1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Skittles Template Race Mod 3.0.4

Do you want to create your own race mod, but you don't know where to start? This is the mod for you!

1. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

Ohhh, aighty allg

2. Chall64

Chall64 Void-Bound Voyager

Quick question: how does color mapping work? Are there certain colors that I need to place in specific areas of the sprites that will tell the game to color them a certain color?

3. DrPvtSkittles

Yes
    Take a look at https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/skittles-template-goodies.137705/
    I've inc the colours for the human on that first image.
    1stline is the 'bodyColor' , 2nd is all clothing, 3rd is undyColor and 4th is hairColor.

You will find the colour values in your RACENAME.species file in your species folder.

Code:
      "bodyColor" : [
        { "ffe2c5" : "ab8c77", "ffc181" : "86644a", "d39c6c" : "684431", "c7815b" : "40271d" },
    You will see 4 pairs of hex code values, first one is the default pallete, so ffe2c5, then the 2nd (ab8c77) is the colour it will change to.

4. PoisonSprayer

PoisonSprayer Tentacle Wrangler

I've installed the mod, and done the .bat setup, but nothing shows up when i load up the game. am i doing something wrong?

(Keep in mind, i have never done something like this before. I can sprite moderately well, but not code)

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  5. DrPvtSkittles

All g, I can't code either :p. Good news! Starbound modding is pretty straightforward, its just getting into it can be a bit confusing and daunting. Oh and Starbound will not tolerate the odd missing or extra comma, bracket or quotation mark.

Have you got a character extender? You need that for race mods. I like to use https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/kawas-xbawks-mode-character-creator.81/

If that's not the issue then lets take a look at your log, to see if any errors come up. Go to your Starbound folder, then storage. You will see 6 log files, one of these doesn't have a number (the top most one). Open that up using notepad or whatever you want. Ctrl + F and look for the word error.

If you would like me to check your log, paste the contents to pastebin.com and share me the link.

6. PoisonSprayer

https://pastebin.com/hYrWsmnu
    here, everything from the word error down
    i've got a race extender, but the error seems to be something with images.

7. DrPvtSkittles

Hmmm I would try a fresh template (making sure to remove the old one first). If you are still havin troubles I can take a look at it.

8. PoisonSprayer

Do you mean reinstall?
    I can't do that atm, as i am not at home.
    On a side note, something may be due to me not changing the .metadata file, but i still dont know what.

9. PoisonSprayer

I tried reinstalling, but the same error comes up and it doesn't work.

10. DrPvtSkittles

I mean making a file with a fresh template and running the .bat file again.

BUT to make things simple since I can see what name you wanted to use, I've run the .bat on a fresh template and given it the name you wanted. Download below.

Attached Files:

11. PoisonSprayer

so i just put this into the mods folder, right?

Oh yay, it worked!
    thank you so much. All i have to do now is add sprites, right?

12. DrPvtSkittles

Allg. Yes. :) Though you might want to change the names and descriptions of some of the items to reflect what they are.

13. PoisonSprayer

Ok, last thing. I promise.

Could i get another of those, this time with "tiefling"?

Sorry for all the trouble.

14. DrPvtSkittles

Attached Files:

15. PoisonSprayer

do i have to change every row of "body color" for it to work? when i change one line, the skin color still stays the human palette in character creator.

Attached Files:

16. DrPvtSkittles

Do not change the first code. Do you see how ffe2c5, ffc181, d39c6c and c7815b are all repeated in a column? Those are the colour codes that your sprites use. The codes next to each of those are what you need to be changing.

I will expand on this later in the guide (with pictures) when I have more time.

17. DrPvtSkittles

I hope this makes things a little clearer.

colourref.png

18. PoisonSprayer

ohh, i see
    thank you very much!

DrPvtSkittles likes this.
  19. PoisonSprayer

how can i replace the "underwear" tab to something else in the character selector, and make it change something else?

For example, with the Greckan Race mod, they changed it to "crystals" and that changed the look of the crystals on the player's head.

(Maybe the last question, i don't know)

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  20. DrPvtSkittles

Tell me what you want to be able to customize in your race. Hair... etc?