1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Slime Race Mod (Outdated) discontinued

No longer being maintained. Please check Hieru's version.

1. XelSlime

XelSlime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@misterknight - I'll consider something, if I learn how to do it. There's probably something hidden around here somewhere, or maybe a master of LUA could lend a hand.

Ramare, I just got through re-spriting the body image files (but haven't updated yet) so depending on the palette selection (of which there are two types), you can have either the regular puddle-of-slime look, or solid feet. I wanna get those elemental slime whips I keep talking about outta the way, as well as fix up some more (well-overdue) Slime Sphere colors, and get a quest in place for "Sticky Wall Jump", but... I dunno, maybe after that's up, you can take a look at the sprites and try making them more shiny, if you like.

Be forwarned however, the palette lines are a big-but-organized mess. It's all for letting people select their style.

Also, I adjusted the eye coloring, and the rainbow of palettes. Floran "hair" should no longer seem like it's glowing, the eyes will stand out a bit better against said hair, and... we're up to a total of 104 colors, but I've gotta throw in a few shades of brown for chocolate or caramel or whatever else yet.

...And it appears our moment of fun is over. The mod is no longer on the front page in Steam's Workshop, but I wonder if that might change if we do a big enough update... Heh. I'd be amused enough though if and when Antyrus puts the Lamia mod up there with us. See how much attention THAT one gets.

Wall Jump quest done.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. misterknight

misterknight Orbital Explorer

i got a simple idea for a new weapon i dont know what its called but it pulls a prey towards the slime and pulls it inside her body and it dissolves it is that a good idea?

3. XelSlime

An amusing thought, but I don't know if I could picture slime PEOPLE doing that. I could sort of imagine a monster being created that somehow drags and engulfs player characters though, causing damage over time.

Huh. That'd be kinda neat to see now that I think about it, maybe a giant monster like a gelatinous cube in slime and sewer mini-biomes, but I wouldn't have any clue how to go about it.

As for slime people, the most I'd imagine is something like a tractor beam (like the XS mechs) for behavior, but made to look like a tendril reaching out and grabbing the target. Gonna be troublesome if it isn't somehow fixed up to match the user's skin color though. One would have to make a color of it for every palette, like I'll have to do for Slime Spheres if I don't figure something else out.

Actually that reminds me, eight days ago, Errors4l responded to my request for help simplifying the whole sphere color idea. I still haven't tried to do anything with it 'cause
    1. I... kinda forgot about that, and
    2. I'm not good with coding.

If this can work out, it might open up all sorts of interesting ideas.

4. misterknight

misterknight Orbital Explorer

but i meant it with small monsters like gleaps or poptops or other small creatures

5. XelSlime

XelSlime updated Slime Race Mod with a new update entry:

sprite/palette tweak + whips, swords, and spheres

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. Saint Apollyon

Saint Apollyon Phantasmal Quasar

7. XelSlime

8. XelSlime

I forgot about that. I'll take a look at them if I ever get around to making custom creatures... though someone's expressing dislike of the thought, noting not really liking it when someone tries to turn one game into another, like... adding a mess of extras to Starbound that basically turn it into an advanced Terraria..... which we know it is (minus sloped blocks and invasions at least, I miss those), but still, I suppose I can understand their opinion, so maybe I should think of an alternative, or just leave slime blobs to the slime mini-biomes and Frackin' Universe slime planets.

Maybe if I knew how to create villages and dungeons...

Actually, speaking of that, has anyone got the time and knowledge for doing such a thing? It could even be an add-on you personally create to work with this mod.

Saint Apollyon likes this.
  9. Warboss_Spriggs

Warboss_Spriggs Pangalactic Porcupine

Pick up a D&D book. Slime monsters are a staple of just about any D&D setting. They might give you some ideas for slime monsters, (not to mention the very iconic Gelatinous Cube). You don't need to limit them to slime biomes, or sub-biomes, as with some slime like Ochre Jellies and Black Puddings, you can have spawn in tombs and underground dungeons.

10. XelSlime

Silly thought. One of us should make up an add-on (or stand-alone thing) which tosses in a variety of humanoid monster enemies based off things like this and Antyrus's Lamia Race mod. Not necessarily all female, mind... and maybe there could be elemental variants in different biomes.

