Sign making at E.A.S.E.L., Allow us to type text into the signs?

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by FurryMIG, Jan 30, 2017.

1. FurryMIG

FurryMIG Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Long story short:
    In Starbound, I'd like to see the ability to type letters and text into the E.A.S.E.L. station. It would DRAMATICALLY streamline making signs for things like, storage labeling [we could also maybe rename chests?], marker signs, and other things that simply require text. Thank you! Also, Mollygos rules!

Short story long:
    I'm one of those foolish packrats who takes everything not nailed down and on fire "Because I might need it later!" You know, the kind of person who wouldn't use a nuclear missile on a giant robot crab on threat that an even BIGGER giant robot crab over the horizon, or who keeps the weapon "Wimpy McLimpnoodle 'Sword' of uselessness" on risk that it might be useful for a new character. As such, I create HUGE, VAST, COMPLEX storage facilities with labeled lockers for every conceivable object, from dirt and grass to metal and ore to tools and weapons to clothing and armor, and each subcategory therein. I did this in Terraria, and I'd like to be able to do this in Starbound, so I don't have to spend entire weekends painstakingly making words signs, pixel by pixel [which makes my arm really sore!] every time my game breaks and I have to do a fresh install and lose everything. Like all the signs I made.

Sure there are mods that let me stick letters on the wall, but then if my friends want to play, THEY have to get the mod too, and overmodding causes my game to break... which means a fresh install like the silly goof I am.

Bird Person, Gasboy, SickSix and 3 others like this.
  2. jje64

jje64 Phantasmal Quasar

I second this, for many of the same reasons.

3. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

Typing would be great, I'm definitely in favor of that.
    Even for people who prefer to stylise text, it has benefits. Modifying preset text is faster!

This would be lovely.

4. Exilyth

Exilyth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Typing would be nice to have.

It would also be great if we could 'stamp' items onto signs to e.g. mark a field with a sign showing seed and produce.

oinkgamer likes this.
  5. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Yes please

6. Wetling

Wetling Void-Bound Voyager

I support this, though I'd much rather see an implementation involving a separate sign object that can be read either through its own interface or by having your character speak the words out loud. The E.A.S.E.L. signs don't have room for that many letters and given that the signs take up several blocks, E.A.S.E.L. isn't a very space-conservative option.

7. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

All my +1 for this idea.

Also, can we have options for bigger and smaller signs?