although slightly off-topic from the OP (I did read every damned post on this thread),

In any scientific formula, there are unknown factors and variables. For example, as previously stated, F = ma. However, there may be dozens, hundreds--thousands of different variables in that formula which we remain clueless about because we, humans, don't have the ability to see/perceive/feel them.

The results in the aforementioned formula will only be exactly the same because ALL the beforehand conditions were exactly the same from the previous result as well. I'm not just referring to the object's mass and acceleration; when I say all, I literally mean every single factor---all the knowns and unknowns. However, much of it is unknown to us humans, therefore having "randomness", or the lack of prediction to certain things, from our perspective.

That's just my theory.

Farbius and §hifter like this.
  2. Awwkaw

Awwkaw Starship Captain

yep, i do agree, but you still cannot know if the formula is correct :rofl:

3. Luci

Luci Subatomic Cosmonaut

The formulas in physics are not 100%, absolutely, correct and true. They are subject to change as we discover new things.

Agreed.

4. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

I said basically the same thing x_x
    Yes, for example there is the gravitation of matter from the rest of the universe to consider. They affect the F you will get as well. And besides that there's the universal inflation, which also might have some influence. And there might be a ton of other things. But what i said was that theoretically, if you knew all those factors you could predict with what force exactly will the object hit another object. And since it is theoretically predictable, it can only happen in that one way. Because if you count and get a specific number, the object will hit another object with force specifically equal to that number. There can't be any other number.

Whether we know these laws or not, it is irrelevant. Our universe works by them.
    Of course, anything might prove different at any moment, but that doesn't change the fact that the universe works according to certain laws. Everything you see around you proves it. The technology created proves it. That life appeared proves it. How the planets spin around each other proves it. That the universe works according to certain laws is a fact.
    The only debatable thing are what are those laws? And how much do we understand them? Are there some other laws by which the laws we know change?
    These kinds of questions are debatable.

Also, to anyone interested in quantum physics, i think i found a jackpot:
    http://www.spaceandmotion.com/quantum-theory-albert-einstein-quotes.htm

5. Awwkaw

Awwkaw Starship Captain

and as stuff change, you can never know if gravity will work tomorrow, it might be tired and take a day off (i know this is a silly example), but it have worked every day so far, so we can ASSUME, that it will keep working, but in reallity we can never know

6. Awwkaw

Awwkaw Starship Captain

it doesn't prove it, it shows that it is right under some circumstances, but it doesent prove it, it shows that it mght be the truth but thats not proof, as said, proofs only exists in mathematics, we can assume that it's proof but it's in reality not.

now nice link, exept it says albert einstein on it, and all should know that Albert Einstein really hated quantom physics, since it couldn't be predictet, while Niels Bhor loved it, since he made it.

7. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Physics and Mathematics are related. If we assume nothing is certain, then we can assume we don't know anything. And then we can assume nothing is real. Perhaps i am a twenty-meter tall two headed ogre, and you are currently in a stasis in a universe with completely different laws of physics than you are experiencing in this hallucination that i created and am participating in it via technology you don't understand.
    And while it is possible, first of all such thinking is pointless, and secondly it is very unlikely.
    Whatever the case, even if everything is subject to change, and even if what i wrote about being an ogre was true, for something like you are experiencing to be possible there needs to be some laws according to which everything works.
    See my point?

Still, Whether Einstein loved of hated quantum physics, he actually contributed to it as well in a way. And he made other great discoveries.

8. Farbius

Farbius Title Not Found

My Head is EXPLODING!!! What are you saying??????????o_O I fell so stupid!

9. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

If the laws of physics do not apply in the future, God help you.

§hifter and Awwkaw like this.
  10. Luci

Luci Subatomic Cosmonaut

You know what? Fuck physics and their laws. Forced PVP on certain planets will be my kind of law. Kill dem n00bz.

AudAx, Awwkaw and Pikkon53 like this.
  11. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

Sounds good to me.

Awwkaw and Luci like this.
  12. Awwkaw

Awwkaw Starship Captain

yep i do see it, and thats nearly exactly what i meant, even thou you can always be certain of mathemathcis and not of physichs. why is it silly thinking so? why an orgre, weh actually know what it looks like, you might as well be air, be a feeling or be emtiness, we cannot be sure of biological craves to life either.

indeed he did, but he would much rather have chosen the simpler version that he made.