Modding Help Slight problem in making monsters "capturable".

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by enderlordalatreon, Aug 7, 2016.

1. enderlordalatreon

enderlordalatreon Big Damn Hero

I've been modding for a few games for a while now and just starting on starbound. I'm having trouble making a certain monster captureable...the Erchius Ghost:
    erchiusghost.png
    Hopefully that's not spamming. I'm trying to make it a pet for reason that even I don't know and it would keep crashing. Any suggestions? Also might make it a boss in another mod...thing I might make.
    This is what I only did: I took the erchiusghost.monstertype and copied it, put it in my mods for testing and only set the capturable option to true. Then I renamed it to erchiusghost.monstertype.patch
    Only did this because I didn't want to mess it up. But apparently even though I only did one thing it keeps crashing, I moved my mods into another folder and launched the game once without the new mod, then with it. Then it crashed. Anything I did wrong?
    Hopefully this is the right prefix eh?

2. enderlordalatreon

Also, "them typos".
    EDIT: I also made the right folders too:\monsters\ghosts\erchiusghost\the actual file.

3. Zaflis

Zaflis Pangalactic Porcupine

Would you show the full contents of the erchiusghost.monstertype.patch file? Patch file structure is a bit different than original ones.

4. enderlordalatreon

http://pastebin.com/s2cjuaBu
    Here's the contents of what's in there...
    The thing different from the original that I edited was the "capturable" option to true, may need the edit the line below it though...

5. Suphax

Suphax Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Patch files are different to the original JSON files in the sense that they're there to NOT replace the entire file to maximize compatibility which is exactly what you've done.
    For example, a patch file to replace the max health value would look like this:

Code:
    [
      {
        "op": "replace",
        "path": "/baseParameters/statusSettings/stats/maxHealth/baseValue",
        "value": 1000
      }
    ]
    Changing the original files extension won't do anything but cause errors. Look up how to make patch files and interpret JSON.

6. Suphax

Suphax Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You also need to do more than just changing the "capturable" value to true. You need to include capturable script files, add XP and level strings to the Erchius Ghost's Lua and so forth.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  7. enderlordalatreon

AH! That's what I was missing...for the most part, thanks matey! Might try and fix it, oh and it's funny, I'm using your onehanded torch mod and the killable...thing I'm trying to make captureable.