Sleeping problems in large cities.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wilsonionium, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Wilsonionium

Wilsonionium Void-Bound Voyager

Dear forumates,

I do not know why, but I have trouble sleeping while I'm located in large cities.

I visited a very large city a year ago, and I couldn't bring myself to sleep. On one night I was laying in bed for a while, and looked up my phone. It was 3 o'clock in the morning.

This didn't happen to me just in that city. I have visited several towns with a population more than a million, and I couldn't sleep in any of them. When I'm at my small home town, however, I have not trouble with falling asleep. Unless my drunkard neighbours decide to blast irrelevant pop music on full.

Of course, I haven't found any answers on google, which is why I decided to post my question on a forum dedicated to a game that is only enjoyable with mods. If you have any answers, I would be quite thankful if you post them.

Kind regards, Wilson.

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Try drinking a warm milk before sleeping, or reading a boring book. The last one really works for me.

3. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Could be something simple like a general disdain for crowds and large cities, which I by the way share, or deeper issues. Did you perhaps suffer from some traumatic event in a large city in your childhood?

Wilsonionium likes this.
  4. Wilsonionium

I admire your concerrn for people you never met, this is a quality that few people posses. But no, I can't think of any event that I would describe as traumatic.

Surenu likes this.
  5. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

As Mahatma Ghandi said "Be the change you wish to see in this world".

I_am_the_Storm and Wilsonionium like this.
  6. I_am_the_Storm

I_am_the_Storm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well... having a sleeping troubles aren't uncommon, sadly. But there is a few things that might help you to fall asleep.
    Note that I don't guarantee anything, but it's worth to try, if it happen again.
    1. Watching something boring, like a movie, a show, reading a book (as Moor Ar-Malik said), or doing something boring. The boringness itself can help you fall asleep, since you don't enjoying that.
    2. Playing/doing something on your mobile/laptop/tablet in your bed. That usually works for me. Just... for Lord's sake... do not play Heroes of Might and Magic III. This game has an opposite effect...
    3. Listening to your favourite music, while laying down. Something calming and soft might be better, but you can try everything.
    4. Physical activity. Not working for me as I would wish, though my friend claim it is working like a charm. It, of course, depends on the activity; doing the chores isn't that effective as jogging.
    5. Counting sheeps. Yes, it may sounds funny, and yes, it can be considered as a myth, but several people claim that this method works. I didn't try that, though. It may also be related to method number 1.
    6. Visiting a psychologist/psychiatrist. One doesn't necessarilly need to know they have a mental issue, which prevents them to sleep while in certain conditions, locations, or mood. It can be subconscious, deep in your mind. I did had this issue years ago, when I had a fear to go to the school. In weekend, I had no problem with sleeping, but during a school week, I couldn't fell asleep, no matter how hard I tried, where I was, which mood I had, or what I did during the day. Please, note, that this should be considered ONLY if any other methods failed, and if it's a long-term issue.
    I won't reccomend sleeping pills, since they can have some side effects, and they may 'ruin' your usual sleeping schedule.

And again, I don't guarantee anything, since it can work for you but not someone else, and vice versa. These are just my ideas that you might find useful in the future.
    I hope it helps.

Wilsonionium likes this.
  7. ddd68728642376

ddd68728642376 Space Hobo

According to this dystopy we are living in, solution are:

1/ Oudside Drugs.

Saltivias Canabis is perfect for sleep if you are strong in will and do not smoke all on one weekend.
    Sugar placebo that is write 'for sleeping' could work for light trouble and well disposed spirits.
    Verry adictive expensif and brain destroy syntetic pills. You gona become a half-monkey in mind.

2/ Muscle and knot neurons drugs.
    Make hard or violent sport. Mass microtromatism is just like automutilation.
    Make a lot of quite sport. it make eat for 2 so digest for 3 so you are more tired all the time.
    Sex is terribly tromatic make also mass microthroma and produce gamets is verry exepensive.

3/ Braindrogs
    Internal meditation / Resonating plexus-third eye or "backbone fuzzing", could knock you down at-demand.
    External meditaiont / Frecancy focus or exodential geographic modélisation, could turn hours into seconds.
    Manualy or by muscular contraction block your carotid will knock you down by survival instinct.

4 / Social adaptation
    Go to sleep ween the other go to work. Be a vampire and targed the more calm period of the bulding.
    Be a active member of the syndicate or co-gestion or co-property and make pressure about noise.
    Be a active neigbourg and do it diplomatic. Be a asshole and harass whith legal complaint about noise.

5 / Environnement adaptation
    Doble and tripple glasses. Perfect if you are disturbed by cars, not by peapole. It coast a leg.
    Baldaquin. Put a tuff tissue all around your bed, and a tuff carpet under it.
    Doors gap filler like a long small pillow. there is plastic pneumatic also.

6 / Tools
    Anti-noise hemelet, earplugs and. Coton with "sweet amand oil" on it.
    Furtive Helicopter anti-noise technology democratized

A "unusual auditive hypersensibilité", is a inflamation/infection sign. Ask the doc.

++

Wilsonionium likes this.
  8. Daikon Ocelot

How about emptying your mind before sleep? Let go all problems you have in your day and empty your mind. Try to relax, and after that try to lay down and sleep. It is like meditating before sleep. I heard this is a good way to have a good sleep.

Wilsonionium likes this.
  9. Wilsonionium

I appreciate what all of you said, I truly do, but I'm quite sure the problem is not with me, but with the city itself. It may be air pollution or something. I was asking if someone knew the reason, not the solution.

Daikon Ocelot likes this.
  10. ddd68728642376

ddd68728642376 Space Hobo

I know many pist of reflexion, but it will be long, and it will all go to Rome.

At the end, this is quite power-number basic equation. The city are made, designe, rule, by a small number of monkey. 98% of them are golden spoon, randomely incompétent.

They work for them, or more exactly, like us, for the implemented modele or is exact contradiction, or a marginal influence, but, all in the same circle, compagny, community.
    Even when they try to work for the mass becouse slaves dies or riot, they randomely wrong becouse they are living in a isolated sub culture, they do not have idéological / political diversity.

Half the powerfull men of your city live, work, in butifull well insonorized place. They do not feel it noisy. And the other half live in ultra-privileged protected colony.
    You are in the bus, or the the subway, in the trafic jam, they are in helicopter, in privat jet. They do not feel the city oclused, they do not feel a home-work time travel problem.
    You are lock in the city, 11.5 month by year. They a going to marocco, to bahamas, to florida, every weekend. sometimes just "in the close campagin". They are not stuck under the no star sky.

At the verry less, they never do anytihink for our confort, except if we die, or riot.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Wilsonionium likes this.
  11. Daikon Ocelot

Well, maybe it's because the city is a very busy place. Cars, factories, and very little amount of vegetation might be the reason of the polution. Or maybe noises. The city is known to be a place that never sleeps. There will be a lot of noises, no matter what the time is, night or day. Unlike the villages, of course. It's a very quite place at night.

Wilsonionium likes this.
  12. Wilsonionium

You are a wise man. I'm surprised to hear such words from a frenchman, as most people from my country look on western europe as a place of integrity and freedom, both social and political. You describe the issue in great colour, making every day nuisances sound horrible. Have you considered becoming a writer?