Mob Slaugeists

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Dragonith, Jul 11, 2012.

1. [​IMG]
    Slaugeist
    Profundis spiritus ("Abysmal Spirit")
    Who needs seahorses? This large sub-gastropod is a commonly used riding animal by the Gillian race.

Slaugeists are part of the solariformes ("Solar-Users") group. Unlike most of their star brethren, their solar energy is barely used, mainly providing a source of light for their limited vision. As such, they can last for days without sunlight in depths most creatures would dare not attempt to enter. Preferably, Slaugeists skid across the seafloor instead of swimming, as it requires less energy to remain afloat. The Gillian's trek onto land proved successful for these lumbering giants, as their amphibious nature plops them down on their belly on land as it did on the seafloor.

Having such a slow, dimwitted lifestyle resulted in the Slaugeists having low metabolisms. A single meal can last a Slaugeist weeks on end without food. Their primary diet consists of sea algae/grass and Pebejellies, of which their Gillian caretakers provide them with. Other food sources include other soft-bodied invertebrates that the creature catches with its large limbs. This diet and slow star cycle for a solariforme has guaranteed a long life for the Slaugeist species, longest recorded alive being 1000 years.

While no way aggressive, Slaugeists will not hesitate to batter enemies with its large frontal limbs. The power of which is said to be equivalent to being hit by a grizzly bear's paws. Some Gillian owners have trained their mounts to perform a short range ramming attack, although it drains their strength much more quickly. It isn't favored to kill a Slaugeist, as like all other solariformes, their stars explode on death. But if such a case were to find a dead Slaugeist, one would find a plentiful supply of congealed fat reserves and aged meat.

Related Suggestions:
    Gillians
    Pebejellies
    Sandemos
    Frostmaw

Based off a conversation I had in the Starbound IRC yesterday. It's based on a dragon slug, but on a much larger scale. Sprites coming soon!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Comments?

2. werty11109

werty11109 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Like all your other creations awesome and creative!

3. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

ANGLER FISH SLUG THINGY FTW! That thing is awesome. I'd be so happy if the Gillians and this appeared in-game, because they fit Starbound so well!

4. Uncleleroy

Uncleleroy Subatomic Cosmonaut

My favourite yet, keep it up

5. chek497

chek497 Void-Bound Voyager

Sweet the top looks like the slug Tsunade summons in Naruto :D

6. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

And thats what happens when people in the IRC offer ideas to him. Lawl Good work!

7. Firehammer

Firehammer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My only concern is if you manege to tame it how will you be able to move it planet-wise otherwise great idea love all of your creations

8. Kint

Kint Star Wrangler

Another amazing work Dragonith! I really enjoy seeing all of the wonderful creatures you create.:alien:

9. drakomon

drakomon Astral Cartographer

Awesome creation! How big is this beast? Will it have a sprite?

10. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Really nice.

11. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

What I think is weird is that everything he makes seems to fit perfectly in Starbound...

12. Well, seeing as aside from being able to be tamed and trained, there hasn't really been much coverage regarding pet transportation. Slaugeists are able to move onto land, so I'd assume the same factor for other land pets would apply to these guys as well.
    It's fairly big, definitely larger than its real life counterpart. I'll give a more precise measurement when I finish its sprite.

13. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

/jaw drop
    :saywhat:
    My favorite one yet you have done, you do these wonderfully!

14. Nirn

Nirn Existential Complex

DAWWW! I love it, its so adorable! :DD

Xanivic likes this.
  15. pwner53

pwner53 Over 9000!!!

I personally think you should be an idea comer upper person for Chucklefish! WHO'S WITH MEH??????

GunmanRex and Xanivic like this.
  16. Oh910

Oh910 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Darnit Dragonith! Stop coming up with ideas and work on sprites! lol

17. Soultoast

Soultoast Space Spelunker

Awesome! But i can`t stop thinking this looks kinda like a type of sea slug due to the legs, color, and the tail looking alike. (though I forgot the name of the slug) Did you used it for inspiration?

18. [​IMG]
    Ha! You're completely right. I should get to finishing those. xD
    Er...yeah. I mentioned in the description that I based it off a dragon slug.

19. Occasion

Occasion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Epic as always :proper:
    It reminds me of this little and super cute pokemon-like creature here :p

Edit: Oh,wait,this is the slug you were talking about...:V

Attached Files:

blind sniper likes this.
  20. Soultoast

Soultoast Space Spelunker

Yeah thats the slug ,and I think it`s called Pelagic sea slug :).

Occasion likes this.