1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

small cobblestone rant

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by wemelchor, Feb 7, 2014.

1. wemelchor

wemelchor Lucky Number 13

I have been around the universe of starbound for awhile now. I pretty much know and have seen some beautiful variations of cobblestone that I personally would have wanted to use. but unfortunately when I harvest a cobblestone, I get cobblestone A and cobblestone A only, and boy is cobblestone A ugly. use it for roofing material and you will see the difference between other blocks. the artist has worked very hard on the look and the feel of the game, please make the other cobblestone harvest-able. It wont hurt, and it will give me more to build.

2. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

why not make cobblestone bricks outa em, those aren't that ugly.

3. wemelchor

wemelchor Lucky Number 13

I agree but again, more variation is never a bad thing

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Right now its not exactly all cobblestone they are doing different materials for each. Like Rock A, B, C , D --> which drop cobble stone. I do believe some one was working on a "Rock Mod" which does what you want.

Though you would have to search for it

Tamorr likes this.
  5. MarcusDemonicus

MarcusDemonicus Space Kumquat

i mined several colors of raw cobblestone and they all stack on their own but when i make bricks out of them they all combine into the same color brick. im hoping in the future they will implement it so they each form their own color brick. would make for some more variety in building designs.

Yzzey likes this.
  6. Sherio88

Sherio88 Big Damn Hero

I concur with this.

I'm a builder, I love all the variation in color and texture... but I dont like that all dirt becomes yellow when you brick it up... and all cobblestone turns into one design when you place it.

Tamorr and Yzzey like this.
  7. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

I thought this was going to be a perfectly reasonable rant about how long it takes to mine cobble with the matter manipulator. But I agree with your point. Bring the colors on!!

8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Can the painting tool be used on the bricks and packed dirt? that I am curious about, and haven't gotten back up to the level to be able to use that yet.

I agree with most other things said, as in having a way to obtain the different versions of cobble, even if it is labeled as something else; when not just a different color that is. This among other things. Like a way to gain that wood used in floran villages and other races' buildings. If there is a tree that drops that, I have yet to see them unfortunately.

9. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with the design/texture, but I'm on the fence about color. I'd almost rather leave that for something like a paint tool where we can change the colors ourselves than have another couple thousand non-stacking variants of the same material.

Tweak, LazerusKI and Tamorr like this.
  10. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

This is a very good point! I agree. But can it be done? Anyone has a painting tool? I'm only at tier 3. I play slow..

11. Fammia

Fammia Subatomic Cosmonaut

nope, paint tool doesn't work on bricks somehow.

12. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Awww... But thanks for checking..

13. Cloudy Mind

Cloudy Mind Aquatic Astronaut

I hate the grey cobblestone. It shouldn't appear on the surface of planets.

14. Some time ago Tyi asked for opinions on how this should be handled. People were concerned about bag space more than building variety.

Yzzey likes this.
  15. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

wondering about that, thanks. Maybe something could be put into suggestions forum for such... As it would be a good idea to have for a lot of the uniform color ones; so we might able to expand the pallet (sp?) of colors on certain blocks if we so desired via the paint tool. I know certain blocks do have a color pallet for randomization, and quite a few furniture items have it for use with the paint tool. Easy to figure out from the asset graphics. (just summarizing what I know)

16. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

Minecraft handled it by adding in silk touch. Starbound could handle it by having an upgrade to the diamond pick or drill That does not improve mine speed at all and is completely optional.

17. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

I sincerely hope they do look at this in the future- there should be some sort of variation in the cobble, even if there are, say, 3 variations- large, medium and small. Plus more general crafting in blocks in general. I don't want to have to rely on Mods for something that should be considered standard crafting in-game. I've looked quite extensively and haven't seen much on what CF's plans are for such blocks... if anyone can find anything, please post it here! Also re: bag space, we actually have quite a bit of room in our current bag inventory, I have no issue with various patterns of rock/stone/brick, I'd just like to see better/larger chest inventories for storage when I get back home.

ps/edit- there are PLENTY of suggestions in that sub-forum already, I'd just like to hear from the big-wigs on what the plans are :p I even created a Kiln suggestion a while back asking for kind of the same thing. Unfortunately so many suggestions, so few Dev comments.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  18. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

I remember that poll. I think one of the options was similar to what I was talkign about here, but it went even farther and had something like "all blocks of a type stack and color is determined by matching the palette of the planet you are on". That is a bit too extreme, especially with miltiple biomes per planet, but I still like the idea of keeping variety while preserving bag space. At least when the textures of the blocks are the same.

Edit: Found it. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/coloured-blocks.30493/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    Zouleena likes this.
  19. Sherio88

Sherio88 Big Damn Hero

Bag space is easy to preserve with the delete function though.

20. Meanbeans

Meanbeans Star Wrangler

I hope, in future updates, that they make more variations of cobblestone... I wonder how hard it'd be to make a mod to do just that...?