Slimes would probably move slower than average, look a bit... not-all-there by their facial expression, maybe a bit more melted-looking than player slimes as though they're less focused, shuffle in a zombie-like fashion when chasing their prey, and occasionally throw a slime-like balloon-type projectile (matching their color and element, doing some acid damage perhaps if normal), which would spawn a bit of liquid wherever it bursts. Maybe throw a punch or somehow grab a person who gets too close. No idea how grabbing would be done, but there's that mech mod with a tractor beam on some models, so maybe it's not impossible. It'd make them troublesome to fight up close unless you're prepared, but probably best fought at a distance.

Lamias....... I'm not sure, I'd leave that thinking to Antyrus or other people.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  11. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

I personally saw 'monster' slimes being more 'primitive' in design, like being just a lumpy eye or something. But every race has hostile variants, so I'd guess it'd only make sense that there's some form of enemy humanoid slimes.

12. Ramare

Ramare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey there, everyone. Now that the puddle feet situation seems to have been resolved, I made an updated version of my slime race sprite edits. Since I don't have to provide a separate version for puddle feet it's now easier to install and an even smaller download. The shininess looks a little bit weird with the puddle legs in the idle sprites, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker and I don't think I can actually fix it without messing up the shininess for the non-puddle version too. It doesn't actually matter, anyway, because this is mostly for me (releasing it to the public is just a gift for anyone that happens to be interested) and I don't use the puddle feet.

For your convenience, a list of changes in my edit compared to the (as of writing) original mod's sprites:
    Everything is shinier, Detailed Species-style.
    Removed the "bounce" from the female sprite sheet, for a combination of "prudish" and practical reasons.
    Fixed some rogue pixels, including some which I somehow managed to miss the first time I did this (silly me).

Now with some actually proper preview screenshots. Wow!
    Slime1.png Slime2.png Slime3.png Slime4.png

Link here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7hbn0ke6b8879n2/Edited_Slime_Race_Sprites_V2.rar

13. XelSlime

A friend seems to think it looks more like the race's made out of metal with the shiny adjustment, but... that's really just personal opinions I suppose. Uh... It's sort of interesting. maybe in different palettes, it could look better, I dunno. Also there's the whole fact that these sprites are solid, as opposed to how it'd look in-game, too.

14. Ramare

Yeah, it does looks a bit off in the character creator, which is where I took those screenshots so that I could quickly get a shot of both palette types for both genders.

For what it's worth it looks way better in-game, though. However, I may simply be biased because I've been using Detailed Species so I'm used to everyone being shinier in general.
    Slime5.png

15. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

The highlighted area is far too bright compared to the rest of the race; it feels less like a 'shine' and more like a brighter part of their body. I'd play around with the highlighted part, in order to reach something that looks more reasonable.

https://gyazo.com/7fc7b81b75f998ac467199c66b2bc5b1

Somethin' like this?

16. XSlimyZardX

XSlimyZardX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Im curious, what kind of program do you use to make your own races? I tried with using MS Paint and I can't use transparency xD

17. XelSlime

I don't know if it's even possible to have transparency with MS Paint. I always use GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) for that. Also I've been relying on Skittles' template race mod 'cause I wouldn't know all the individual things I need to have, plus I actually know nothing about json or LUA.

18. Ramare

That does look better. The problem is that I have to use the original palette of colors used to create the race's sprite, otherwise they won't colorize when you customize the character in-game. I would like to think that if I were free to use whatever colors I wanted I would have chosen a more subtle color that looks much better. I most likely also would have adjusted the brightness up and down as appropriate while working along the edges to give the sheen more of a texture so that it doesn't feel like it's just a shine stripe. Alas, as far as I know, there are only two "shine" colors to choose from and I chose the darker of the two. It actually could have been worse if I had used the brighter color.

To be fair, though, the "shine stripe" effect is present in all of the Detailed Species sprites and it will never be to everyone's tastes. I think this is the final version of my sprite edit, in any case. Unless I have to update it due to changes to the original sprite or someone requests that I make a version which only fixes the small issues with the original sprites and doesn't actually include any personal taste-biased edits.

19. XelSlime

I should probably honestly redo the palette. The method I used for it in the first place kinda... well... I was adjusting the luminescence alone when getting other shades. I noticed a better method I should've been working with later.

20. Warboss_Spriggs

Warboss_Spriggs Pangalactic Porcupine

So, what are the current update plans? Getting kinda anxious waiting for the next update. But the same could be said for a lot of the mods I've got. :nurusad: