Other Skyloft Farm - A 'Farmer'/Alex/Shane Fic [**Complete**]

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Skyloft-Farm, Aug 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Skyloft-Farm

Skyloft-Farm Void-Bound Voyager

Alex and I fell back into our old routine on the farm the next morning. Alex worked quietly in the fields as Jak and I worked in the barn. Jak helped me collect the eggs from the chicken and I showed him how to milk the cows which made him burst into a fit of giggles as the milk sprayed into the bucket.

When we finished, Jak found his father fixing a broken fence and jumped onto his back. Alex smiled as he grabbed his son’s arms and spun him around.

“Did you finish helping Mom?” Alex asked, putting him back on the ground and dusting off his hands.

“I milked a cow,” Jak said excitedly.

Alex put his hands on his hips and met my gaze, smirking. “He’s gonna be a hit with the ladies.”

“Alex!”

Alex laughed at my shock. “What?” He waved a hand at me. “He doesn’t even have a clue.”

I narrowed him eyes at him as I took Jak’s hands. “Don’t ever date girls,” I said to Jak.

“So you want him to date guys?” Alex said, following behind me as I walked toward the house.

“Jak’s not allowed to date anyone.” I shot a glance towards Alex over my shoulder. “Especially if he’s anything like you.”

Alex’s grin grew wider, proud. I rolled my eyes. “Let’s get you cleaned up,” I said, picking Jak up. “Then we can go see Nana and Papa, yeah?”

“Cookies?” Jak asked.

I smiled. “I bet there will be.”

I changed Jak out of his dirty clothes before hopping into the shower and changing into something fresh. Alex and I walked Jak down the road and into town. But Alex stopped dead in his tracks. I followed his gaze. Outside, a man stood before Evelyn and George. They were angry. Evelyn was yelling at the man. All three turned to us, noticing our presence. The man looked to Alex, then to me, then down to Jak, and smiled.

“Alex."

"What are you doing here?” Alex hissed.

“I wanted to see you."

"He doesn’t want to see you,” Evelyn growled.

“I had been calling your grandparents,” the man said, narrowing his eyes at them before turning back to Alex. “I called when I heard about the draft. I called after the war ended. I had no idea what happened to you. They wouldn’t tell me. I had to come and see for myself."

"Why would you care what happened to me?"

"Because you’re my son."

"You never cared a day in your life,” Alex spat.

“That’s not true, Alex,” the man said quietly.

“You thought I was dead. You just wanted a way to try to redeem yourself. To make yourself feel better about what you did to me and Mom."

"I just wanted to know what happened to my son.” He looked at Jak and smiled. “Obviously life has been good to you. Is that my grandson?"

"You have no grandson.” Alex’s knuckles whitened at his side. I pulled Jak to my side.

"At least give me a chance to make amends and start over."

"I don’t want you anywhere near my family."

"Alex-"

"You heard him,” George shouted. “Get out of here. You’re not welcome in Stardew."

"Alex, please…"

"Get out!"

His father looked to me, to Jak, then back to Alex. "Fine. You’ll never see me again.” He pushed passed us and headed down the road.

We stood in silence for a moment, Jak tugging on my hand.

“Mama?"

I picked him up; he was getting so big so quickly. I cleared my throat. "I smell cookies."

Jak clapped his hands together and reached for Evelyn. Evelyn smiled and took her great grandson in her arms.

"Made them just for you,” she said. She kissed his cheek and carried him into the house. George grunted and followed his wife inside.

“Are you okay?” I asked, turning to Alex.

He nodded and sighed. “Yup. Forget about it."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"There’s nothing to talk about,” he said angrily.

“I’m sorry…” I started to walk into the house, but he grabbed my hand and smiled.

“No. I’m sorry. Don’t worry about it. He’s gone. He won’t bother us here. I won’t let him.”

“What if he means it, though? What if he really changed?”

“I don’t want him anywhere near you or our son. There’s no exception.”

“Alex, its been years.”

“Why are you on his side?”

“I’m not. But if you have a chance to make things right with him…”

“He lost his chance a long time ago. You know what he put us through. He doesn’t deserve a second chance.”

“I know.” I sighed. “I just hate to see you go through this. I wish things were different, that’s all.”

Alex shook his head. “I don’t. If anything was different, I’d never know you.”

I forced a smile, but my eyes drifted passed him and down the road, but his father was already gone.

“I just can’t believe he had the balls to show up here,” he muttered.

I squeezed his hand and kissed his cheek. “Don’t worry about it. He’s gone.”

Alex was quiet, now looking down the road, his eyebrows knit together.

“Come on,” I said, pulling at his hand. “Your grandmother is going to make our son fat with all those cookies.”

• Skyloft-Farm

After spending a couple of hours that afternoon with Alex’s grandparents, we met Penny by the river where Jak played with Jas and Vincent, taking a break from their afternoon school work. Alex sat on the edge of the bank, showing the older kids how to use a fishing rod. Alex climbed on his father as he cast the rod into the river and handed it to Jas.

Penny and I leaned on the bridge, watching as they struggled with a fish on the line. Alex pulled Jas back, helping her reel it in as Vincent reached out over the water.

“Everything back to normal?” Penny asked.

I nodded. “Like he never left.”

She smiled. “Good. I’m glad Jak has his father back.”

“Me too.”

Penny turned to me. “And you’re okay?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Just making sure.”

Jas cheered from the bank of the river, holding her catch before her. She turned to us excitedly. “Look at my fish, Shane!”

My heart stopped. Penny and turned around. Shane stood behind us, his hands shoved in his pockets. He looked passed me and smiled at Jas.

“Jas tattled on you,” Penny said. “Said you gave her the answers to her homework.”

Shane shrugged and walked passed us.

Alex helped Jas remove the fish from the hook and released it back into the water. He stood, crossing his arms as Shane took Jas’s hands.

“Come on,” he grumbled. “Dinner time.”

Alex turned his attention to Jak, picking him up from the mud. I felt Penny’s gaze on me.

“That was cold,” she muttered.

Alex met my gaze and I smiled to him, but my stomach twisted sickeningly. He met us on the bridge as Vincent had a turn with the fishing pole.

“I’m going to bring Jak home,” Alex said.

I kissed Jak’s cheek, then Alex. “See you in a bit.”

I watched Jak run ahead of Alex before turning and sticking his tongue out. Alex scooped him up and flipped him upside down. Jak laughed loudly as Alex carried him back towards the house.

“I guess I should bring Vincent home,” Penny said.

I met her hard gaze. “What do you want from me?”

She shook her head. “I just want to make sure you’re okay.”

“I have no reason not to be,” I said confidently. “My husband is home. That’s all I ever wanted.”

“Okay,” she said simply and smiled. She left me alone on the bridge, bringing Vincent home. I stood looking over the water until the sun began its descent, then I wandered through town. I passed the saloon and hesitated. I could have gone for a cold drink, but there was beer at home, and I didn’t want to chance running into Shane.

I opted to take the long way home through the woods, hoping to be alone with my thoughts, but Shane was at the lake, beer in hand, and he already heard me. He turned as I approached, caught my gaze, then turned back to the lake. I made my way to his side.

“Why are you avoiding me?”

Shane didn’t look at me. He shrugged. “I’m not.”

“Yes you are. Ever since Alex came back. What’s wrong with you?”

He met my gaze, his face serious. “Alex told me to stay away from you.”

“What? Why?”

Shane held his gaze for a moment before turning away. “'Cuz the kid’s got jealousy issues. Thinks I’m gonna steal you from him.”

“Are you?”

He looked out over the lake before meeting my gaze. “Am I?”

“No,” I said quickly.

He turned away. “Then I guess not.”

I studied him as he obviously avoided my gaze. “Was that your plan the whole time?”

“My plan?”

“To steal me away from Alex.”

He smiled at his beer. “There was never a plan.”

“But you wanted to.”

Shane sighed. “I didn’t want to do anything. I didn’t even want to look out for you or care for you.”

I hesitated. “But you did.”

“Alex asked me to.”

“I think there’s more to it than that.”

He met my gaze. “What do you want me to say? That I fell in love with you? That a sick part of me hoped Alex would never come back?”

My breath caught in my throat. “Is that true?”

“Would it change anything?”

“Yes.”

His eyes seemed to sparkle for a moment.

“It would change everything,” I continued. “I would lose all respect for you.”

He turned away from me but didn’t seem surprised. “I couldn’t help it,” he said softly. “But I never would have acted on it. Even if he… didn’t come back. I never wanted to hurt you or Alex.”

I shook my head. “You have acted on it. You and your stupid drunk night.”

“I didn’t mean that,” he muttered.

I met his gaze. “But you did. Being drunk just gave you the balls to do it.”

He hesitated. “That was just one time…”

“But it was real.” I lowered my voice. “You didn’t want Alex to come back.”

Shane didn’t say anything. He didn’t look at me. I watched the sun disappear over the horizon. “Tell me the truth, Shane.”

He looked at me from the corner of his eyes. “It doesn’t matter. You said so yourself.”

“Right,” I nodded. “It doesn’t matter.” I sighed. “I just want things to go back to normal. Alex didn’t mean it. He doesn’t hate you. I don’t want to be the reason you guys aren’t friends.”

I felt his gaze on me but this time, I didn’t turn.

“The thing is,” he began, “you are the reason. Alex and I can never be friends. I love you too much.” He hesitated. “And Alex is right. I need to stay away. We can’t be friends anymore, either.

He stretched and tossed his empty beer bottle to the ground. I stared at the bottle, then turned my gaze onto him.

“Shane…”

He shoved his hands in his pockets and turned, walking away.

“Shane!” But he didn’t hesitate, didn’t turn around. He walked and disappeared into the night.

I stood and stared into the darkness. My stomach twisted and my chest ached. I wanted him to come back. To take it all back. He couldn’t avoid me. Not here. We’d see each other. Everywhere. He was being stupid. Immature. Irrational.

“Shane!” But it was useless. He had made his decision. I felt my eyes start to well. I just wanted things to go back to normal. I wanted my life back. I wanted Alex and Shane. Why couldn’t I have them both?

• Skyloft-Farm

“No!”

Alex bolted upright in bed, heaving and sweating in the darkness. He jumped when I put my hand on his shoulder.

“Alex.”

I waited for him to catch his breath. He cleared his throat and got out of bed.

“Alex.”

“What?” he shouted.

I watched as he rubbed his face with his palms and sat back on the bed. I wanted to touch him - hold him - but I was afraid. I watched his shoulders move with each heavy breath. Finally, he sighed, and turned to me, pulling me into his chest.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered into my hair.

I pulled away and met his gaze.

“It was just a dream,” he muttered. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to yell.”

I clicked on the light on my night stand and caught my reflection in the mirror across the room. It looked worse than it felt.

“Oh my god.”

I covered my cheek with my hand.

“No.”

“Alex, don’t worry about it.”

“I hit you.”

“No…” I hesitated. It still stung. “No, you didn’t. You didn’t, Alex. You just… moved your arm in your sleep.”

“Oh my god.” He ran his fingers through his hair. I watched his knuckles turn white as he made tight fists with his hands, leaning his forehead against them.

I rest my hand on his arm and he flinched. He shook his head.

“No. Don’t.” He got out of bed again.

“Where are you going?”

“Couch.”

“Alex, stop. Please, come back.” I followed him into the living room. “Please come back to bed with me.”

He leaned against his arm on the wall. “I hit you.”

“Alex.”

“I can’t risk doing that again.”

“Alex, please,” I begged. “It’s not your fault. It was a dream.”

Alex shook his head in the dim light. I approached him slowly and let my head rest against his back. He turned and wrapped me in his arms.

“I’m so sorry.”

“I know,” I said softly. “It’s not your fault.”

He pushed me away and collapsed onto the couch. I stood in the doorway.

“Alex…”

“Please,” he muttered, not looking at me. He curled up on the couch and crossed his arms.

I didn’t argue with him. I hesitated in the doorway for a moment before turning away and climbing back into bed. I switched the light off and stared into the darkness. My cheek started to burn. I closed my eyes and waited for sleep to return, but the rest of the night was restless.

Alex had coffee ready in the morning. He looked like he got less sleep than I did.

“Everything’s done,” he said quietly, not meeting my gaze.

I sipped my coffee across from him. “Done?”

He nodded. “Crops. Animals. Done.”

I looked into my mug. I didn’t remember hearing him get up or leave. Maybe I had found a moment of sleep.

Alex stood up. I met his gaze. He turned his gaze away and headed for the door.

I stood. “Where are you going?”

“Out for a bit.”

I watched the door close behind him. I stared at the door until I heard Jak wake up. I got him dressed and fed him dinner. While he played, I studied my face in the bathroom mirror. There was a large purple spot now, under my eye. I dug through my make up, searching for the cover up, and applied it generously, blending it until I was practically a shade darker. Would it be believable? I spent most of my time outside, afterall. I turned my face to the left, then to the right, inspecting my cover up job. It would have to do.

I brought Jak into town, keeping my head low, hoping to avoid anyone’s gaze. At least Penny would watch him with the kids. All I had to do was drop him off and hurry home. Easy enough.

Penny waited outside the library. Shane and Jas were already there. I hesitated as they turned to me. I forced a smile.

“Go head, Jak,” I said, urging him forward. I knew he was anxious to be with the big kids for the day. He ran toward Shane and hugged his leg. I could feel my heart pull in my chest and I was grateful Alex wasn’t there to see. Shane met my gaze. I could feel him studying me. Could he see the bruise through my makeup?

“Come on, Jak,” Penny said, taking his hand and leading him inside.

I turned away and pulled my hoodie over my face. I started to walk away, but I could hear Shane running after me. He pulled at my wrist, spinning me around. I avoided his gaze and tried to turn away, but his grip was hard.

“What happened to your face?”

I hesitated and met Shane’s gaze. “I thought we weren’t friends anymore.”

“You’re hiding something. Did Alex do this?”

“Shane. Stop.”

His voice grew louder. “Did Alex do this?”

I studied his face. His expression was unlike anything I had ever seen before. My heart raced.

“I’ll kill him.” He turned, but I put my hand on his arm and waited for his breathing to slow. He met my gaze once more, his eyes softer now. His fingers brushed the bruise through my fading cover up. I pulled away.

“Alex didn’t do this,” I said confidently.

“Look me in the eyes and tell me that.”

I looked in his eyes. “Alex did not hurt me.”

He held his gaze for a moment before turning away. “You’re lying.”

“Alex is hurt,” I said, my voice shaking. “He is hurting. You have no idea what he’s been through. It haunts him. Every single night.”

“You’re hurt. You’re hurting.”

“What hurts is that I can’t help him.”

Shane hesitated, his eyes inspecting the bruise.

I pulled away and he let me go, but I did not turn to leave. I stood there, under his watchful eye, waiting for him to argue back, but he remained quiet. After another moment, I shoved my hands in my pockets and walked away.

• Skyloft-Farm

It was late when Alex walked down the road towards the house. Shane waited for him, his arms crossed, leaning against a tree. Alex stopped before him, his eyes narrowed.

“What are you doing here?”

“You hit her.”

“What?”

“Don’t play dumb, Alex. You hit her.”

“I thought I told you to stay away from her” Alex growled.

Shane pushed himself off the tree, getting into Alex’s face. “You. Hit. Her.”

“I know! Damn it, I know!”

Shane hesitated as Alex started to lose his composure.

“Do you really think I did it on purpose? Do you think I’m okay knowing that I hurt her? Without even intending to? Without my own knowledge of doing so? Do you have any idea how that kills me?” Alex pushed forward, pushing Shane back into the tree. “Don’t you for a second think you’re better than I am. Don’t you for a second think I would do anything to hurt her. You have no fucking clue, Shane. Don’t for a second think you can judge me.”

Shane backed away.

“It’s too easy for you to judge me when you don’t have a friggen clue.”

“Then tell me, Alex,” Shane yelled over him. “Give me a reason to believe you can handle this. Prove to me that your family isn’t in danger.”

Alex was silent. He narrowed his eyes at Shane. “My family is not in danger. I am not a danger to them.”

“You’re not?”

Both men stared each other down.

“You have no right to come here and try to tell me I can’t be with my own family.”

“You said it, not me,” Shane said. “You know it’s true. It haunts you - what you could do to them, without even realizing it.”

“You have no idea the things that haunt me,” Alex hissed. “But never has the thought of hurting my family crossed my mind. Not even for a second.”

“You’re lying, Alex. I see it in the bruise on Kate’s face. I see it in the way you look at her. You’re afraid.”

“I’m afraid of a lot of things,” Alex’s voice shook. “Kate is the only thing keeping me sane here. She is the only one keeping me alive.”

“Have you ever thought for a second how she feels? That maybe she’s afraid of you?”

“She’s not.”

Shane said nothing. He held his gaze a moment longer before turning away, but Alex grabbed his shoulder and punched him in the nose.

“I regret a lot of things,” Alex muttered as Shane stumbled backwards.”But my biggest regret is not doing that sooner.”

Shane held his nose and groaned. He pulled his bloodied hand away and spat at the ground. “Fuck you.”

“No, fuck you, Shane. I trusted you with my family.”

“And I took care of them,” Shane spat at him.

Alex shook his head. “I never should have trusted you with her.”

“She’d be dead if it weren’t for me. Do you think anyone else around here could have done what I did? For you?”

“You did it because you love her. You didn’t do any of it for me. I just had to come back and ruin your plans.”

“That’s not true,” Shane hissed nasally.

“Some damn friend you turned out to be.”

“You know what? I’m not doing this. I’m not going to apologize. Yes, I love her. And I did everything for her. I did everything I could to keep her going, even when she wanted to give up. All of it, and all she cared about was you. But I loved her anyway. And I will always love her. But she will never love me. At least you had someone who truly cared for her. Who had her in their best interests. I never betrayed you. I never acted on anything. I kept her alive.”

“So I should be thanking you?” Alex accused. “For loving her?”

“What does it matter what I feel? Are you that insecure? She loves you. I get to sit here and watch her love you. Isn’t that enough for you?”

“Don’t try to turn this around and make me the bad guy.”

“Don’t make me the bad guy. I can’t change how I feel. But I would never come between you and her.”

“And I’m supposed to believe that?”

“Yes.”

Alex was quiet for a moment. He studied Shane’s bloodied face. “Stay away from her,” he growled. “Stay away from us.”

He stepped passed Shane and disappeared down the dark road.

• Skyloft-Farm

I didn’t see Shane at all the next day. Marnie brought Jas to the library where I stood outside with Penny, Jak, and Vincent. Jas waved a paper in the air at Penny.

“I did this all by myself,” she said proudly.

“Oh, really? Shane didn’t let you cheat?”

Jas looked to her feet. “No. Shane hurt his nose. He was all bloody.”

I met Penny’s careful gaze. My heart raced. I could only imagine the worst. That Alex had confronted him. Neither of them seemed like the fighting type, but then again, I felt like I hardly knew my husband after he got back from the war. I felt sick to my stomach.

“I’ll pick Jak up later,” I mumbled.

Penny nodded and brought the kids inside. Marnie walked with me through town.

“Tell me it’s not true,” I muttered to her.

“Which part?”

I met her gaze. “All of it?”

She said nothing.

“What do you know?”

“This isn’t my place,” she said carefully.

“Marnie. I’ve kept your secrets.”

She sighed and met my gaze. “I don’t know anything. I just see things. And I see how Shane feels about you. The only thing I know for sure is that Alex hit him. And I only know that because he made a big stink about how much of a bastard Alex is.” She rolled her eyes. “And god forbid he know how to take care of a little bloody nose. I had to force the frozen peas onto his face.”

My heart sank in my chest. “I’m sorry,” I said. “None of this should have happened.”

Marnie said nothing. She watched me carefully for a moment. “See you around,” she said, leaving me in the square to tend to her animals.

I made my way back home, lost in my thoughts, until I found Alex outside, finishing up his work on the farm.

“You could have broken his nose,” I said to his back. Alex didn’t turn to me.

“I also could have killed him if I wanted to,” he muttered. His words made me suddenly feel cold. I hadn’t stopped to think about how true that statement was. How he was trained to kill at any cost, with or without a weapon. My heart raced in my chest and my hand went to my cheek, still sore under my makeup.

When I didn’t answer, Alex turned to me. His face was pale. His eyes seemed distant as he met my gaze.

“Kate…”

I turned away, suddenly afraid. My stomach knotted. Guns. We had guns. My gun. Surely Alex had one. Alex knew of mine. I panicked. Where was it?

I ran into the house and dug through the close in our bedroom. I found the case and dragged it out onto the bed. It was still locked. I unlocked it and threw it open. The gun lay safe and secure against the velvet. The magazine was off to the side, empty. The bullets were underneath, right where I kept them.

I looked up and met Alex’s betrayed gaze in the doorway.

“Do you really think…”

“I don’t know what to think anymore!”

“Kate…”

My pulse pounded in my ears. I couldn’t focus. I fumbled with the case, locking it once more. My fingers shook. I had to get rid of it. I was trained… but Alex was better trained. My insides twisted sickeningly.

“You don’t trust me.”

I could practically see it all falling apart. Our marriage. Our family. How did Jodi and Kent do it? Did this happen to them, too? I couldn’t let that happen. I loved Alex. I trusted him.

And I knew what he was capable of. And it scared me.

“I would never… I couldn’t…. Kate….” Alex fumbled for his words.

“What? You’d never kill anyone? How many people did you kill out there, Alex? Don’t tell me you’d never kill.”

I watched his face whiten. His forehead creased in pain. I could practically see the battle in his mind on his face, and it killed me to watch.

“Alex… I’m sorry…”

“No. You’re right. I killed people. I was drafted into a war and I killed people. Innocent people.”

“They weren’t innocent…”

“But they were. They were just like me. People with families. Mothers, fathers, brothers, wives, kids… They were fighting in a war they never wanted to be a part of. And I killed them. They will never return home because of me. I made fatherless children. Widows. I took sons, brothers, friends.”

My heart shattered and the pieces cut my insides. I choked on my own breath. My vision blurred.

“Alex…”

“I don’t blame you for not trusting me. I don’t trust me, either.”

“I trust you,” I choked out. “I trust you, Alex. With my life. I know you wouldn’t hurt us.”

Alex hesitated. “I already did.”

I shook my head. “That’s nothing,” I muttered. “It’s nothing. It was a mistake.”

“But it’s not nothing…”

I didn’t say anything. I didn’t know what to say. The silence hung over us for a long time. Finally, I stood and tucked the gun case back into the closet, closing the door. I sucked in a breath and turned around, but Alex was gone.

I didn’t see Alex for the rest of the day. I picked up Jak alone. I didn’t run into Shane or Marnie. I brought Jak home, fed him dinner, and tucked him into bed. I sat on the couch, alone, with a beer in hand and stared at the tv screen in the darkness. When I couldn’t take it anymore, I called Penny to ask her to watch Jak, and I went to find Shane.

He was right where I expected him to be, standing by the lake.

“Can we talk?”

Shane shrugged and continued to stare out over the lake. “About what?” He brought the beer in his hand to his lips.

I looked to my feet. “Maybe about you and my husband getting into a fist fight?”

Shane smiled. “I thought you would have enjoyed it.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Two guys fighting over you.”

My insides boiled. “You think that little of me?”

Shane rolled his eyes at the lake.

“Stop being an ass. What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I’m sorry.”

“You don’t look sorry.”

Shane sighed and looked to the ground. “I am. I’m sorry. But in my defense, he started it.”

“I know.”

“Look.” He hesitated. “It’s too late to go back. I can’t change the way I feel. But I won’t come between you and Alex. I would never do that.”

I nodded, hesitant, unsure if there was even a me and Alex anymore. “I know.”

“I can’t be around you anymore, either.”

I was quiet, but my heart was racing.

“So,” Shane said with a sigh. “I’m leaving.”

My broken heart somehow managed to shatter all over again. I met his gaze. “What?”

“Tomorrow. I’m leaving.”

“Shane… you can’t leave. Where are you going? You have family here.”

Shane finally met my gaze. “I can’t live the rest of my life seeing you, knowing you’ll never be mine.”

My chest ached. “Shane… Don’t do this. I wouldn’t be alive if it weren’t for you. You can’t just up and leave.”

“My mind’s made up.”

“So, I’ll just never hear from you again?”

Shane didn’t answer me. He finished his beer and turned to me, his eyes on mine. His hand rested against my face. I could hear the blood pulsing in my ears. My cheeks were warm where his hands rested. He held his gaze on me, his eyes soft. I wanted to reach to him. To let my fingers run across his face. To kiss him. To make him stay.

“Lie to me,” he whispered. His hands cupped my face. His eyes searched mine. “Just once.”

My throat began to tighten and my heart raced, begging him not to leave. I swallowed and held my gaze, but my breath was caught in my throat and burned in my chest. When I finally did find the words, they were barely audible, just a breath against his lips. “I love you.”

His lips met mine for a soft, delicate moment before he turned away.

“Night, Kate.”

I stood in the darkness, watching as he disappeared into the night.

• Skyloft-Farm

Penny was gone and Alex was sitting at the table with a beer when I got home. He didn’t look up when I came in and kicked off my shoes. I sat across from him and searched his face. He finally met my gaze, his eyes red.

“Where do we go from here?”

I could barely hear him. I searched his eyes. My heart raced. “What do you mean?” Don’t leave me, too.

“Tell me where you want to go.” His voice was quiet. “I just want you to be happy. To be safe.”

“I don’t want to go anywhere.” My voice shook. “I don’t want you to go anywhere.”

“We can’t both be in your life, Kate.”

My lungs burned. I couldn’t breathe. His eyes stared into mine.

“Alex.”

“Where do you want to be?”

I opened my mouth, but I couldn’t bring out the words I wanted to say.

Alex finished his beer and looked at his hands. “Shane would never hurt you.”

“Alex…”

“Shane can give you a better life than I can.”

“Stop!” My voice squeaked as I forced the words from my lungs. I couldn’t hold the tears back any longer. “Stop it, Alex. The life I want is with you. It always was and will always be with you. But I can’t do it alone. You can’t do it alone. I need you and you need me. We need each other. I can only be there for you as much as you let me.”

“I know you’re there for me…”

“But you push me away. You’re afraid. I know you’re afraid. It’s okay to be afraid. But you’re stronger than this. Don’t push me away, Alex. Don’t be afraid.”

Alex’s voice shook. “I don’t know how.”

I reached across the table. “Let me help you. Please. We’re in this together. We need each other. We can better ourselves together.”

“I can’t hurt you or Jak…”

“You won’t.”

“I don’t trust myself.”

“You have to.”

Alex hesitated. He took my hands in his. “You know I will do anything for you.”

“Then fight. Don’t give up on us. Come back to us. Be here, with me.”

“But what if-”

“No, Alex, stop. You can’t think ‘what if.’ You can’t worry.”

“I have to worry, Kate. Look what I’ve done already, and I’ve hardly been back a week.”

“Alex,” I sobbed. “Please. Fight. I love you. I need you. And you need me.”

“I love you too much to let myself hurt you again.”

"You won’t. Trust yourself. You already know you don’t want to. I know you won’t let it happen again.”

Alex looked to his feet. I stood and pulled at his hands until he was standing too. I pressed myself into his chest and he wrapped his arms around me.

“I love you so much, Kate,” he whispered to me.

I kissed his lips, carefully at first, until he pulled me closer and pressed harder. I lifted his shirt and pulled him into the bedroom, where our clothes quickly dropped to the floor and we crawled into bed together.

I was alone in bed when I woke up. I sat up and blinked in the sunlight. I could smell coffee. Nothing beat the aroma of coffee. I followed my nose into the kitchen where Alex was attempting to flip an egg. His face fell when the yolk broke.

I grabbed another egg from the counter beside him, cracked it, and let it drop on to the pan. I kissed his cheek softly.

“For me?” I asked as I grabbed the hot mug of coffee next to me.

“Sure. I can make another for myself.” He smiled and kissed my head.

I watched him as I sipped from the mug. “We’re okay, right?”

He met my gaze. “Of course.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you want to talk about anything?”

He hesitated. “No.”

“Alex. You can’t keep secrets forever. You need to talk to someone.”

He turned back to the pan and reached for the spatula, but I grabbed it from him and flipped the egg perfectly.

“I don’t need to talk to anyone,” he mumbled.

“Why? It will help.”

He turned and met my gaze. “How will reliving that all help?”

I leaned against the counter, the mug in my hands, pressed against my lips. “I don’t know,” I said to the coffee. “Isn’t that what people do?”

“They see psychiatrists. Is that what you want me to do?”

“I don’t know,” I muttered.

“Do you think I need that?”

“Do you?”

Alex turned back to the stove. He turned it off and slid the egg onto a plate. He stared at the plate for a moment longer.

“It doesn’t make you any less of a man to ask for help,” I said softly. “You don’t deserve to suffer. I can’t watch you suffer.” I put my mug on the counter and wrapped my arms around his waist. I let my head rest against his back. He turned and wrapped his arms around me, leaning his forehead against mine.

“I don’t know what to do.”

“We don’t have to talk about it. But I don’t want you to be afraid. I don’t want you to hurt.”

“I know.”

I pushed away and held his hands in mine. I played with his fingers and looked into his eyes.

“I’ll eat the broken egg,” I said playfully. “I like when you break them.”

• Skyloft-Farm

BIG IMPORTANT UPDATE! :)

I hope you guys have enjoyed the story so far! Just wanted to give you all an update. The main story line will be taking a little bit of a break. But don’t worry, it’s not over! In fact, we’re going to go *woooo space sounds* back in time! *woooo magical* back to chapter three, where we will be diving in to Shane’s point of view, because why the hell not?

So, over the next few weeks, the chapters that follow will start from the beginning of the original story line, in Shane’s POV, and will be marked accordingly. I’ll label them “Chapter # - Shane (#)” The number in the parentheses will represent the corresponding original chapters. So some of the scenes may be familiar because they’ve already happened. But now we’ll be more in Shane’s head and see what goes on when he’s not with Kate. Just for funsies. And because when the story comes back to the ‘present’ story line, there’s going to be more of a switch to Shane’s POV, so I thought this might be a nice way to bring that transition into the story.

The main story line will resume after these Shane chapters, picking back up with chapter 33 and continuing from there. I’ll let you know again when that will happen so you will all be aware.

There are roughly 30 Shane chapters, so definitely a good chunk before the main story line picks up again.

All righty-oh. That’s it. Enjoy! Hope you like the Shane chapters! See ya’ll on the other side!

ApertureGaming011 and CjBeats like this.
                • Skyloft-Farm

(Also I'll wait a bit before posting more chapters in case anyone wants to catch up.. Just let me know when you're ready!)

• Skyloft-Farm

“This sucks,” Alex muttered.

Shane nodded, his arms crossed. “If Kent had it his way, we’d all be enlisting in the army right now.”

Alex snorted. “They’d probably turn you all away. Too pathetic for the army.”

“I’d have a better chance than you.”

“I think I could hold my own.”

Shane smirked. “I’d like to see that.”

Alex crossed his arms, too. He leaned against the wall. “None of this should be happening.”

“Mhm.” He could really go for a beer right now.

They watched the screen as the announcer began to pull the numbers.

“Fifty-nine.”

The third day of fall. There was a quiet sigh of relief. One down. Three to go.

“Twenty-one.”

The twenty-first day of spring. Another safe spot for the people of Stardew.

“One hundred eleven.”

The twenty-seventh day of winter. One number left.

“Forty-one.”

The thirteenth day of summer.

Alex’s birthday.

Shane met Alex’s hard gaze.

“That’s me,” Alex muttered.

Shane turned away and watched Kate on the couch. Penny knelt before her, taking her hands as she processed what just happened. Kent approached Alex, too eagerly.

“Hope you’re braver than you look, football boy,” he said.

Alex narrowed his eyes at Kent.

“Alex can take care of himself,” Shane muttered. He just wanted Kent to stay away from them. He wasn’t the same since he got back. He had seemed to lose all compassion.

“I hope so,” Kent said. “”Cuz I can’t be dragging his ass around out there.”

“You’re going back?” Shane questioned.

The room fell silent.

“Alex won’t be alone out there,” Kent said, breaking the eerie silence. “I’m going with him.”

“What are you talking about?” Jodi’s voice boomed through the room. “You just got back.”

“I’ve been home for over a year,” he said to her. “They need my help. Our help. It is our duty to serve our home.”

“Have you forgotten what it’s like out there? Have you forgotten about your nightmares?”

“I can’t be here any more, Jodi.”

“I’m going, too.” Sam stood beside his mother.

“No!” Jodi shrieked. “You can’t take my son!”

Kent was quiet. “You don’t need to come,” he said softly.

“I want to come, Dad. I want to help.”

“You will stay here with your mother.”

“You can’t make me stay,” Sam insisted.

“You weren’t chosen in the draft.”

“And neither were you.”

“I’m already a part of this. Do not argue with me. You don’t know what it’s like. I’m prepared to handle it.”

“Don’t go, Sam,” Vincent cried.

Shane watched as Kate stood and hurried for the door. His heart sank for her, losing Alex to a war no one wanted to be a part of. He turned to Alex, but he was already chasing her outside.

“Are you leaving, Shane?” Jas looked up at him, worry on her little face.

Shane smiled and bent down to her level. “Nah. I’m not going anywhere.”

“What about Aunt Marnie?”

He shook his head. “Nope. Don’t you worry about a thing.”

“Let’s go, people,” Lewis said to them, shooing them like animals.

Shane took Jas’s hand. “Come on, let’s go home.”

“Is Vincent’s dad leaving again?”

“Uh, yeah, I guess so.”

Jas let go of his hand and kicked a stone. She chased after it and kicked again.

“Vincent’s gonna be sad again.”

“I guess you’ll have be a good friend for him.”

“Vincent is my best friend.”

“Oh yeah? He doesn’t have cooties?” Shane picked up Jas and gave her a raspberry. She giggled and kicked in his arms.

“Ew, Shane, stop it. You have cooties.”

Shane put her down and watched her run towards the chicken coop.

“All boys have cooties,” Shane called after her. “Remember that.” He hesitated. “Girls, too. Stay away from everyone.”

“Shane!” Jas whined from inside the yard. “You’re being silly. I’m gonna get married just like Jodi and Kent.”

Shane leaned on the fence. “Why would you want to do that?”

“Because I want to.”

“Aunt Marnie isn’t married,” Shane pointed out.

Jas giggled and skipped to the fence. She beckoned Shane closer with her finger and whispered in his ear. “Aunt Marnie has a secret boyfriend.”

Shane straightened, his brows knit together and his nose scrunched. “What?”

She giggled and skipped away.

“Who?” Shane pressed.

“It’s a secret, Shane. I can’t say.” She zipped her lips closed.

Shane crossed his arms. Surely she was just being imaginative.

Jas met his gaze and smiled. “It’s okay to have secrets,” she assured him. “Everyone does.”

Alex was sitting at the bar when Shane wandered in, anxious for a drink. He slid in next to Alex and Gus slid him his usual.

“Didn’t think you were a drinker,” Shane said to his glass.

Alex took a swig of his own beer. “Figured now’s a good time to start.”

“You should be home, man.”

“I can’t be home right now.”

“Next week, you’ll be sitting on that bus wishing you never stepped away for a moment.”

“What would you know?”

Shane sighed. “I guess I wouldn’t. I just think you’re being selfish.”

“I’m just having a god damn drink.”

“I never liked selfish Alex. All he did was throw that damn football around.”

“Well, I never liked you.”

Shane raised his glass. “To unlikely friendships, hm?”

Alex rolled his eyes but let his glass tap against Shane’s.

“It’s only because I like Kate.”

Alex smiled. “Yeah. She’s okay.”

“What are you going to do?”

Alex was quiet. “I don’t know.” After a moment, he turned to Shane. “Just stay away from her.”

Shane threw his arms in the air in defense. “Hey, I don’t mess with no married women. Plus she’s got that kid. Not my thing.”

Alex tapped at the counter, signaling for another drink.

“She’ll be okay,” Shane said softly.

Alex nodded. “Yeah. Sure.”

“You, on the other hand…”

“Yeah.” Alex looked into his beer and sighed.

Kent came in and sat himself next to Shane, peering over toward Alex.

“Bus leaves next week, kid,” he said to Alex.

“Fantastic.”

“I’d say I got your back but…” He signaled to Gus for a drink. “I probably won’t be seeing you. You know, you’ll be with the privates and all.”

“Piss off, Kent,” Shane hissed at him.

Kent grabbed his beer, narrowing his eyes at Shane and Alex before throwing some coins onto the counter and pushing himself away from the bar.

“See you on the bus, kid.”

“What an ass,” Shane muttered.

“It’s not his fault,” Alex said with a shrug.

“You’re gonna be even more of an ass when you get back.”

“Well, at least we won’t have to be friends, then.” Alex emptied his glass and stood.

“Next one’s on me,” Shane said, raising his glass as Alex left the saloon.

Shane found himself looking around the saloon, studying the faces, wondering who Marnie’s secret boyfriend could be. Gus? Clint? Willy? Lewis? He made a face to his beer. Maybe he didn’t want to know.

I skipped 5 & 6 from the original because they actually were never finished and were literally the exact same as the original chapters, so they really didn't offer any fun Shane POV. So you're not missing anything, I promise!

“Coffee?” Marnie asked as Shane trudged out of his bedroom.

He grunted in response, sitting at the table and rubbing his face. He had stayed later at the saloon than he planned on, and he was paying the consequence. He yawned loudly as Marnie put a mug in front of him. She sat across him, sipping from her cup, watching him.

“How you doing?” she asked, looking into her mug.

“Tired.”

“That must be it,” she said with a hint of careful sarcasm in her voice.

“It must?”

“Nothing to do with being hung over.” She smirked to him.

Shane grunted and sipped from his coffee. “Nope. Just tired.”

“Get home earlier next time.”

“Okay, Mom.”

“Jas looks for you.”

Shane sighed. “I was just at the bar with Alex.”

“He’s leaving soon.”

“Yup.”

“Are you okay?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Because Alex is leaving.”

Shane shrugged. “People come and go.”

“I thought you guys were friends.”

“He’s kind of an ass.”

Marnie sighed. “You are, too, sometimes.”

“Guess that’s why we’re friends. We get each other.”

“You’re gonna miss him.”

Shane rolled his eyes. “Stop.”

“What?”

“This thing that you do.”

“What thing?”

“I’m not your little girl friend. I’m not gonna eat ice cream and watch chick-flicks with you.”

Marnie cocked her head to the side. “Is that what you think we do?”

“Talk about your feelings. Gossip. Look at naked guys in magazines. Pillow fights.”

“I’m sorry, Shane,” Marnie began, standing. “I know you’re going through a hard time with this. I just thought you might want to share your feelings and then we could do some online shopping and try on some shoes.”

“You’re mocking me.”

She smiled and put her mug in the sink. “Whatever you say, tough guy.”

Shane was at the saloon early that night, anxious to get away from Marnie. Every so often, she tried to pry some kind of information from him. Why was he out drunk this time? Why did he lock himself in his room all day? He couldn’t stand it. Sometimes, she was just an overbearing mother figure to him. But, when she wasn’t suffocating him, which wasn’t all that often, she was always understanding and let him be. Today just wasn’t one of those days, and it exhausted him.

Alex slid into his seat at the bar beside Shane.

“Big day tomorrow,” Shane muttered.

Alex didn’t turn to him. “Mhm.”

Gus passed him a beer.

“Are you ready?”

Alex looked to him at the corner of his eyes. “How could I be ready for this? For war? To leave my family?”

Shane was quiet. They drank in silence for a moment.

“They’ll be okay. They’ll be here when you get back.”

“If I come back.”

Shane sighed. “Just don’t do anything stupid.”

“Yeah.”

Shane finished off his beer. “Don’t worry about Kate and Jak. They’ve got family here.”

Alex nodded absentmindedly as he stared into his drink. “Make sure she’s okay.”

“Me?” Shane hesitated. “She’s going to be fine.”

“I know.”

“She can take care of herself.”

“I know.” Alex’s voice was harder now. “Just… keep an eye out for her. I guess.” He turned to Shane. “Okay?”

Shane held his gaze for a moment. “Yeah. Okay.”

“Please. If she needs anything…”

“Yeah, man. I told you she has family here.”

“Yeah, I know. But I can’t exactly count on anyone else here to even lift a rock if she needed it.”

Shane shrugged. “I never would have thought you’d ever lift a rock in your life.”

Alex smiled. “I guess that’s true.” He finished his beer, stood and stretched.

“Don’t worry,” Shane said, finishing his. “I’ll lift those rocks if she needs it.”

“I know.”

He stood and shoved his hands in his pockets. “But only until you get back. I don’t do farming. I do enough shoveling chicken shit as it is.”

“Guess I have to come back then, because Yoma forbid you get a little dirty.”

Shane shrugged. He followed Alex out of the saloon. The sun was just setting behind the mountains, casting the little town in a dim, golden light.

“Guess I’ll be back to drinking alone,” Shane said as they walked.

“I’m sure Kate will be around. I know she can hold her own.”

Shane laughed. “She could probably out drink me.”

“I don’t think anyone could out drink you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Shane narrowed his eyes at Alex.

Alex shrugged. “It means you’re a big drunk.”

“Uh uh. That’s Pam.”

“Oh. So you’re the alcoholic?”

“Also Pam.”

Alex scoffed.

“You have a problem with me?”

Alex shook his head. “Nah, man. It’s not like you’re an obnoxious drunk like Pam.”

“I’m not a drunk,” Shane muttered.

Alex sighed. “Forget it.”

“You’re just mad that you can’t keep up.”

Alex rolled his eyes. “I really don’t know why I hang out with you.”

“Me neither.”

“Well, I’ll be gone tomorrow, so you can go back to being a loner.”

“This may be the alcohol talking,” Shane started, “but I will miss One Beer Becky.”

“I’m One Beer Becky?”

“Yes. Clever, right? I’m a clever drunk.”

“Becky?”

“’Cuz you drink like a girl.”

“I have got to pick better friends,” Alex muttered.

Shane slapped his shoulder. “Just don’t die.”

“Well, I’ll do my best.”

“Cool. See ya tomorrow.”

• Skyloft-Farm

Shane watched from the road as Kent and Alex boarded the bus after saying their goodbyes. Jodi held her composure, holding Vincent in her arms with Sam at her side. She had been through this before. Kate had not. But she held strong, too, rocking Jak gently in her arms as they waved goodbye and the bus disappeared.

Slowly, the crowd dispersed, but Shane remained, still watching Kate, hesitant. He didn’t know how to help her. How to comfort her. Or even how strong she really could be.

“Guess it’s just you and me,” she said to the baby in her arms. She turned, her gaze meeting his.

“You’re not alone,” Shane said.

Kate sighed. “I know. But the farm’s getting too big for me to do on my own now. It was different a year, two years ago.”

“What can I help with?”

She shook her head. “I don’t need help. I’m fine.”

“You said yourself it’s getting to be too much.”

“No one here can exactly help me with it. They’ve got their own things to tend to.”

“I’m not completely useless when it comes to the animals,” he pointed out.

“You’ve got enough on your plate.”

“C’mon, how hard can it be? You’ve got a good set up over there. Auto feeders. Heaters in the winter. Can’t be too hard. Milk some cows? Collect some eggs?”

“Muck the barn, fill the silo, brush and sheer, troughs need to be cleaned daily. Fences need to be repaired. Hay needs to be cut. And that’s not including the crops, the green house, the house, the kid…”

“Sounds like you need the help, then.”

“You don’t have to do that.”

Shane shrugged. “Kinda. I promised Alex.”

She rolled her eyes. “I don’t get you two.”

“Hm?”

“I don’t get how you became friends. You guys used to hate each other.”

“I never hated him.”

“You hate everyone.”

Shane pushed himself off the tree. “That’s only partially true.” He smiled.

Shane followed Kate as she walked past him and towards the farm.

“You guys are total opposites.”

“Eh. He became a little more tolerable after you came along.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Plus, we were the only two that didn’t hang out with anyone else. Guess we were the odd ones out. So we kind of had to be friends if we wanted any friends at all.”

Kate laughed. “Didn’t think you cared to have friends.”

“Well, to be honest, I don’t. But turns out he’s a fun drunk. And you’re all right, too.”

“So the plan was to turn him into a drinking friend?”

“A happy accident.”

“Ah.”

“But now I have no drinking buddy.”

Kate was quiet. He was just upsetting her. He pushed forward quickly.

“I’m taking applications for a new one if you’re interested.”

Kate smiled. “I have some good references. You won’t be disappointed.”

Shane nodded. “Well, you know where to find me. See you tomorrow morning?”

“You really don’t have to.”

“Oh, shut up all ready. I’ll be here as soon as I can.”

Shane watched Kate let herself into the house. He shoved his hands in his pockets and made his way back home, cutting through the farm for a short cut. He looked over the crops as he walked. How hard could it be? It would give him something to do, anyway. Helping Marnie didn’t take much of his time in the mornings, leaving him with nothing to do for the rest of the day. At least this would keep him busy. And he wanted to help Kate. He couldn’t imagine her doing all the work, with a kid in her arms, by herself.

He stopped at the lake, standing alone on the dock. It should have been him that was drafted. What did he have here in Stardew, anyway? Alex had a family. Shane had nothing. It should have been him, not Alex. At least then he wouldn’t be stuck in this town with nothing to live for. At least then he’d have purpose.

Or, at the very least, a way out of this misery.

Jas jumped onto Shane’s bed and he groaned. He grabbed the pillow and pressed it over his head.

“C'mon, Shane, get up!”

Shane peeked out of the pillow. “Why?”

“Because Aunt Marnie said I could help you feed the chickens.”

He groaned again and looked at the clock. Shit. He was supposed to help Kate, too. His head pounded. He shouldn’t have had that extra beer last night. He threw the covers off of him and sat up, rubbing his face.

“Come on, Shane, you’re so lazy!”

“You’re too energetic. Do you know how early it is?”

Jas giggled. “It’s nine o'clock! I’ve been up all day!”

“Nine?” Shane groaned. “That’s so early.”

“Get dressed, Shane!” Jas ordered him.

“Yes, ma’am.”

She giggled as she left him alone in his room. Shane sighed, dressing quickly and meeting Jas outside in the coop. She had already begun collecting the eggs.

“Did you fill their grain?”

“The bag’s too heavy, Shane.”

“I thought you were super strong?”

“Not as strong as you.”

“Nah, I’m not that strong.”

“You have to be, you're a boy!”

“Girl’s can be strong, too.”

“Shane,” Jas whined.

“You just don’t want to do it.”

“Not true!”

Shane smiled as he ripped open the bag and poured it into the feeder.

“You got the rest?” he said, dusting his hands off on his pants. “I have to go help Kate, too.”

“Can I come?” Jas asked excitedly. “I want to help!”

“Maybe tomorrow. You have to get to your class.”

“Miss Penny let’s us help.”

“Well, then, maybe Miss Penny will bring you.”

He left Jas alone in the coop as she entertained herself with the chickens. It was almost ten when Shane showed up at the farm. Kate was headed to the barn when Shane caught up to her. He hopped over the fence.

“Figured you had backed out,” Kate said.

“Sorry,” he grumbled. “I’ll get up earlier tomorrow.”

“Forget it,” she said. “See? I’ve got this. Just need to take care of the animals in the barn and the fences.”

“That will take you all day.”

“Well, that’s the life I signed up for.”

“What about Jak?”

“Penny’s at the house.”

“So, she’s going to take care of him all day? You’ll hardly see him.”

“Well, I have to make sacrifices to provide for my son.”

Shane rolled his eyes and grabbed the pails. Kate followed him into the barn where he proceeded to milk the cows. Without a word, Kate sat on the stool and started to milk the goats.

“So, what’s the plan after this?” Shane asked.

“The barn needs to be mucked. The sheep sheered. Fences need to be fixed.”

“Hay needs to be cut,” Shane continued.

“Moose’s stall needs to be cleaned.”

“Troughs need to be filled.”

Kate paused and stretched her back. “Sounds about right.”

“I’ll take care of the fences,” Shane said. “I brought my tools.”

“I have plenty of tools here.”

“But they’re not my tools.”

Kate rolled my eyes. “I’ll take care of the rest of the barn.”

“Then on to hay?”

“Yeah. I guess so.”

“Can it wait until tomorrow?”

“If there’s time, why wait?”

“Because you’re doing way too much.”

She sighed. “It keeps my mind busy.”

“I get that.”

They continued to work without conversation, neither bothered by the silence. When Shane finished, he left the pails by the door, tipped an imaginary hat in in Kate’s direction, and headed outside with tools in hand. He got to work right away on the broken fences, taking apart the old, rotted wood, and banging in the new pieces into place. He balanced the nails between his lips carefully as he hammered the wood together. The sun climbed higher in the sky, warming the Earth quickly. Before long, Shane had pulled his shirt off and wiped his face against it. His hands were dirty and rough from the wood. Little slivers pinched at his palms.

He was just finishing with the last fence when Penny arrived. Kate had somehow managed to sneak passed him as he worked. Jas and Vincent were with Penny. Shane gathered his tools and made his way toward them.

“Will you put your damn shirt on?” Kate growled.

Shane smiled and shimmied into his dirtied shirt.

“Are you done with the fences?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Are you done for the day?” Penny asked.

Kate turned to Shane. “Whatever Shane feels up to, I guess.”

Shane shrugged. “Not up to me.”

“All that’s left is the hay.”

“That will take well into the night,” Shane said to her. “It can wait until tomorrow. There will be more time.”

“I can do it myself. You can go home.”

Shane rolled his eyes. “I’m not going home until you call it quits for the day.” He took Jak from Penny and pushed him into Kate’s arms.

“Spend some time with your freaking kid for once.”

“Yeah,” she muttered. “Okay.”

“See you in the a.m. then,” Shane said. He tipped his invisible hat once more to Kate, then to Penny, before turning to Jas.

“Let’s go, kid,” he said to her.

“Piggyback!” Jas shouted, chasing him across the farm. Shane ran ahead playfully before squatting on the ground. Jas jumped onto his back and they turned back to wave.

“C'mon, Jas, get up!” Shane pulled the covers off of her.

Jas groaned. “Shane, stop it!”

“You’re coming with me to the farm, remember?”

“I’m sick.”

“You must be,” he said, feeling her forehead. “You’re always up before me.”

Jas nodded sheepishly and buried her face into her pillow.

Shane stood. “All right, I’ll just have to tell Miss Penny. You’ll probably have extra homework to do, too.”

“Ugh.” Jas hopped out of bed. “I guess I’m okay enough to go.”

Shane smiled. “That’s what I thought.”

Shane waited patiently as Jas got dressed. Marnie came in from the chicken coop.

“Someone’s in a good mood,” she said casually. “Off to Kate’s?”

Shane crossed his arms. “Maybe.”

“If only I could get you to help out here like you do over there.”

“Uh uh,” Shane said. “I help you every day. Don’t pull that on me.”

“Maybe,” she started. “But now you hurry through everything to get to Kate’s.”

“I’ve got a lot on my plate now. No time to screw around.”

“She’ll make a farmer out of you yet.”

“I wouldn’t go that far.”

“C’mon, Shane!” Jas hurried out of her room. “We can’t be late!”

“Real sick,” he muttered.

“I heard that,” she shot over her shoulder as she headed for the door.

Jas lead him excitedly across Kate’s farm until she was at the door, knocking quickly. She opened the door and hurried inside. Shane trotted after her, catching the door before it slammed shut. Inside, Penny was with Kate.

“We gonna do this thing or what?” he said to Kate.

Jas skipped up to Penny. She stood on her tip toes and peered at Jak, cooing to him and making silly faces.

“Where’s Vincent?” Penny asked Jas.

Jas shrugged. “Late like always.”

“Aren’t you the one who’s usually late?”

Jas crossed her arms. “Shane doesn’t let me be late any more.”

Kate met Shane’s gaze and smiled. “Cow’s aren’t gonna milk themselves,” he said.

Kate kissed Jak and followed Shane outside.

“You’re in a weirdly good mood,” she commented as she followed Shane to the barn.

“I brought you something,” he said. He tossed a box of frozen pizza at her.

Kate raised an eyebrow. “Frozen pizza?”

He leaned in and whispered. “I’ve got a stash I stole before JoJa Mart closed.”

“You are a wonderful role model to Jas,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“C’mon, everyone likes pizza.”

“Pizza and beer after a hard day on the farm. Doesn’t sound too bad.”

Shane’s eyes lit up. “Wow. Yes. You’re perfect.”

Kate hesitated. “I should… put this in the freezer.”

Shane cleared his throat and shrugged. “Yeah. Whatever.”

“Pizza and beer later.”

“Whatever.”

“Don’t try to cover up that ridiculous excitement. You’re not the grump you pretend to be. And now I know you’re secret.”

He shrugged again. “Don’t be lying to me woman. I want pizza and beer later.”

• Skyloft-Farm

Jas and Shane sat at the table as Kate took the pizza out of the oven. She brought them each a slice and handed Shane his much awaited beer.

“Aunt Marnie never lets me have pizza,” Jas said as she eagerly accepted the pizza.

“That’s probably because she’s sick of seeing so much of it in the house,” Kate said, narrowing her eyes at Shane.

Shane shrugged and smiled as he cracked open the beer.

Jas peered at Shane’s bottle. “What’s that? Can I have that?”

Shane shot a disapproving glance at Jas. “No. This is for adults.”

She scrunched her nose. “It looks like pee.”

“Tastes like it, too,” Kate said, sitting across from Shane.

“Why would you drink that?”

Shane shoved his slice of pizza in his mouth. “’Cuz I like it.”

“Eww.”

Jak began to cry quietly in the other room. Jas jumped from her seat.

“Can I go check on him?” she asked.

Jas trotted into Jak’s room and cooed to him.

Shane stared at his beer disapprovingly as he chewed. “I don’t usually drink in front of her,” he mumbled between bites.

Kate shrugged. “She’ll forget about it tomorrow.”

Shane didn’t say anything. He wasn’t so sure. Jas was too smart for her own good sometimes. She would find some way, innocently enough, to make him feel bad about it. He leaned back in his chair and looked towards Jak’s bedroom, waiting for Jas to return. After a moment, he turned back to Kate and raised an eyebrow. “Where’s your beer? Thought you were looking forward to pizza and beer.”

Kate shrugged. “Do you like seafood?” She opened her mouth, revealing chewed pizza.

Shane’s eyes widened for a moment before he burst into laughter. He took a sip of his beer. “You are so weird.”

“Yup. I am well aware of that.”

Shane narrowed his eyes at Kate.

“What?”

He shook his head. “Just never expected you to be weird.”

“I prefer unique.”

Shane laughed again. “Not a side I’m used to seeing,” he said with a shrug.

“I work hard to give the impression that I’m a normal, put together, functioning adult. Otherwise, no one would take me seriously. Especially with this big farm.”

Shane nodded as he looked at his beer. “Well, I like weird Kate, too.”

“Thanks.”

Marnie and Lewis stood outside the house when Shane and Jas got back. He hesitated, but Jas trotted up to Lewis happily. “Hi, Mayor Lewis!”

“Well, hey there, Jas,” he said to her, then turned to Shane. “Shane,” he said in greeting.

“Checking up on things?” Shane said, crossing his arms.

Lewis exchanged a glance with Marnie. “Yes.”

“Ah. Well, isn’t that nice?”

“Jas, go inside,” Marnie said quietly. “Get to bed.”

Jas obeyed, hurrying inside.

“Shane, I’m just making sure Marnie has everything she needs.”

“Yeah. Of course.”

“Shane,” Marnie warned.

“Just keep it elsewhere. I don’t want Jas to see this.”

Lewis turned to Marnie. “I should go.” He glared at Shane before leaving them alone.

“This isn’t your business,” Marnie snarled at Shane.

“You’re right, it’s not. So keep it out of my face.” He pushed passed her and into the house. Jas waited in the kitchen.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed?” Shane said to her.

“Yes.” Jas hesitated. “Don’t be mad at Aunt Marnie.”

“Go to bed,” Shane said sternly.

She frowned, looking to her feet, before she left the kitchen. “Night, Shane.”

Shane sighed. “Night, Jas.” He listened for the door to close before he went into his own room, locking the door behind him.

Shane and Kate finished the chores early the next morning. Shane dusted his hands off on his pants. “What’s up for the rest of the day?”

“I’m taking Jak to visit his great grandparents,” Kate said.

“Ah.” Shane was quiet.

“What are you going to do?”

He shrugged. “Uh. Make a pizza, I guess.”

“That’s it?”

“I’ve been kind of… trying to avoid Marnie.”

“Why?”

He hesitated and wrinkled his nose. “I saw her with Lewis.”

Kate pinched her lips together but said nothing. She knew something.

“Did you know about them?”

She nodded.

“And you didn’t think to tell me?”

“Well, it’s really none of your business,” she said. “Plus, they asked me not to say anything.”

“Ugh.” He felt disgusted at the thought of them together.

“C’mon, what do you care? It’s cute.”

Shane shook his head and turned away. “See ya tomorrow,” he mumbled.

“Guess you’ll be working extra hard on Kate’s farm now?” Marnie asked as Shane came in from the chicken coop.

“Why?”

“She didn’t tell you?”

Shane raised an eyebrow.

“She’s pregnant.”

“Pregnant?” She couldn’t be pregnant. He slunk into the chair.

“Mhm.”

“She can’t be pregnant,” he muttered. “Christ.”

Marnie sat across from him. “Well. She is. All you can do is be there for her. She’s going to need your help now more than ever.”

Shane stared at his hands and nodded. How quickly he had seemed to forget about Alex, and suddenly he was back in his mind, in the form of his unborn child. He had just started to enjoy his routine with Kate, and now there was another child involved. He didn’t know how he could help her through this, alone. There had to be something more he could do. He sighed and pushed himself away from the table, leaving Marnie alone as he made his way to Kate’s.

Kate was already pulling the weeds when he got there.

“You’re pregnant?”

He stood over her, but she ignored him. He pulled at her arm, pulling her to her feet and looked at her hard.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“It’s none of your business,” she hissed.

Shane’s eyes narrowed. “Did you really think you could keep that a secret around here? Sooner or later you’ll start to show. No way farm work is making you fat.”

“This isn’t your business.”

“It is damn my business. You can’t be working like this if you’re pregnant.”

Kate pulled her arm away. “This is my farm and my responsibility.”

“You have a responsibility to your unborn child.”

She turned away. “I’m only a few weeks along. I can keep working.”

“Why wouldn’t you tell me?” His voice was softer now.

Kate met his gaze. “Because I don’t want to be treated like I’m helpless.”

“No one’s treating you like your helpless. We’re looking out for you. You cannot put your body through this kind of stress. It’s not good for you or the baby.”

“And who named you Dr. Shane?”

Shane’s brows knit together. “I’m being serious, Kate. I made a promise to Alex, and I’m pretty sure that includes his unborn child.”

“You’re not responsible for me.”

“Well, someone has to be, because you won’t be responsible for yourself.”

“I don’t need this right now,” She grumbled.

“Well, get the hell over it. For now on, what I say goes.”

She crossed her arms. “It doesn’t work like that, Shane. You don’t run this place.”

“I do now.”

“This isn’t your farm.”

Shane sat on the fence. “Mine.” He spread his arms. “All this is mine for the next nine months.”

Kate’s face twisted into laughter.

“You think this is funny?”

“This is hilarious, actually. My husband is off in a losing war, I’m pregnant with his second kid, alone on this big huge farm, and you want to take on all the shit shoveling duties around here.”

“I’d say it’s more ironic than funny. Actually, a pretty shitty situation. No pun intended.”

Kate was quiet, looking at her stomach. “I don’t want to sit around with nothing to do,” she said. “This farm is all I have right now.” She hesitated. “I can’t even bring myself to look at my own son sometimes. He looks too much like Alex.” When Shane didn’t say anything, she continued. “It’s just hard. You know?”

Shane looked at his feet. “Yeah. No. Kinda. I can only imagine how you feel right now.”

“I’m scared. I’m scared shitless.”

“I don’t blame you.” He pushed himself off the fence and smiled. “At least let me help you. You know, with the heavy lifting. I’ll leave the baby stuff up to Dr. Harvey. But as soon as he says to stop, you stop. Promise?”

Kate nodded. “I promise.”

Shane tinkered with the sprinklers around the corn stalks. It twitched and sputtered as he attempted to fix it so it would continue it’s rotation. He grumbled under his breath as it finally caught and sprayed in his face. He stood, dried his face with his sleeve, and watched the sprinkler continue its rotation, watering the corn stalks around it. Satisfied, he looked up, but Kate was gone. His heart raced as he sensed something was amiss.

He hurried to the house, listening as she fumbled behind the bathroom door. Pill bottles clattered onto the floor. He leaned against the door, hesitant.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes,” she called through the door. She opened the door and smiled at him. “I’m fine. I promise.”

“All right,” he said hesitantly. “But please tell me if you’re getting tired.”

“Nope, I’m good.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to see Dr. Harvey?”

“It’s just a little back pain from the milking earlier. I’m fine. Really.”

“Did he say anything? Can you keep working?”

“Yes,” she muttered, pushing past him. “I promise I will stop when he tells me to.”

Shane wasn’t convinced, but he didn’t press any further, afraid to upset her. He followed her back outside where they finished the rest of the chores for the day.

“You need to see Harvey,” Shane said as he walked Kate back to the house.

“I said I’m fine, Shane. You don’t need to worry.”

“Well, I do. Please just go. What does it hurt?”

She sighed. “Fine.”

“C’mon.” Shane took her wrist, leading her away from the house and into town. He pushed her into the office where they were greeted by Maru.

“Starting to show,” she said happily, indicating to Kate’s belly.

“She has back pain,” Shane said, pushing Kate further into the office.

“It’s nothing,” she mumbled.

Dr. Harvey stood in the doorway. “Back pain?”

Shane nodded.

“I’m fine,” Kate said. “Really. He’s overreacting.”

“Well, it doesn’t hurt to be cautious, hm? Let’s take a look.”

Kate glared at Shane over her shoulder as she followed Dr. Harvey and disappeared around the corner.

Shane sat, crossed his arms, and waited.

“You’re sweet to look out for her,” Maru said. She leaned against the desk and smiled.

“Hmph.”

“She works too hard on that farm,” Maru continued.

“Yup.”

“Oh, come on, don’t be a grouch.”

“I’m not.”

“You don’t have to worry. She’s in good hands.”

“I have to worry,” Shane said. “My life depends on it. Alex would kill me if something happened.”

Maru laughed. “Yeah. That’s it.”

Shane raised an eyebrow, but Kate returned. Shane stood, but she pushed passed him and outside.

“What did he say?” Shane asked, hurrying to catch up with her.

“He said I’m fine. Just like I said.”

“Did he do some kind of test?”

“No. I don’t need a test. I’m fine.”

Shane knit his brows together in concern. “How can he know that? What did he say? Do you need to stop working?”

“He said I’m fine, Shane. Relax. Go get a damn drink or something.” She continued on her way back to the farm, but Shane did not follow her. He stood in the square, watching as she disappeared. He shoved his hands in his pockets and turned away from the road, walking through town towards home.

Marnie sipped her afternoon coffee at the kitchen table when Shane entered. He fell into the chair across from her and sighed.

“Uh oh,” she said. “What’s the matter now?”

“Nothing,” he mumbled.

“C’mon, Shane. You’re such a guy. What’s on your mind?”

He slouched in his seat and studied the grains in the wood of the table.

“I think Kate’s lying to me.”

Marnie raised an eyebrow. “About what?”

“She’s working too hard. She’s not taking care of herself or the baby. She’s in pain but she won’t let me help her.”

Marnie sighed. “What does Dr. Harvey say?”

Shane shrugged. “I don’t know. She said he told her she was fine to keep working. But I think she’s lying.”

“Maybe you could talk to him.”

Shane shook his head. “I can’t go behind her back like that.”

“You’re just looking out for her. If she’s putting herself into a dangerous situation, you need to help her.”

“I didn’t sign up for this.”

“But you did.”

Shane sighed. “I know.” He hesitated. “She just worries me. I don’t know how I can help her.”

“You’re doing everything you can.”

“I wish I could do more.”

Shane watched Kate closely the next day as they worked on the farm. Her face was pale and she seemed slower than usual, but she made every attempt to assure Shane she was okay. But Shane didn’t buy it for a second. Just as they were finishing up on the farm, Kate fell to her knees, panting. Shane hurried to her and pulled her to her feet. He pushed her into the house where she collapsed onto the couch,

“You need to see Harvey,” Shane said fiercely.

Kate shook her head, but she was sweating. “I’m fine. I just did a little too much today. Have this cold coming, too, I think. I just need to rest.”

“Do you still have the pain?”

“No.” She met his gaze and smiled weakly. “I just need a nap. Jak has Penny. I’ll be fine. Couple of hours.”

Shane hesitated. He wanted to trust her, but something wasn’t right. “All right,” he said slowly. “Fine. But I’m coming to check on you later.”

“Whatever makes you feel better, man.”

Shane pinched his lips together and headed for the door. He looked over his shoulder at her one last time before he closed the door behind him.

Shane slid into his usual seat at the bar that afternoon. He couldn’t be home any longer. Lewis had been there for hours, flirting quietly with Marnie, and Shane couldn’t stand to be around it.

“How’s farm life treating you?” Gus asked Shane as he absentmindedly cleaned a glass.

“Not what I signed up for.”

“Too much manual labor for you? Watch it, you can’t get shown up by a girl.”

Shane smiled. “She’s got a good handle on things.” He took a sip of his beer. “I don’t mind, though. Beats sitting around the house all day, listening to Lewis and Marnie giggle like teenagers.”

Gus raised an eyebrow at him. “Oh?”

“Don’t make me talk about it.”

Gus nodded. “Please don’t.”

Shane felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He fished through it, pulling it out. Kate’s name flashed on the screen. His stomach twisted nervously.

“Kate?”

The line was quiet.

“Kate? Are you okay?”

Shane strained to listen. There was shallow breathing. A groan. A loud clatter, as if the phone had dropped to the floor. Something was wrong. Shane’s heart raced. He met Gus’s gaze.

“I gotta go,” he said, shoving the phone in his pocket and pushing himself away from the bar. He ran outside into the warm night air and towards the farm, passing Lewis and Penny on the way.

“Shane,” Lewis started. “Listen.”

“Something’s wrong with Kate,” Shane panted, slowing only for a second. Lewis and Penny did not hesitate, falling hot on his heels as they ran through the night.

“Kate?” Shane banged on the door. Dusty barked erratically from inside. Shane pushed the door open. The room was dark. Kate lay on the floor, clutching at her stomach, blood pooling around her. Shane stared horrified at the sight, frozen.

“We need to get her to Dr. Harvey,” Lewis said.

“I’ll tell him you’re on your way,” Penny said quickly.

Shane forced himself to approach Kate. He let his hands run across her face and to her neck where her blood pulsed beneath his fingers. He let out a small sigh of relief and wrapped his arms around her.

“C'mon, Kate, I’ve got ya.” He lifted her off the ground carefully and carried her outside. She groaned in his arms, coming to for a moment. Penny was on the phone, talking frantically to Dr. Harvey. Lewis was at Shane’s side, looking over Kate quietly.

“Well, what on Earth happened to you?” he said in his usual way - an attempt to lighten the grim situation at hand. But this time, his voice shook. Panicked.

Shane tightened his hold on Kate, pulling her as close to him as he could as they hurried down the road. Dr. Harvey was running towards them already.

“What happened?” He searched frantically for Kate’s pulse. He pressed against her stomach carefully, but Kate screamed in pain.

Shane winced and tried to comfort her. “You’re okay,” he whispered. “I’ve got you.”

“Shane, what happened?”

Shane hesitated as he recalled the blood on the floor. “There was blood everywhere…"

“Get her inside.”

Lewis held the door open and Shane carried her into Harvey’s office, laying Kate carefully on one of the beds, already prepped by Maru. She stood off to the side as they entered, worry on her face.

Harvey hurried in after them, already in his scrubs.

“What are you going to do?” Shane asked, his voice shaking.

“I have to get this baby out of her.”

“You can’t,” Shane said, panicked. “It’s too early.”

“Out!” Harvey hollered at them. “I’ve go this, Shane. I will do everything I can to save them both.”

Maru pushed them quickly out of the room, closing the door behind them. Shane stared dumbly at the door. Lewis’s hand was on his shoulder.

“Come on, Shane. There’s nothing we can do now except wait.”

Waiting. That was the worst part. Shane hesitated, but turned and followed Lewis into the waiting room. He sat down and rubbed his face with his palms as Kate’s body flashed through his mind, over and over.

“Jak.” He was at the house, alone. Someone needed to be there for him.

“Penny is there now,” Lewis said, sitting beside him.

Shane nodded and leaned his head against the wall, staring at the ceiling.

