1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Skins...?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Froggiolis, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

I know not much (nothing) is known about character creation yet, but i was wondering if skins (like in minecraft) could work. The devs are probably looking towards more terraria based choose the color of different clothing and such, and add some vanity items in the game, but it would be cool to have even more customization. maybe even an option between the two? For the skins there would have to be an animation for it, but someone could probably create a template that people with any pixel art skill could follow.

2. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

It'd be cool is Starbound supported it, but it'll probably require modifications to the code when it is released, which is illegal..?

3. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

but if the devs included it it wouldnt.

4. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I'm going to assume that the character creation is going to flow in the same vein as the procedural generation of other things, so probably you'd have enough customisation without player created skins. They did say there were over 21000 visual styles for a rocket launcher...

5. pwnload

pwnload Big Damn Hero

If they put 21000 visual styles for a rocket launcher, they are crazy

6. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just answering whether or not skins would work, I'd say yes. Probably just need a picture of a blank skin added in to the folder and have the game use that one if an option were selected.

However, I don't think it would be a good idea for them to include it. I'm assuming you want the ability to alter both the characters skin color and default equipment color and so on, and I can think of a few problems that could arise from that. One of which is that the skins could be made to make a character difficult to see if they were to stand in a place like, in front of a blue sky, or underground in front of a certain type of dirt. And while that wouldn't effect single player, it would probably make multiplayer annoying, and probably make it easy to grief someone without being seen. That's just my opinion though.

Edit:
    I think they did it by having a number of different attachments and barrels and colors and so on. Not all individually drawn, so it isn't too awful crazy IMO.

7. Shotgun Steve

Shotgun Steve Zero Gravity Genie

I want to be able to create a turtle neck sweater.

Not even a giant mechanized Autobots suit, I just want to get my swag on in a very chic turtle neck sweater in all of its retro glory.

8. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

That could get... Sketchy... and dangerous

9. Shotgun Steve

I want my turtle neck sweater at any costs.

AT

ANY

COSTS.

10. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

From what I understood, they said that the RPG had 21000 different combinations, and every component that goes with this number of combinations could be coloured differently. This sounds too me that the colour has no influence on this number, which basically means there is an insane amount of barrels, attachments and so on.

11. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Mhm! So it's entirely possible that things can be pieced together with 1000000000's of combinations.

12. Shotgun Steve

Sounds like if the possibilities apply to shirts as well, I'm getting the greatest damn turtle neck sweater that ever existed.

Pretty stoked now.

13. mramazerful

mramazerful Starship Captain

yes. We can only hope

14. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

do want.

15. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I hope so, cuz I love my avatar so much! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.