1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Single player "stutter" that reminds of network latency...

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Jeffrey Bison, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Jeffrey Bison

Jeffrey Bison Void-Bound Voyager

I have a weird issue that I've never seen before in a single player game.

Every so often, the game will freeze/stutter... but not entirely. It does so in a way that is akin to how some games act when there are network issues.

If you've ever played an FPS where your internet or the game server is having issues and suddenly everyone else starts running in place, but you can still look and shoot and move around, and then suddenly everybody zooms around the map before everything settles back to normal... well, that's what's happening to me, except in single player.

For example, I can be shooting an enemy when suddenly he freezes in place and no longer loses health damage, even though I can still move and shoot. Then after a second or two, he suddenly and instantly takes all the damage I've done to him during that frozen period and moves in fast motion for a second or two as if to "catch up" to where he would've been had he not been frozen.

I've tried everything that's generally mentioned in FPS/performance related posts (64 vs 32 bit, no steam overlay, no mods, using performance enhancing mods, running without steam directly from the folder, running the game with and without administrator privileges, verifying file integrity with steam, etc. etc.) Nothing helps with this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what might be going on?

2. Jeffrey Bison

Jeffrey Bison Void-Bound Voyager

I got the game to work with negligible "stutter" by bypassing steam and using the 64bit version from the game folder, a couple of performance enhancing mods and with admin privileges... but only for a couple of play sessions. Now it's back to how it was before for some reason. So weird.

3. Malicus

Malicus Void-Bound Voyager

I experience this all the time, but I don't know what can be done about it. I'd always just assumed it was part of the weird random problems my computer has with assorted games.

4. Leeroyzen

Leeroyzen Tentacle Wrangler

Try disabling "Multiplayer with steam friends" in option. It works for me for the rubberbanding issues . The Fps still drop here and there like no other tho. The Sprinklers are killing my FPS.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The game uses a combined "server/client" structure. There is technically a server running in the background that you connect to, even though it is single player. It has to be designed like this to allow the seam connect feature, and to avoid having to have a separate "single player" and "multiplayer" game versions like Minecraft used to have before also shifting to this structure as well.

As such, the "server" part of the game can expirience some slowdown for various reasons, such as world generation, or lots of AI to process, which will cause the game to appear to be having network lag.