“You could be here all night, Shane.”

He nodded again.

Lewis hesitated. He let his hand rest on Shane’s shoulder before he stood up. “Keep us posted,” he said. “I’ll have Gus keep the bar open for ya.”

Shane drifted in and out of an uneasy sleep as he waited. The hours passed without any word from Maru or Harvey. His stomach twisted as he lay across the couch, staring at the white walls around him. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Harvey entered. His face was distraught as Shane jumped up from the couch. His heart raced in his chest. He prayed to Yoba that Kate was still alive. Let her be alive.

“She’s okay,” Harvey said, his voice hoarse. “She’s been resting for the last couple of hours. You can see her if you want.”

Shane hesitated. “What about the baby?”

Harvey shook his head and looked to the ground. “I couldn’t save her.”

Her.

Shane’s stomach twisted sickeningly.

“Kate would have died if I didn’t take her out. I couldn’t save them both…”

“You made the right choice,” Shane muttered.

Harvey cleared his throat. “I need to check on her.”

Shane followed Harvey into Kate’s room. He hesitated outside the door before poking his head around the corner.

“I want to keep her until the morning,” Dr. Harvey said to him. “You can go home, Shane.”

“If you don’t mind, I’ll stay. Kinda promised Alex, anyway.”

Dr. Harvey didn’t bother to argue. He left them alone in the room. Shane made himself comfortable in the chair beside the bed, kicking his legs up on the arm of the chair. He looked her over carefully, quickly trying to gather his composure.

“You don’t have to stay,” Kate said, her voice soft.

Shane shrugged. “It’s either here or drink at the bar.”

“It’s one in the morning.”

“Yup. And Gus has it running all night tonight.”

“Why?”

“Well, guess everyone was just pretty shook up about what happened. They’ve been waiting for updates.”

“Oh.”

“You know how it goes. Small town.”

“Mhm.”

Shane was quiet. “They care. Want to make sure you’re okay.”

“Yeah.”

He hesitated. “I can go update them now.” He started to get up.

“Can you stay?”

He paused. “Mhm. Course.” He sat back down.

Kate was quiet. Shane continued to watch her carefully.

“I would have named her Clara,” Kate finally said.

Shane nodded and swallowed at the lump that had stubbornly formed in his throat. "Clara. Good name. I bet Clara would have looked just like you.”

“She has Alex’s eyes.”

“Hopefully not his attitude.”

Gus pulled his phone out of his pocket. A text from Shane.

“This one’s on me, people,” he said with a heavy sigh. “To baby Clara.”

The glasses raised around the room.

“To baby Clara.”

• Skyloft-Farm

It had been days since Shane heard from Kate. He guided her home the morning she was released from Harvey’s, but she hardly said a word to anyone. He was afraid to leave her alone, but she just sat at the couch and stared at the wall. He tried to give her space, coming by the farm in the morning to tend to the animals by himself. But when she made no effort to talk to anyone, Shane decided enough was enough.

He leaned against the door and knocked, but Kate did not answer. He strained to listen, but no sounds came from inside.

“Kate? Kate. C'mon, Kate.”

He twisted the knob, but it was locked.

“Kate… Kate, C'mon. Open the door…”

There was no answer. Dusty did not bark. Jak did not cry. Silent.

Shane leaned his back against the door and slid down, rubbing his face in his hands. Kate had shut herself out of the world. His heart raced in his chest. What if something was wrong? He had to do something for her. He had to help her.

He found himself in Dr. Harvey’s office. He was the only one that could help Kate. She was in a dark place and there was nothing Shane could do for her.

“She needs help,” Shane muttered.

“I’ve done all I can do to help her,” Harvey said, not looking up from his paperwork.

“She doesn’t come out of that house. No one has seen her in weeks. There has to be something you can do.”

Dr. Harvey looked him over carefully. “She’ll pull through this.” He turned back to his papers.

“I’m not so sure.”

Dr. Harvey stood, his brows knit together. “What do you want me to do, Shane? Load her up on pills? That won’t help her. I won’t do that to her. It will only mask the problem.”

“It will help her.”

He shook his head. His forehead creased with worry. “She’s not in a good place. Drugs… they’re too strong. I wouldn’t want them in her possession. I won’t risk it.”

“That’s your go to excuse for everything,” Shane muttered.

Dr. Harvey narrowed his eyes. “Why? Because I wouldn’t give you, a depressed alcoholic, any? Because I don’t trust you not to fuck up? I’m a doctor. I do what is in the best interest for my patients. Drugs are not in anyone’s best interest right now. Not hers, and certainly not yours.”

Shane’s stomach twisted. He looked away, feeling ashamed. “This isn’t about me. This is about Kate.”

Dr. Harvey shook his head. “I don’t trust you, Shane. All it takes is one bad night. You know that as well as I do. One night of drinking, one night of too many pills. There’s been enough death and drama here. I won’t put up with any more.”

Shane could feel his chest tighten. A mixture of shame and helplessness. He just wanted to help her. To see her smile again. “So I’m supposed to just sit here and watch her suffer?” he hissed. “She will destroy herself.”

“She has an entire community to help her. I’m confident she will pull through this. She’s a tough girl. She just needs time.”

Shane turned, defeated, and headed for the door.

“You’re in dangerous territory,” Dr. Harvey said to him. “She’s a married woman.”

Shane hesitated before slamming the door shut behind him.

“Kate?” Shane was at her door again. This time, he was angry. Angry that he couldn’t do anything to help her. “Damnit, Kate,” he growled. “I’m getting you out of here, whether you like it or not.”

He fumbled with the knob and pulled two pins out of his pocket. It had been ages since he picked a lock, but as he fiddled with the lock, it clicked open. He pushed the door open quickly. Miso greeted him, rubbing against his legs and letting out a whine. He followed the cat into the bedroom. Dusty wagged his tail and whined, but did not get up from his spot on the edge of the bed.

“Kate.”

Kate lay on the bed in the darkness. The only movement was from her slow, shallow breathing. Shane sat on the bed and inched towards her. He let his arm wrap around her and pulled her into him. He listened in the darkness to her breathing, but she did not speak. He let his fingers run through her hair, but she did not move. He leaned his head against her and sighed. He lay with her for a long time until the growling of her stomach broke the silence.

Shane stood. He needed to get her up. She needed to eat. He pulled at her arms until she was on her feet, but her knees buckled from under her. Shane caught her as she fell forward and she sobbed into his chest. Shane wrapped his arms around her once more, lifted her off the ground and onto the bed. He held her hands in his and looked into her eyes.

“I brought pizza,” he said, forcing a smile.

When Kate didn’t say anything, he made his way into the kitchen, returning with a glass of water.

“Come on.”

She stared at the glass in his hands.

“Drink that, and the next one will be vodka.”

She took the glass and finished it quickly.

Shane pulled her up once more, letting her steady herself on his arm. He guided her into the bathroom and started the shower.

“In.”

Shane watched as she stared at the running water for a moment, then proceeded to lift off her shirt.

“Woah,” he said, turning away. “Okay. You got this.”

He hurried out of the bathroom, closing the door behind him. He leaned against the door and stared into the darkness until a knock brought him out of his thoughts. Penny was at the door, her face creased with worry. In her hands, she had a fruit basket.

“Did you get her out?”

“Working on it,” Shane said as he leaned against the door frame.

“Is she okay?”

“She will be.”

Penny handed him the basket. “Not that this fixes anything,” she muttered. “But I figured she could use something fresh.”

Shane nodded and took the basket from her.

“Keep us posted. Let me know if you need any help.”

Shane closed the door as Penny left and set the basket on the table. He sat and waited for Kate to return. When she did, she sat across from Shane, eying the basket carefully.

“Penny brought that for you,” Shane said casually.

Shane watched as she picked at the grapes. He smiled approvingly.

Shane slept on the couch that night. He wasn’t leaving Kate alone again. She couldn’t be alone. And he didn’t trust her to be alone. Dr. Harvey was right; she was in a dark place. Shane didn’t know if he could drag her out of it. Some nights, he couldn’t even drag himself out of it. But he had to try. For her.

He stared into the darkness, lost in thought for most of the night. The blood on the floor had been cleaned up, but he could still see it there, Kate’s body lying in the corner. It haunted him.

Sleep eluded him for most of the night. But when he was granted a few moments, his sleep was restless and terrifying. The blood. The waiting. The bright lights.

Finally, the morning sun began to light the room. Giving up, he got up from the couch and stretched. He peeked into Jak’s room. He was sleeping soundly, unaware of the loss of his little sister. Unaware of his mother’s suffering. Happy and safe. Shane let his fingers slide across his soft cheeks. He suddenly felt protective of the little boy. Kate had lost too much already. He would do anything to make sure Kate and Jak were safe and happy.

He sighed and pulled himself away. He made his way into the kitchen where he started the coffee. He sipped it quietly at the table, staring at the walls before he made another cup. He heard movement from the bedroom and he prepared a second mug. He forced a smile when Kate entered. She looked like hell. He handed her the mug and she took it eagerly. They sat across from each other at the table.

“You know,” Shane said. “I’ve been keeping up with everything out there. Now, I’m not saying you owe me, but a thank you would be nice.” Shane watched her for a moment. “Listen,” he said matter-of-factly. “If I have to get up and get through each day, you do, too. We’re gonna get through each day, okay?”

Kate met his gaze and nodded slowly.

“Okay,” he said. He stood and held his hand to her. “At least come check out the farm.”

He waited as Kate gathered her son, then led Kate outside and guided her through the farm. He brought her passed the crops, which he had harvested, and into the barn. He pointed at the trough.

“Look,” he said. He made showed her the spicket above the trough. “It’s connected to the well, like the sprinklers, so you don’t have to worry about frozen hoses this winter.” He straightened and admired his work. “I can’t take all the credit. Gus and Clint helped me with this. Actually, it was Vincent’s and Jas’s idea. Smart, eh?”

Kate’s lips twisted into a small, forced smile.

Shane’s eyes were soft, but he forced a smile in return. “So, you know. Pretty cool. Auto waterers. Did it in the coop, too. With the heater going, you’ll be all set.”

He pulled Kate out of the barn and to the stable. Moose greeted them with a nicker and Shane treated him to a carrot.

“He’s been looking for you,” Shane said as he patted the horse’s nose. He watched as Kate reached for his warm neck, scratching him just under his mane. His ears flicked at the bugs and he sighed happily.

Shane brought her back across the farm towards the house. Kate sat on the front steps and rocked Jak quietly. Shane sat beside me and sighed.

“Well,” he began. “I did what I could around here.” He hesitated.“I wish there was more I could do.” His voice was soft. “For you.”

Shane watched as she focused her attention to her son, running her hand through his hair.

“What do you want me to do?” Shane asked quietly.

Kate was quiet, lost in thought. She leaned her head against his shoulder and sighed.

Shane stared at his feet for a moment, then pulled her chin to him, meeting her gaze. He searched his eyes. There was still life in them.

“Just say something,” he whispered.

Kate pulled away. Shane’s heart sank. He looked out over the farm, waiting, until Kate finally spoke.

“Thanks.”

Winter had arrived quietly but quickly, blanketing the world in white. Shane continued to help with the animals, but their days were much shorter now. Thankfully, there wasn’t as much that needed to be done, allowing Kate and Shane a much needed chance to relax from their dramatic fall.

Shane made his way to the farm late one morning. Kate was already outside, sitting on the front steps, watching Jak play in the snow.

“Cold enough for ya?”

Shane sat beside her, rubbing his hands together.

“What are you doing here?”

“What? Don’t want me around now that there’s no work to do? I see how it is.”

She smiled. “No. You know that’s not true.”

“Hmp.” He crossed his arms.

“Shane…” She hesitated.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks for all your help around here.”

“Someone’s gotta do it,” he said with a shrug.

She turned to him. “I mean it. With everything that happened…”

He waved his hand at her but did not meet her gaze. “Forget about it.”

She turned her attention back to Jak. “You probably saved my life,” she said softly.

Shane was quiet. He was watching Jak, too. He shrugged. “Nah. Just didn’t feel like explaining to Alex why I didn’t keep a better eye on you.”

Kate rolled her eyes.

“Plus, who would get stuck with Jak? And this farm? I mean, we had a lot riding on your survival.”

“You just can’t be serious, can you?”

Shane met her gaze. “I don’t do well with serious.”

“Well, I’m sorry to have been such a burden on your non-serious lifestyle.”

“Yeah, you should be. I can’t handle all this drama. I’ve got enough of it.”

Kate sighed.

Shane pulled her into his side. “All right. I’m kidding. I’m done.” He kissed her head softly.

“Really?”

“Yeah. It’s the least I could do. I owed you.”

“You owed me? For what?”

He stood and stretched. “A life for a life, hm?” He turned to her and smiled. “Anyway, I’m freezing my ass off out here. See you later?”

Shane turned away, shoving his hands in his pocket, and made his way back into town. He waved to Jas as she played with Vincent in the snow. They rolled the beginnings of a snowman together. He moseyed his way back home where he warmed his feet at the fireplace, beer in hand. He stared at the flames, jumping when Marnie entered, bringing in the cold winter air behind her.

“Close the door,” he muttered. “We don’t live in a barn.”

Marnie tossed her jacket at him and it landed over his face. He pushed the jacket onto the floor and slouched against the couch.

“Nothing to do today, farmboy?” she asked, sitting beside him. She wiggled her toes at the fire.

“Nope.”

“How’s Kate holding up?”

“She’s okay.”

“Good.” She leaned back and inched closer to him with a sigh.

“How’s Lewis?” Shane asked.

Marnie looked at him carefully but he did not meet her gaze. “Fine,” she said simply, turning back to the fire.

Shane nodded. “I guess you could have picked worse.”

“I’m so glad I have your approval,” she said sarcastically.

“Whatever.”

Marnie was quiet for a moment. “What about you? How are you holding up?”

“I’m here, aren’t I?”

“I don’t think that’s funny, Shane.”

He met Marnie’s gaze. “I’m okay.”

Marnie turned to the fire. “I know things have been tough with Kate and the miscarriage. For both of you.”

Shane winced. The memory still haunted him. At night, he couldn’t help but to wonder what would have happened if he hadn’t been there. He couldn’t imagine his life without her.

“I never would have forgiven myself,” he mumbled.

Marnie leaned against his shoulder. “You don’t need to worry about it anymore.”

Shane nodded.

“We don’t have to talk about it.” Marnie straightened and smiled.

“Marnie.” Shane hesitated. “I don’t know what to do.”

“About what?”

“I love her.”

Marnie’s voice was soft. “I know.”

“Aren’t you going to tell me I’m being stupid?”

Marnie got up from the couch and smiled. “It wouldn’t change anything, now, would it?”

• Skyloft-Farm

“Don’t let go!” Jas clutched to Shane’s leg as her legs wobbled on the ice in her brand new ice skates.

“You gotta learn for yourself, Jas,” Shane said. He took her hands and pulled her forward. Her face split into a smile as he let go and she drifted across the ice.

“C'mon, Jas,” Sam said as he skated by her. “Catch up!”

“Stop it, Sam! You’re gonna make me fall!”

“Push him over,” Shane said playfully. Sam shot him a glare as he chased the puck across the ice.

“Don’t be jealous, Shane!” Sam yelled over his shoulder as he made a goal.

But Shane’s attention was elsewhere. The town was quiet. Too quiet. Shane watched as a man in uniform made his way to Kate, his face solemn. Shane stood slowly and watched as Kate took dog tags from his hands and fell to her knees. Pam was shouting. Lewis and Penny held her back. Shane’s mind raced. Alex. Something happened to Alex. He hurried to Kate, getting to his knees and pulling her chin to him, meeting her gaze.

“C'mon,” he said softly. “Let’s get out of here.”

“Jak.” Her voice was barely audible.

“Yeah. Let’s get him something to eat. He must be hungry.”

Shane pulled Kate to her feet, letting her balance on his arm. Kate picked up her son and Shane guided her through the square towards the farm.

Inside, Kate put Jak on the floor to play. She slid against the wall onto the floor. Shane sat beside her but didn’t say anything. When she started to cry, he pulled her into his chest. He leaned his head against hers as she cried. He let his hand brush through her hair. The dog tags lay on the floor beside them. Mullner, Alex. Shane felt his throat tighten. He closed his eyes and buried his face against Kate.

Kate eventually pulled away, rubbing her face. She stood up and sighed. Shane stood, watching her closely, waiting.

“You can go now,” she muttered.

“Kate-” His chest tightened.

“Just go!”

Shane didn’t move. He couldn’t leave her alone. He didn’t want to be alone.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled. “I’ll go.”

Shane walked passed Kate and out the door. He leaned against the door and rubbed his face with his palms. He needed a drink. Badly.

His vision was a blur as he attempted to navigate his way across the farm and back home. He stumbled in through the door and over to the fridge. He grabbed two beers, opening both before collapsing in the chair. The house was empty. Everyone was outside, enjoying the snow, while Alex was lost in some war zone, probably dead.

He drank the first two beers quickly before he let his head rest against the table. He stared at the wall as his mind raced. He worried for Kate. She had just gotten through the miscarriage. She was finally back to her normal self. She was just going to spiral back into depression again.

Shane just wanted to hold her. Kiss her. Love her. Alex was gone. What if he never came back? Shane could be there for her. She could love him like she loved Alex.

Shane’s stomach knotted. Stupid. Alex was his friend, and he was gone. Shane couldn’t be thinking of being with Kate. It was wrong. But if he never came back…

He got two more beers from the fridge as a battle raged in his mind. His heart ached for Kate. It beat for her.

But what if Alex never came back?

He could be with her.

And what if he did?

He couldn’t. He didn’t want him to.

Two more beers.

He was on the floor, now, leaning his head against the cold wall. He let the bottles drop and roll across the floor. His head spun and he groaned.

“Shane.”

Marnie knelt before him.

“What the hell, Shane?”

“Alex is gone,” he slurred. “And I don’t want him to come back.”

“Shane…”

“Fucking stupid,” he muttered. “I can’t wish that for Kate.”

“All right,” Marnie said softly. “Come on.”

“I’m gonna be sick.”

“No, no, no!” Marnie yelled, pulling him to his feet. “Not on my floor!”

Shane stumbled into the bathroom and hurled into the toilet.

“What is wrong with me?” he groaned into the toilet.

“You’re a stupid man who has no control over his emotions,” Marnie muttered from the doorway.

“Ugh. I know.” He leaned against the bathroom wall.

Marnie sat next to him and pulled him into her arms. “C’mon,” she coaxed him.

Shane let her pull him into her arms. He blinked in the bright light.

“We all have bad thoughts,” she said quietly. “Don’t beat yourself up over it.”

“It’s wrong.”

“It’s okay. I won’t tell.”

Shane sighed and leaned into her, suddenly exhausted. He just wanted to sleep for the rest of his life.

Shane leaned his head against the door and knocked. When there was no answer, he knocked again. “Kate.” He needed to see her. He needed to be with her.

The door opened.

“Shane?” She blinked in the darkness.

“Got beer?” Shane pushed passed her and into the house.

“What? Uh. Yeah.”

“Gus kicked me out,” he mumbled, taking a beer from the fridge. After embarassing himself in front of Marnie, he tried to hide out at the saloon, but already half in the bag, Gus refused to serve him after his second beer. He wasn’t done drinking. Not until he couldn’t remember that Alex was gone.

“Huh?” Kate switched on a light. “What time is it?”

Shane shrugged. “Like. One. Ish.” He squinted in the light. His eyes were red.

“Are you drunk?”

“Nah.”

“You’re trashed.”

“And why aren’t you?”

“What?”

Shane let the bottle slam down against the table and let his head rest in his hand. He swirled the bottle around, staring at it.

“Do you think he’s dead?”

“Why are you here?” Kate’s voice shook.

Shane was quiet. He had upset her. He wanted to throw himself over a cliff. His eyes turned to her. “I’m sorry. That wasn’t cool.”

“Shane. Why are you here?”

“I wanted to see you.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re sad and I have to make it better.”

“Why?”

“Because.” He sighed. “I just want you to be happy.”

“You should go.”

Shane stood and nodded. Yes. She was right. He was stupid to be there. “Yup.”

He walked to the door and paused, his hand on the knob. His eyes met Kate’s. He put his hands on her face. Her cheeks were warm. He pressed his lips against hers, but she jerked back, shocked, and he stumbled forward.

“Shane.”

“Yeah.” He opened the door. He turned and smiled. “Not sorry.”

“I am so sorry,” he groaned. He buried his face in his hands.

“You were definitely not sorry,” Kate confirmed.

“What?”

She met his gaze. “You said, ‘Not sorry.’”

Shane groaned. “Well, I am.”

She turned away. “No, you’re not.”

Shane pushed himself away from the bar and out into the cold night. He walked away from the saloon, his hands shoved in his pockets, his shoulders hunched in the cold.

“Shane.”

He paused and turned to her. “Wait. Why are you hung over?”

She shrugged. “Being drunk looked like a good idea after you left.”

Shane pinched his lips together and looked up into the night sky.

“Don’t worry about it,” She said. “You were just drunk.”

Shane walked forward, the snow crunching under his feet.

“It was stupid,” he said as he walked. “I didn’t want to get drunk. Well. Only a little.”

“Why?”

“Because I felt like shit. Why else? Alex is gone. I mean, hell, I just got you out of the house.” He hesitated. “I don’t know. There’s just… a lot on my mind. And now this. I don’t know what to do.”

“Alex could be alive,” she said quietly.

He hesitated. Shane’s voice was soft. “Yeah. He could be.”

“You don’t think he is.”

Shane didn’t say anything. Kate turned away, but he grabbed her hand.

“Tell me what to say,” he whispered in the dark.

“You’ve said enough,” she muttered under her breath.

“Kate, please. I didn’t mean it. I don’t want to believe he’s… gone.”

She was quiet, but Shane held his grip on her wrist. He needed to make things right. He wanted to believe, for her sake. Even if a part of him just wanted to be with her. Her happiness was all that mattered. Even if it was being with Alex.

He let go of her wrist and shoved his hands back into his pockets. He watched her carefully through the falling snow.

“Kate…” He just wanted to tell her he loved her. Maybe it would be enough. Maybe it was all she needed to hear.

“Yes?”

His mouth opened, then snapped shut. He couldn’t do that to her. She held on for Alex. “Shouldn’t you be home with your kid or something?” He trudged through the snow, leaving Kate alone in the cold night.

• Skyloft-Farm

I think I might have went from 17 to 19 by mistake, so that's why there's no actual 18. Consider chapter 19 as chapter 18. I just didn't want it to be off from what I wrote before in case I missed something somewhere xD

Shane made his way to the bar. It was still early in the afternoon. Gus was just opening up, but he didn’t plan on drinking. Not right away, anyway. But he wanted to be somewhere alone. Somewhere other than that house.

Marnie and Lewis stood just outside the bar as he approached. He shoved his hands in his pocket and nodded to Lewis.

“I should get going,” Lewis said carefully to Marnie.

“Don’t leave because of me,” Shane said.

“I’ve got some errands to run, anyway.” He smiled to Marnie before he turned away, leaving them alone.

“You’re not going in to drink, are you?” Marnie said, narrowing her eyes at him.

Shane shook his head. “Just wanted to be alone.”

Marnie’s gaze softened. “What’s on your mind?”

“Nothing.”

“Kate?”

Shane hesitated. “I think I should just keep my distance.”

“You’re not going to help her anymore?”

“I don’t know.” He sighed. “I can’t expect her to be able to do it all. But,” he sucked in a breath, “it’s getting… hard.”

Marnie said nothing, so Shane continued.

“I want to be there for her. I want to be optimistic for her. But every inch of me just wants him to… I just want her to be happy.”

“And what if he comes back? What if she’s happy with Alex?”

Shane looked at his feet. “I won’t come between them. She deserves to get her husband back.”

“And if he doesn’t come back?”

He heard Jak’s laughter and looked up as the toddler ran towards him. He pulled at his pants and reached towards him. “Up!”

Marnie picked up the boy and brought him to Kate. Shane hesitated, watching Kate take her son, before turning into the saloon for the afternoon.

Shane left as soon as it started to get busy. He only had one drink this time. He didn’t feel like dealing with Gus’s judging eyes. He made his way back to the house, locking himself in his room with a pizza and losing himself in the mindlessness of the tv. He flipped through the channels as the room darkened and night crept in. He felt a wave of depression wash over him, but he refused to get up and get a beer. With a sigh, he switched off the tv and climbed into bed, cranking the ac and throwing the blankets over his head.

His phone buzzed on the night stand and he poked his head out eagerly. He fumbled for the phone while remaining under the covers and pulled it under with him. The screen was blinding as he read the text. It was Kate.

Dont worry about coming over tmrw.

He stared at the text, rereading the words over and over. His heart sank in his chest. Did Marnie say something to her? He mentioned keeping his distance… but he didn’t mean it. He couldn’t be away from her. He didn’t want to be. Not really. It just sounded like the right thing to say.

y?

He stared at the screen as it turned off, waiting for her response. The seconds felt like hours as he waited. His eyes grew heavy, but a buzzing made him jump.

I dont think we should hang out anymore.

His chest hurt more than any depression had before. He didn’t mean it. He wished he had never said anything. She couldn’t have meant it. Take it back.

Is that what you really want?

The waiting was longer this time. Painfully longer. He wanted to be there, with her. He wanted to see her face. He knew when she was lying. Something was wrong. She was upset. She never would tell him to stay away.

Unless she loved him, too. And she was afraid. He wanted to tell her it was okay. That he was afraid, too. He wanted to hold her. Kiss her.

Or maybe she knew he loved her. And she didn’t love him. So she was trying to end their friendship.

It would have been the right thing to do. Right?

Another buzz.

No.

He gripped the phone in his hands. He knew she didn’t mean it.

So y do you keep pushing me away?

He pulled himself out from under the covers. He needed to be there. There was something on her mind and they needed to talk. He wanted to talk.

No. He couldn’t go see her. Not again. He would just make things more complicated. He wouldn’t be able to hold himself back. And he didn’t want to deal with that again.

I’m not.

He didn’t know what to say. Did she still want his help? Should he still go over? Yes. He would. She needed his help. But that was it. Just help. Nothing more.

K. see ya tmrw.

The town had been abuzz about news with the war. There was talk of a victory, but no one knew if the rumors were true. An announcement was to be made that morning, and everyone gathered in the community center anxiously.

Shane stood against the far wall, away from everyone else, but eager to hear the news. His eyes drifted to Kate and Jak, sitting quietly on the couch with Penny and Leah. Kate busied herself with her child, not paying attention to the tv in front of them. It didn’t effect her.

There was a collective sigh of relief and happy murmurs. The war was won. They had won. Kent and Abigail would be returning home, without Alex.

Kate slid into the bar seat beside Shane that night. Pam was talking excitedly from across the room to Jodi, Carolyn, and Lewis. She would be picking up Kent and Abigail from the airport.

Shane couldn’t feel the excitement they felt, though. He glanced at Kate, who stared blankly into her empty glass.

Shane tapped the counter. “Two more.”

Gus slid two bottles in their direction. Shane nodded his thanks.

“Don’t listen to that drunk,” Shane said into his bottle.

“Why? Because she won’t be bringing my husband home? Everyone else has accepted it.” Her voice raised. “You’d rather just assume he’s dead.”

Shane’s chest ached for Kate. But she was right. He wasn’t optimistic like she was, as much as he tried to be a support for her.

“No one is assuming he’s dead,” he mumbled.

“You are. You all are.”

“He’s been missing for almost a year, Kate.”

“You’ve given up,” she hissed.

“Well, what else could it be?” His voice was louder now. “The war’s over, Kate. And there’s no Alex.”

He regretted the words immediately, but it was too late. He watched Kate’s face whiten, creased with pain. His stomach twisted sickeningly. He wanted to reach out to her. To hold her.

Kate pushed herself away from the bar, but her knees gave out as the tears fell down her cheeks.

“Kate!” Leah pushed passed him, hearing his outburst, and held Kate in her arms.

“Kate,” Shane began quietly. “I’m sorry.”

“You’ve done enough,” Leah hissed at him. “Get out of here.”

Shane didn’t hesitate to leave the bar, feeling all eyes on him. They were quiet as he slammed the door behind him.

Shane shoved his hands in his pockets as he walked away from the bar. He hesitated, turning back, but stopped himself. He proceeded to pace up and down the road until the door to the saloon flew open and Kate stumbled out. He hurried to her as she fell into his arms and he pulled her into his chest.

“I didn’t mean it, Kate,” he whispered helplessly. “I’m so sorry.”

“You’re right,” she sobbed.

“No.” He hesitated. “No. We don’t know that.”

Kate pushed away and met his gaze. “What if he doesn’t come back?”

Shane didn’t say anything. He looked at his feet. He didn’t know what to say to her. What if he didn’t come back? She wouldn’t be alone. He wanted to tell her that. That he was there for her. That he loved her more than anything.

“Shane…”

“Yeah?” His voice was soft.

“I don’t know what to do… if he doesn’t come back…”

“You push on,” Shane said slowly. “For Jak.” He couldn’t let her fall again. Never again.

“I can’t.”

“You have to,” he growled, gripping her tightly. “You have to, Kate.”

“I can’t,” Kate sobbed.

“You can.”

Kate fell to her knees, crying into Shane’s chest.

“Will you be here?”

He pushed her away and looked into her eyes. “Where am I gonna go?”

“Don’t leave me. Not like Alex.”

“Kate…” He felt his heart ripping through his chest and he struggled to breathe. I’ll never leave you.

“I can’t do it alone.”

“You don’t give yourself enough credit.”

“I don’t want to do it alone.”

Shane hesitated. “You don’t have to.”

“You’ll help me?”

Shane let go of her and looked at the ground. “I won’t leave you alone,” he said quietly.

“Promise?”

He met her gaze but didn’t say anything.

“Do you love me?” Her voice was just a whisper.

His heart stopped in his chest. He searched her eyes. “Alex will come home.”

“You didn’t answer me.”

Shane hesitated. “Does it matter?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

But Kate didn’t answer him. He held his gaze on her and pulled her to her feet.

“You don’t have to help,” she muttered, turning away.

Shane looked to the starlit sky. “I promised Alex.”

• Skyloft-Farm

Shane sat on an old tree stump, watching Jas chase the chickens around their pen. Was it too early to drink a beer? Probably. He sighed and let his chin rest in his hand. Everyone was waiting for Pam to bring Kent and Abigail home. Kate was likely hiding in the house. He didn’t want to bother her, but was anxious to check on her and get to work on the farm.

Marnie and Lewis came around the corner at that moment, their smiles wide.

“You’ll never guess who made it home,” Lewis said to him.

Shane met Marnie’s careful gaze. His heart skipped in his chest.

Lewis looked to Shane, then to Marnie. When neither of them spoke, he continued. “Alex! Alex is home.”

Shane’s heart sank. He immediately regretted feeling disappointed. He forced a smile. “That’s good to hear.”

Lewis narrowed his eyes at Shane for a moment before turning to Marnie. “Yes. Well. I’ll be around if anyone needs me.”

Shane watched as he shuffled away, back into town. “Guess she won’t be needing me anymore.”

“Shane…” But Shane had already disappeared into the house to lock himself in his room with a beer.

Shane ventured out of the house that night and to the saloon. He would have preferred to stay locked in his room, but Alex was home, and he felt he needed to make an appearance. At the very least, to buy his friend a beer.

It was still relatively early when he got there, taking his usual seat in the corner. One by one, people wandered in, and soon the air was filled with excitement. Emily and Gus passed beers around quickly in celebration. Shane watched Kate and Alex from his corner. Kate was ecstatic to have her husband back. He hadn’t seen her smile like that in a long time, and it stung in his chest.

He finished his beer hurriedly, regretting immediately his decision to come to the saloon. Now, all he wanted to do was get away and crawl back into hiding. He paid, tipped Emily graciously, and made his way for the door.

“Welcome home,” he said to Alex as he passed, forcing the words out of his throat.

He stood outside the saloon for a moment, but the door opened once more and Kent let himself outside. Shane was eager to get away, but he hesitated as Kent mumbled to himself and lit up a cigarette.

“Don’t go to war, kid,” he said gruffly.

“Wasn’t planning on it.”

The door opened once more and Alex trotted down the steps towards them. They turned to him but did not greet him.

“What is this, a funeral?” Alex asked, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“You’re damn lucky it ain’t,” Kent hissed. “Could be yours.”

“You’re awfully defensive for someone who almost killed our whole unit.”

“I did what I had to do.”

“And I did what I had to do to save them all. Including you.”

Shane threw his arms in the air. “This shit is getting too real for me.”

“Forget it, Alex,” Kent spat. “Don’t you say a god damn word.”

Alex and Shane watched as Kent marched away angrily.

Shane whistled. “What the hell was that about?”

“Forget it,” Alex said angrily. “Nothing happened.”

Shane studied him for a moment. “You can talk to me, you know.”

Alex met his gaze. “There’s nothing to tell.”

“Alex, you were M.I.A.”

“And now I’m home. Forget about it.”

“What the hell happened out there?”

“I said forget about it!”

Shane was quiet. He turned to his feet. He should have left when he had the chance.

“I’m sorry,” Alex muttered, looking down at the ground. “I just don’t want to talk about it.”

“’S okay,” Shane said. “I get it.”

“Thanks for being around for Kate.”

Shane shrugged. “Yeah. Sure.”

“She told me about Clara.”

Shane shifted his weight on his feet uncomfortably. He didn’t want to talk to Alex about that. Didn’t want to relive the memory. “Oh.”

Alex met Shane’s gaze, his brows knit together. “What happened?”

“Alex, listen…”

Alex watched Shane carefully.

“You don’t need to know the details.”

“I wasn’t there for her. I need to know. I need to know what happened to my daughter.”

“She needs to know what happened to you,” Shane said pointedly.

Alex looked away. “She doesn’t need to know that. I can’t tell her that.”

“She almost died without you. She deserves to know.”

“What are you talking about?”

“It was bad, Alex. Real bad. I thought she was already dead.”

Alex swallowed.

Shane turned back to his feet. “I found her laying in her own blood. There was blood everywhere. She couldn’t stay awake. It almost killed her. Hell, it almost killed Harvey. Didn’t think he’d ever forgive himself.”

“I wish I was there.”

Shane met his gaze, his brows knit together fiercely. “No. You don’t. You got the easy way out. You didn’t know about any of it. About how she suffered without you. About how she had to deal with losing her own child without you. You don’t know what that did to her. To us. We didn’t think she’d come back. We didn’t hear from her for a long time. I went by every day just to make sure she was alive.”

“I didn’t choose to be shipped across the damn sea,” Alex hissed.

“No. You’re right. You didn’t.” Shane sighed. “I know shit was happening over there. But shit was happening here, too. Things aren’t the same as when you left.”

“What are you saying?”

Shane turned away, gritting his teeth together. “She deserves to know, Alex.”

Shane let the door slam behind him. With everyone celebrating at the bar, he had the house to himself. He didn’t bother turn on any lights as he made his way to the fridge. The light poured out into the kitchen as he peered inside, grabbing a beer. The room darkened once more as he closed the door. He popped open the bottle and sat, spinning his phone on the table.

He was on his forth beer when Marnie and Jas made it home. He squinted as the light turned on. Marnie stood in the door way, her arms crossed.

“What?” he grunted.

She turned away disapprovingly, taking Jas’s hand. “Say goodnight, Jas.”

“Night, Shane!” Jas called over her shoulder as Marnie dragged her into her room.

Shane picked at the beer label until Marnie returned, sitting in front of him. She watched him pick at the bottle but said nothing.

“I’m glad Alex is back,” Shane muttered.

“I didn’t say you weren’t,” Marnie said.

“You’re judging me.”

Marnie smiled. “No, I’m not.”

Shane let his head rest against his fist, his elbow on the table. “I didn’t want him to come back.”

Marnie didn’t say anything.

“It was wrong.”

Marnie pinched her lips together. “I understand.”

Shane pushed himself away from the table and stood. “It doesn’t matter, anyway. It never did.”

“I wouldn’t say that.”

“I don’t need anyone to cushion the blow. She’s married. She loves Alex. I was stupid for thinking… stupid for…” He rubbed his temples. “Stupid.”

“I think you should know by now I don’t cushion any blows with you, Shane. I tell you how it is. And it does matter. It will always matter. You did more for her than anyone could have.”

“That’s a cushion. That doesn’t change anything. Alex is here. Kate is with him. They have a family. I’m nothing to her.”

Marnie shook her head. “I wouldn’t be so sure about that.”

Shane met her gaze, hesitant. “What do you mean?”

“I’m not going to tell you she loves you, Shane.” She hesitated. “But you’re not nothing to her.”

“Cushion,” Shane said simply.

Marnie smiled. “Didn’t a little girl once tell you that everyone had secrets?”

Shane stared at the bottle. “Jas was talking about your secrets.”

“She sees more than you realize, Shane.”

Shane spent most of the day with Jas, giving Penny a much needed day off. Vincent was home with his family, so Jas was anxiously pulling at Shane’s arm as they wandered through the woods. She jumped from log to stump as she told Shane about her latest lesson with Penny and how she got an A on her last test.

“Did you cheat off of Vincent?” Shane said, narrowing his eyes at her.

Jas giggled. “No, Shane! I’m smarter than he is. All girls are.”

Shane smiled. “You’re probably right.”

He held her hand as she took a wide jump onto a large rock.

“Did ya know there’s a wizard that lives around here?”

Shane raised his eyebrows. “Really?”

Jas nodded excitedly. “I see him sometimes. Abigail does, too. She tells me about him.”

“Abigail is crazy.”

“Nah uh, Shane! She says he’s nice.”

“Stay away from strangers.”

“He’s not a stranger,” she whined. “He helps put the big haunted maze together!”

“So, he’s friends with Mayor Lewis?”

Jas shrugged. “I dunno. Maybe.” She paused, hopping down from the rock. “I like Mayor Lewis. Aunt Marnie does, too.”

“Yes, I know.”

“You don’t like him.”

“I like him.”

“Don’t lie, Shane.”

Shane sat on a log. “I’m not lying. He’s okay. I don’t mind him, now.”

Jas sat beside him. “You don’t like that he makes Aunt Marnie happy.”

He turned to her. “Do you think he makes her happy?”

Jas smiled. “Yes!”

“Well, I guess that’s all that matters, then. She deserves to be happy.”

Jas kicked her legs into the air. “You deserve to be happy, too.”

“You don’t think I’m happy?”

Jas paused in thought. “Sometimes. You’re always happy when you’re with Kate. Well, you used to be.”

Shane hesitated. “Kate’s my friend.”

Jas smiled. “It’s okay, Shane.”

“Hm?”

“I know you like her.”

“Jas-”

“She likes you, too.”

Shane stood and held out his hand. “C’mon.”

Jas gaze was soft on his. She took his hand. “It’s okay to have secrets.”

Alex slid into the bar beside Shane. Gus passed him a beer. Shane did not turn to him. He drank from his glass quietly, waiting for Alex to speak. They drank in silence for a moment before he broke.

“You’re in love with her,” he stated.

Shane hesitated. He turned to Alex, but Alex did not meet his gaze. He turned back to his beer and finished it as he dug through his mind for something to say. He knew, though, that it was already too late to try to deny it. So instead, he kept his mouth shut and waited for Alex’s threats.

Alex turned to Shane and Shane met his gaze. Alex’s brows were knit together sternly. “Stay away from her.”

Shane pinched his lips together, turned his gaze to the counter, and nodded slowly.

Alex finished his drink and sighed. Without another word, he stood up and left the saloon, leaving Shane alone.

Shane chugged his beer and signaled for another.

“I’m cutting you off after this one,” Gus said to him.

“Um fine,” Shane muttered.

“You’re not fine, Shane. Even I lost count. Damn, I’ve never seen you drink this much. Go home.”

Shane swore under his breath. Gus narrowed his eyes angrily before turning away. Shane stared at the bottle before pushing away from the bar and stumbling out the door.

Jas was still up when he stumbled through the door. She looked up from her drawing at the kitchen table but did not smile at him.

“Shane’s not happy anymore,” she said as Marnie came in from around the corner.

“I see that,” she said, crossing her arms.

Shane ignored them and headed straight for his room. He locked the door behind him, pausing for a moment before letting his fist fly into the wall. He regretted immediately as his knuckles gushed with blood. He poked his head out of his room sheepishly. Marnie stared at him in shock, then gawked at his bloodied knuckles.

“I’ll fix it,” he said between hiccups.

Marnie grabbed an ice pack from the freezer and wrapped Shane’s knuckles carefully as he groaned into his palm. She sent him away with the ice and a bottle of water. He paused in the door way, turning to meet Marnie’s gaze. He raised his fist to her in thanks and closed the door once more.

• Skyloft-Farm

Shane fixed the hole in the wall one handedly the next morning, filling it with plaster before painting over it. When he finished, he unwrapped his knuckles and washed off the dried blood until all that remained were little cuts across his skin. Lucky for him they weren’t broken, hitting a weaker point in the wall, but they were still bruised and sore.

He dug through the medicine cabinet until he found the asprin and he eagerly popped two into his mouth. He stared at the bottle for a moment before putting it back on the shelf and closing the door.

He made his way into the kitchen where Jas and Marnie sat. He joined them at the table without a word.

“How are you feeling?” Marnied asked carefully.

He grunted in response.

“Shane’s sick again,” Jas said as she ate her breakfast. She knew ‘sick’ Shane all too well.

Shane looked away from her, feeling ashamed. He was a terrible role model for her.

“He’ll get over it,” Marnie said coldly. “Go get ready for Miss Penny,” she said to Jas.

Jas pushed herself away from the table and hurried into her bedroom.

“Did you fix my wall?” Marnie asked, cocking her head to the side.

“Yes,” Shane mumbled. “Sorry.”

Marnie sighed and leaned back in her chair. “What are you going to do, Shane?”

Shane hesitated. “Kate doesn’t need me anymore. It’s over with. Alex is home. She’s happy.”

“And what about you?”

Shane shrugged. “Nothing changes. Alex told me to stay away. I’m back to being a nobody.”

“Shane.” Her voice was soft.

Shane stood. “It doesn’t matter,” he said sharply. “This whole mess is done with. I don’t have to see her ever again.”

“She lives here, Shane. You’ll see her every day.”

“Not if-”

“You’re not locking yourself in this damned house,” she interrupted him loudly.

Shane rolled his eyes. “Its fine. I’m fine. I’m over it.”

“Just like that?”

Shane hesitated and turned away. “Just like that.”

He sat at the dock, looking out over the lake. Of course he wasn’t over it. He didn’t think he could ever be over it. Seeing Kate every day only made it worse. But he didn’t have a choice. He had to move on and accept the fact that he would never get his chance. But it didn’t matter. It wasn’t about him. It was about Kate. And Kate was happy. That was all he ever wanted. Except to be the one to make her happy.

He had to be realistic. Kate had everything she wanted. Someone who loved her. Someone she truly loved. A family. A life. She never would have loved him, even if Alex never came back. He wished he could go back and change it. He wished he never fell in love with her. He wished she never moved to Stardew Valley.

But he couldn’t imagine his life without her. Whether they were together or not, she changed his life for the better. He never thought he’d feel the way he did about anyone. And it was something. A reason. He didn’t want to give that up.

“Bye, Shane!”

Shane turned and waved to Jas as Marnie walked her into town. He smiled. Despite it all, he still had them. His odd, misfit family. Jas. She was a reason, too, he reminded himself. And he wanted to be better for her.

Shane found Jas at the edge of the river with Vincent. Kate, Alex, and Penny were there as well. He shifted uncomfortably on his feet as Jas showed him the fish she caught.

He passed Kate and Penny on the bridge, hoping to avoid any conversation.

“Jas tattled on you,” Penny said. “Said you gave her the answers to her homework.”

Shane shrugged and continued on, avoiding them. He took Jas’s hand, avoiding Alex’s glare, and pulled her away.

“Come on,” he grumbled. “Dinner time.”

He pulled Jas anxiously through town.

“Why are you in such a hurry?” she growled at him.

“Because,” he said simply. “Alex doesn’t like me.”

“Yeah, I know.” She pulled her hand out of Shane’s grip and followed him quickly.

“Well, I don’t want to be around him.”

“You can’t avoid him forever,” Jas said.

“Watch me.”

“You’re being a grump.”

“Yup.”

Shane stood at the lake that night, beer in hand. He turned when he heard someone approach. He caught Kate’s gaze and turned back to the lake, but she continued to his side.

“Why are you avoiding me?”

Shane didn’t look at her. He shrugged. “I’m not.”

“Yes you are. Ever since Alex came back. What’s wrong with you?”

He met her gaze sternly. “Alex told me to stay away from you.”

“What? Why?”

Shane held his gaze for a moment before turning away. “'Cuz the kid’s got jealousy issues. Thinks I’m gonna steal you from him.”

“Are you?”

He looked out over the lake before turning back to her. “Am I?”

“No.”

He turned away. “Then I guess not.”

“Was that your plan the whole time?”

“My plan?”

“To steal me away from Alex.”

He smiled at his beer. “There was never a plan.”

“But you wanted to.”

Shane sighed. “I didn’t want to do anything. I didn’t even want to look out for you or care for you.”

“But you did.”

“Alex asked me to.”

“I think there’s more to it than that.”

He searched her eyes. “What do you want me to say? That I fell in love with you? That a sick part of me hoped Alex would never come back?”

Kate hesitated. “Is that true?”

“Would it change anything?”

“Yes.”

His heart skipped in his chest.

“It would change everything,” Kate continued. “I would lose all respect for you.”

He turned away. Of course Kate didn’t care. “I couldn’t help it,” he said softly. “But I never would have acted on it. Even if he… didn’t come back. I never wanted to hurt you or Alex.”

“You have acted on it. You and your stupid drunk night.”

“I didn’t mean that,” he muttered.

“But you did. Being drunk just gave you the balls to do it.”

He hesitated. “That was just one time…”

“But it was real. You didn’t want Alex to come back.”

Shane didn’t say anything.

“Tell me the truth, Shane.”

He looked at her from the corner of his eye. “It doesn’t matter. You said so yourself.”

“Right. It doesn’t matter.” Kate sighed. “I just want things to go back to normal. Alex didn’t mean it. He doesn’t hate you. I don’t want to be the reason you guys aren’t friends.”

Shane turned to her. “The thing is,” he began, “you are the reason. Alex and I can never be friends. I love you too much.” He hesitated. “And Alex is right. I need to stay away. We can’t be friends anymore, either.”

“Shane…”

He shoved his hands in his pockets and turned, walking away.

“Shane!”

But he didn’t hesitate, didn’t turn around. He forced his legs to keep him moving forward, away from Kate as his heart broke in his chest. But it was the right thing to do. He had done everything he could for her, but now he needed to do something for himself.

lilly_ampleton likes this.
                                  • Skyloft-Farm

Shane walked Jas to the library the next morning. He didn’t want to chance running into Kate, but Jas begged him to walk her to class. He suspected Marnie put her up to it to keep him from punching another hole in the wall, but he didn’t bother to argue.

Penny waited with her book when they showed up, fortunately, the first ones there. Shane was eager to leave before he had to face Kate or Alex, but it was already too late. Kate had showed up with Jak, but she didn’t approach them. She pushed Jak forward and he ran towards Shane immediately.

Penny took Jak’s hand as Shane studied Kate. Something was different about her. She was hiding something. She turned away and pulled her hoodie over her face. Shane caught the edge of a purple bruise as she did so. His heart leapt into his throat as he hurried after her. He grabbed her wrist and spun her around, but she avoided her gaze, lowering her head out of his sight.

“What happened to your face?”

“I thought we weren’t friends anymore.”

“You’re hiding something. Did Alex do this?”

“Shane. Stop.”

His voice grew louder. “Did Alex do this?”

Kate said nothing, barely meeting his angry gaze. He was fuming. He could barely breathe. Alex hit her. He hit her.

“I’ll kill him.” He turned, but Kate’s hand was on his arm and he hesitated under her touch. He met her gaze, turning to her. He let his fingers run across the bruise on her face, but she pulled away. His stomach knotted.

“Alex didn’t do this,” she said.

“Look me in the eyes and tell me that,” he growled.

Kate looked into his eyes. “Alex did not hurt me.”

He held his gaze for a moment before turning away. “You’re lying.”

“Alex is hurt. He is hurting. You have no idea what he’s been through. It haunts him. Every single night.”

“You’re hurt,” he snapped. “You’re hurting.”

“What hurts is that I can’t help him.”

Shane hesitated, his eyes inspecting the bruise.

Kate pulled away from him but did not leave. She held his gaze on him for a moment before shoving her hands in her pockets and walking away.

Shane watched her leave but did not chase after her. She wasn’t safe with Alex. Alex was broken now. Suffering. He wasn’t in control of emotions or his actions, and his family was too close to be safe with him. It wouldn’t end with Kate. What if he hurt Jak? What if he killed Jak? Shane’s heart raced and his stomach twisted. Alex wasn’t the same person when he left. He was different. He couldn’t be trusted. Whether he intended to or not, he would hurt them.

Shane hurried home, his mind racing. He had to do something. He had to stop Alex. He had to convince him to get help. Or leave.

He shook his head in an attempt to shake that idea from his mind. He couldn’t make Alex leave. Alex wouldn’t leave. Kate couldn’t be without him again. But they weren’t safe. Alex hurt her, and Shane couldn’t stand by and wait for it to happen again.

Marnie was outside when Shane got back. Her eyes were worried as he approached.

“What’s wrong? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“I don’t know what to do,” Shane stuttered pathetically. “He hit her.”

Marnie froze. “What?”

“Alex. Alex hit her.”

“Shane…”

“She has a bruise on her face!” he shouted.

“I’m sure it wasn’t on purpose…”

Shane turned away, angry. “I can’t let that happen again.”

“Shane. Don’t get involved.”

“Don’t get involved? Alex got me involved. I was involved a long time ago. I won’t stand by and let this happen.”

“Alex is probably going through a lot right now…”

“Fuck that,” Shane spat. “That’s no excuse. He hit her, Marnie.” With every word that came out of his mouth, he could feel his anger boil. He wanted to kill him. To take them away from him. He was dangerous. A monster.

“And you think you’re any better?” Marnie’s voice was louder now.

Shane met her gaze. “Yes.”

“You have no control over yourself, Shane. You’d drink yourself to death if I let you. You punched a damn hole in my wall!”

Shane hesitated, stepping backwards as if she had punched him in the chest. He searched her eyes, feeling helpless. “I would never hurt anyone,” he mumbled.

“Shane-”

“Do you think I would hurt Jas?” He was shouting now, angrier than ever. “I would die before I hurt her.”

Marnie’s eyes were soft. Sad. “Shane. Don’t you think Alex feels the same way?”

Shane held his gaze. “But he did it. He hurt her. I haven’t hurt anyone.”

“You hurt my wall,” Marnie muttered.

He could feel his heart breaking in his chest. “You don’t trust me.” It wasn’t a question.

“Shane, I never said that. I know you wouldn’t hurt Jas.”

He turned away from her. He couldn’t look at her anymore. His mind raced. He wasn’t Alex. He could protect them. He would protect them.

Shane waited for Alex to come home. It was late, but he knew Alex would be making the walk down the road soon, and he was too eager to confront him. And before he knew it, Alex showed, stopping before him, his eyes suspicious of him.

“What are you doing here?” Alex asked.

“You hit her.”

“What?”

“Don’t play dumb, Alex. You hit her.”

“I thought I told you to stay away from her” Alex growled.

Shane pushed himself off the tree, getting into Alex’s face. “You. Hit. Her.”

“I know! Damn it, I know!”

Shane hesitated as Alex started to lose his composure. He did not expect this.

“Do you really think I did it on purpose? Do you think I’m okay knowing that I hurt her? Without even intending to? Without my own knowledge of doing so? Do you have any idea how that kills me?” Alex pushed forward, pushing Shane back into the tree. “Don’t you for a second think you’re better than I am. Don’t you for a second think I would do anything to hurt her. You have no fucking clue, Shane. Don’t for a second think you can judge me. It’s too easy for you to judge me when you don’t have a friggen clue.”

“Then tell me, Alex,” Shane yelled over him. “Give me a reason to believe you can handle this. Prove to me that your family isn’t in danger.”

Alex was silent. He narrowed his eyes at Shane. “My family is not in danger. I am not a danger to them.”

“You’re not?”

Both men stared each other down.

“You have no right to come here and try to tell me I can’t be with my own family.”

“You said it, not me,” Shane said. “You know it’s true. It haunts you - what you could do to them, without even realizing it.”

“You have no idea the things that haunt me,” Alex hissed. “But never has the thought of hurting my family crossed my mind. Not even for a second.”

“You’re lying, Alex. I see it in the bruise on Kate’s face. I see it in the way you look at her. You’re afraid.”

“I’m afraid of a lot of things,” Alex’s voice shook. “Kate is the only thing keeping me sane here. She is the only one keeping me alive.”

“Have you ever thought for a second how she feels? That maybe she’s afraid of you?”

“She’s not.”

Shane said nothing. He held his gaze a moment longer before turning away, but Alex grabbed his shoulder and punched him in the nose. He stumbled backwards, clutching at his nose.

“I regret a lot of things,” Alex muttered.”But my biggest regret is not doing that sooner.”

Shane held his nose and groaned. He pulled his bloodied hand away and spat at the ground. “Fuck you.”

“No, fuck you, Shane. I trusted you with my family.”

“And I took care of them,” Shane spat at him.

“I never should have trusted you with her.”

“She’d be dead if it weren’t for me. Do you think anyone else around here could have done what I did? For you?”

“You did it because you love her. You didn’t do any of it for me. I just had to come back and ruin your plans.”

“That’s not true,” Shane hissed nasally.

“Some damn friend you turned out to be.”

“You know what? I’m not doing this. I’m not going to apologize. Yes, I love her. And I did everything for her. I did everything I could to keep her going, even when she wanted to give up. All of it, and all she cared about was you. But I loved her anyway. And I will always love her. But she will never love me. At least you had someone who truly cared for her. Who had her in their best interests. I never betrayed you. I never acted on anything. I kept her alive.”

“So I should be thanking you?” Alex accused. “For loving her?”

“What does it matter what I feel? Are you that insecure? She loves you. I get to sit here and watch her love you. Isn’t that enough for you?”

“Don’t try to turn this around and make me the bad guy.”

“Don’t make me the bad guy. I can’t change how I feel. But I would never come between you and her.”

“And I’m supposed to believe that?”

“Yes.”

Alex was quiet for a moment. He studied Shane’s bloodied face. “Stay away from her,” he growled. “Stay away from us.”

He stepped passed Shane. Shane watched as he disappeared down the dark road. He cursed loudly into the night. His nose was throbbing. Painful, but it didn’t seem broken. Alex held back. He knew it.

Shane wiped his bloodied hands on his shirt and ran his sleeve across his nose. He trudged through the night, ignoring the pain, until he got back to the house. Marnie rushed to him, guiding him to the chair and inspecting his nose.

“What the fuck, Shane,” she muttered as she cleaned off the blood, despite his attempts to pull away from her. She wrapped an ice pack in a towel and placed it carefully on his nose. “Hold that there. It doesn’t look broken.”

Shane held the ice pack to his nose as instructed and let his cheek rest on his fist, groaning as the ice started to numb his face.

“Why did you do that?”

“You don’t even know what happened,” he grumbled.

“You confronted Alex and he beat the shit out of you.”

Shane scoffed through the ice. “He didn’t beat the shit out of me.”

“You’re damn lucky he didn’t. He should have.”

“Why are you on his side?”

Marnie sighed and rubbed her face with her hands. “I’m not on anyone’s side. Right now, I’m on Kate’s, and Kate better get the hell out of town while she still can.”

“He’s violent, Marnie.”

“Don’t even talk, Shane. I can’t deal with the two of you, acting like a bunch of immature teenagers.”

“This isn’t a joke.”

“This isn’t your place.”

“I won’t stand by and let this happen,” he hissed.

Marnie stood. “You need to be careful, Shane. If he’s as dangerous as you think…”

“He won’t kill me.”

Marnie hesitated. “I can’t tell you what to do, Shane. Please… just be careful.”

Shane stayed home when Marnie brought Jas to class for the day. The blood had stopped over night and all that remained was a bruise. He washed his face, cleaning up the rest of the dried blood before Jas would see anything. He stared at his reflection and studied the purple color on his face. He turned away and sighed, drying his face carefully.

He was on the couch, staring at the tv when Marnie returned, but she did not bother him. She busied herself in the coop for the morning, returning later in the afternoon to clean up.

“How’s the nose?” she said, sitting beside him. Shane hadn’t moved all day.

“It works.”

“That’s always a plus.”

“Tell me what to do, Marnie.”

Marnie hesitated. “I can’t do that, Shane.”

“I don’t know what to do. I can’t just sit here and do nothing.”

Marnie sighed. “Alex will pull through this. He won’t put his family in danger. You need to trust that he will do what he has to do. But you cannot interfere.”

“I have to. I can tell him to leave.”

“So you can try to swoop in and be the hero?”

Shane said nothing.

“Kate doesn’t need a hero. She needs her family. And you need to trust that she can handle things, even if it comes down to leaving Alex. This needs to be on her terms.”

Shane pinched his lips together, still staring at the screen.

“I know you love her, Shane,” Marnie said softly. “But you’re not a part of her life anymore.”

Shane looked out over the lake that night, contemplating Marnie’s words. She was right, of course, but he hated to admit it. He couldn’t stand the idea of standing idly by while their family fell apart. Maybe Marnie was right. Maybe Kate could handle things. But she couldn’t do it alone. She needed him. She always needed him, and he would always be there for her.

Maybe that was the problem. He was too involved, now. He knew he couldn’t interfere without upsetting Alex, which would only make the situation worse. But he couldn’t live, seeing her every day, and knowing there was nothing he could do for her.

“Can we talk?” Kate stood behind him.

Shane shrugged and continued to stare out over the lake. “About what?” He brought the beer in his hand to his lips.

“Maybe about you and my husband getting into a fist fight?”

Shane smiled. “I thought you would have enjoyed it.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Two guys fighting over you. Isn’t that every girl’s dream?”

“You think that little of me?”

Shane rolled his eyes at the lake.

“Stop being an ass. What the hell is wrong with you?”

“I’m sorry,” he said simply. He was being an ass. It was his go-to. Maybe it would make things easier if Kate hated him.

“You don’t look sorry.”

Shane sighed and looked to the ground. “I am. I’m sorry. But in my defense, he started it.”

“I know.”

“Look.” He hesitated. “It’s too late to go back. I can’t change the way I feel. But I won’t come between you and Alex. I would never do that.”

“I know.”

“I can’t be around you anymore, either.”

Kate was quiet.

“So,” Shane said with a sigh. “I’m leaving.”

“What?”

“Tomorrow. I’m leaving.”

“Shane… you can’t leave. Where are you going? You have family here.”

Shane met her gaze. “I can’t live the rest of my life seeing you, knowing you’ll never be mine.”

“Shane… Don’t do this. I wouldn’t be alive if it weren’t for you. You can’t just up and leave.”

“My mind’s made up.”

“So, I’ll just never hear from you again?”

Shane didn’t answer. He finished his beer, then turned to her, his eyes on hers. He let his hand rest against her face. The bruise, still visible, was starting to heal. His heart pulled in his chest. He wanted to make the pain go away. He held his gaze, hesitant. His heart raced, pulling towards her.

“Lie to me,” he whispered. He let his hands cup her face, pulling her closer to him. “Just once.”

Kate hesitated, her gaze locked on his, searching his eyes. Shane held his breath, waiting. His eyes pleaded with her. Just one moment. That was all he wanted before he left her forever.

Her breath was warm against his lips as she whispered the words he ached to hear. “I love you.”

Shane pressed into her, letting his lips brush softly against hers. His arms wrapped around her as she pushed into him. Their lips lingered for a moment before he pulled away. He searched her eyes, hoping for a spark of truth, before he turned away.

“Night, Kate.” His voice was soft. He turned away, leaving her alone in the darkness, and headed home.

• Skyloft-Farm

And that concludes the 'Shane' chapters. The next post will continue where the story left off at chapter 33. Enjoy!

• Skyloft-Farm

Shane had never seen the wizard before, but as he watched the man in the trees, he instantly knew he was the wizard. The wizard met his gaze and smiled.

”Didn’t expect to see anyone out this far,” he commented.

Shane hadn’t even realized how far he had wandered through the forest, and it was getting darker quickly.

“I know why you’re here, Shane,” the wizard said.

Shane hesitated, meeting his gaze.

“I know what you want to ask me. And I will agree to give you a chance. One chance.”

Shane raised a skeptical eyebrow. “What?”

“To change things.”

“I don’t know what you’re-”

“Don’t act innocent in this. Everyone has those feelings and thoughts. If only one thing could be different. If Alex never came back. How different do you think it would really be?”

Shane’s heart raced, hopeful. “I don’t want that,” he said quickly.

“Yes, you do. Don’t feel guilty about it. I can make it happen. Isn’t that what you want?”

Shane was quiet. Of course that’s what he wanted. But it was wrong.

“I can grant you that one chance, Shane.”

“What happens if I say yes?” Shane said slowly.

“You want to know if it is permanent.”

Shane held his gaze, waiting for the wizard to answer.

“Only if you want it to be. But you don’t have to decide now. Take your chance, Shane.”

Shane nodded hesitantly and suddenly, he was standing at the edge of the lake. The sun was just peeking over the horizon. Jas trotted over to him excitedly, Marnie just behind her.

“Are you coming, Shane?”

“Hm?”

“Abigail and Kent are coming home.” She took his hand and led him towards the bus stop where a crowd had gathered, waiting anxiously. Shane looked around, but Kate was no where to be seen. Just as he remembered it, Pam pulled up in the bus and the doors slammed open. Abigail stepped out first, followed by Kent. This time, Alex did not follow.

Shane’s throat tightened as Carolyn and Pierre hurried toward their daughter. Vincent ran to his father, jumping in his arms. Alex still did not appear. What had he done?

Shane hurried down the road towards the farm. Dusty chased the chickens around happily, but Kate was not there. He trotted up the steps, knocked twice, and pushed the door open, peeking his head inside. Kate looked up from the table, Jak on her lap, and forced a smile.

“They’re home,” she said simply.

Shane nodded.

Kate sighed and cleared her throat. “You don’t have to help me today. I’m sure Gus will have the Saloon open all day.”

Shane shrugged and tried to ignore the pain in his chest. He had caused this. “I’d rather be doing something useful,” he muttered. “C'mon. Dusty’s terrorizing the chickens out there.”

“Guess there’s nothing left for us to do here,” Shane said as he packaged up the last of the eggs.

“Mhm.”

“What do you want to do? Go into town?”

Kate hesitated. “No. I just… want to stay here. Away from everyone.”

Shane nodded. “Okay.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I know. But I want to.”

Kate patted Dusty’s head. The dog wagged his tail and panted happily.

”Let’s take a walk,” Shane suggested.

Kate picked up Jak and they walked towards the forest. Feeling guilty, Shane looked for the wizard, but he was no where to be seen. And Kate was no longer at his side. Panicked, he spun on his heels, but there she was at the edge of the lake as Jak played on the bank, distracted by the fish that swam close to shore. He reached for them, but Kate pulled him back before he could fall in. Jak giggled as his mother pulled him into her lap.

Shane sat beside her and Kate sighed, looking out over the lake.

“What do I do now?” she said softly.

Shane closed his eyes tightly. “You live,” he said simply.

Kate nodded. She almost expected Alex to get off that bus. To surprise her. To be safe. Alive. But he didn’t get off that bus. And he probably never would.

“It’s so hard,” she choked out. “I didn’t think… I thought he’d come home. I was so stupid to think…”

Shane met her gaze. “You’re not stupid. It’s not stupid to hold on.”

“I should have been more realistic.”

“You can’t blame yourself.”

“He’s gone,” she sobbed. “I’m alone.”

Shane pulled her into him and she cried into his chest. He let his fingers run through her hair.

”You’re not alone,” Shane muttered into her hair. “You have me. And Jak.”

Kate’s body shuttered against him as she gasped through her tears. Shane held her tighter and watched as Jak played in the mud, without a care in the world. Without a father.

His chest tightened. He did this. He did this to them. He wanted to make it right. To take her pain away. She didn’t deserve this. His eyes searched the forest, but there was still no sign of the wizard.

He waited until Kate’s breathing slowed, but she did not pull away. Jak made his way to them, muddy and happy, sitting in his mother’s lap. Kate sat up and smiled at her son.

”Someone needs a bath,” she said quietly. She kissed his cheek and stood.

“Do you want some help?” Shane asked, hesitant.

Kate shook her head. “I’m fine. I think I just want to… hide in the house today.”

Shane didn’t argue with her. He watched her lead Jak back to the farm. Shane looked back out over the lake, searching once more for any sign of the wizard. When it started to get dark, he turned towards home, eager for a cold beer.

• Skyloft-Farm

The next morning flew by as Kate and Shane fell back into their routine. Before long, the chores were done and they had another open day. And it was turning out to be a very hot afternoon.

“How about we go to the beach?” Shane suggested, holding Jak in his arms. “Jak’s gotta learn to swim sooner or later.”

Kate shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Come on. It’s hot as balls. We’re going to the beach.”

“Okay,” she agreed, hesitantly.

They walked down the dirt path into town, bumping into Pam just at the edge of the road. Her face was heavy as they approached.

“Shane,” she muttered.

“What’s going on?”

“Maybe you should-”

But it was too late. Kate already recognized the vehicle that waited just outside. Someone from the army was in town, and that could only mean one thing.

Kate’s heart raced as she pushed passed Pam and Shane, hurrying into the square. Evelyn and George stood just outside of the house as the man handed them a folded flag. Kate watched as Evelyn fell to her knees, sobbing loudly. She clutched at the tags around her neck as her throat closed up. Shane was at her side, pulling at her arm, speaking to her, but she could not hear him. The world spun rapidly and her stomach twisted sickeningly. She couldn’t stand there any longer. She needed to get away. So she started running until her feet splashed in the ocean and she heaved into the water. She fell to her knees and began to cry.

Shane picked up Jak who wiggled in his arms, reaching for his mother who had left him alone.

”Do you want me to take him?” Penny was at his side, her voice soft.

Shane looked around anxiously for Jas.

”They’re with Marnie,” Penny said, answering his question. “I brought them over when the men showed up.”

Shane shook his head. “I’ve got him,” he mumbled, turning away and heading to the beach.

Jak yelled when he saw his mother and Shane put him down, letting the little boy run to Kate. Kate let the boy crawl into her lap and she sobbed into his head. Shane watched from a distance before leaving her alone. He needed a drink, but he didn’t want to be anywhere in town at that moment. He kept to the river, hoping to stay out of sight, as he made his way back home where Jas greeted him enthusiastically.

”What’s going on?” she asked curiously. “Miss Penny said we had to stay here today.”

Shane nodded and cleared his throat. “What are you guys learning today?”

”Miss Penny said we had to read quietly, but Aunt Marnie said we could play with the chickens. Can we go outside and play?”

Shane smiled. “Yeah. Sure. But stick around here, okay?”

Jas and Vincent ran out of the house excitedly. Shane followed them as they made their way to the lake, jumping on the rocks.

“Be careful,” he warned. Shane watched as they played together on the shore of the lake until Penny made her way to them.

“Where’s Kate?” she asked Shane quietly.

“At the beach with Jak.”

“Why aren’t you with her?”

“She doesn’t need me bothering her right now.”

Penny didn’t say anything. She called to Vincent and he and Jas hurried to them.

“Time to go home, Vincent,” she said, taking his hand.

“Already?”

Penny nodded. “Mom wants you home.”

Vincent groaned as Penny pulled him along. He turned and waved to Jas before they disappeared down the road.

“Come on, Jas,” Shane said. “Let’s go help Aunt Marnie with the chickens.”

Jas followed Shane back towards the house. She hurried into the barn while Shane headed into the kitchen, grabbing a beer. He picked aimlessly at the label in between sips until he forgot why he was drinking.

It was dark when Shane made his way to the farm to check on Kate. He hadn’t seen her all day, but when he made his way down the road, he found her sitting on the front steps. Without a word, Shane sat beside her. In her hands, she held Clara’s music box. Her fingers traced the lines etched carefully in the wood, wet spots marking where her tears had been. Jak played with Dusty in the tall grass, chasing the fireflies.

”What can I do?” he asked.

Kate shook her head. “Nothing. There’s nothing you can do.”

But there was. There had to be. He had to change things back. To make things right. His chest ached for her, suffering alone. Shane found her hand. It was cold. He held tightly.

”I wish I could change it,” he muttered.

”Me too.”

lilly_ampleton likes this.