1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Shrooblord's Stuff

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Shrooblord, May 19, 2013.

1. Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Well, I guess I might as well post this:
    [​IMG]

It was my idea on how the co-op system should look and I spent a fair amount of time constructing it. I put a couple of jokes in there - can you find them all?

I plan to post more stuff at some point in the future.

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

This looks good! I think it'd be a lot easier to parse the info this way. Also, haha 'shrooms, difficulty icon, and devil Lemurian. Not sure if there's anything else.

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Readability: at first I was confused what the things above "lv 1" boxes are; the blue "2"-marker looks a lot like a sheet of paper. You could probably get rid of those markers and instead color the skill icon outlines with the corresponding color (left and right icons would sit in red and blue frames, respectively), but I have to admit that IMO the native co-op interface conveys the same message better (i.e. "where your health and skills are on the screen").

Semantic weight: what purpose do the greyed-out health bars serve, other than to show that co-op allows up to four players? Is this really something so important that the game must always remind you of it? The way you put it the infoblock starts at an arbitrary point in the lower half and extends downwards. When only two players are participating, half of this space is wasted. A less greedy way would be to start the same layout at the very bottom and extend it upwards as more players join.

Scalability: how are you going to manage item icons when each of the players has 15+ of them? I wish I knew the answer to that myself actually, but so far it seems there's no convenient way to show everyone's items all at the same time.

Wasd_wasd and Shrooblord like this.
        • Shrooblord

There's two more. ;)

Good idea!

I like this idea too, but when I made this, I was trying to think as a developer: how can you add a HUD for multiplayer without having to make 3 seperate graphics for when there's 2, 3 or 4 players? I thought this'd work nicely, but especially because this only served the purpose of showing what my idea for a multiplayer HUD was, I wanted to make it very clear how the rest of the HUD would look, had there been four players. Maybe in practice it would work exactly as you described.

Also something I thought about. I was thinking that in multiplayer, all Items could have, say, 8x8 counterparts that represent them. But since I'd already put a good hour's worth of editing into this, I just wanted to do a quick copy-pasta mockup of where the items would be.

Thank you for your feedback!

Wasd_wasd likes this.
          • Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

Has the imp vase always looked like a robot monkey head, or is that one of the things you hid?

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

The Bandit was here

• Shrooblord

I didn't touch it!
                Indeed he was, indeed he was.

Again, I will probably post some artwork later this month/year - I've got exams and holidays creeping up, so don't expect big activity from me anytime soon.

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

So wait, there's a joke left that no-one has found yet? Umm... I can slightly make out the constellation Orion! Or maybe... The Commando is taking damage for no reason? Oh! How about the fact... No wait, none of these ideas I'm having could really be counted as a "joke", could it...

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

OH! How about the fact that the players are 14 seconds in and already have 5 items in total! Wait... Would that work? GAH! I DON'T KNOOOOOOOOOOW!

• Shrooblord

Heehaaha you don't have to break your mind over it! ;)
                      If you really want to know, why not
                      take a good look at Han-D
                      ?

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

O.O

• Shrooblord

[​IMG]

EARTHLINGS, YOUR HAN-D MODEL HAS ARRIVED AND IS FULLY OPERATIONAL. SERVE, PROTECT, DESTROY AT YOUR COMMAND.

This is my latest drawing on DeviantArt; check it out:
                          http://shrooblord.deviantart.com/art/HAN-D-381306699
                          ---

It's a drawing I made of HAN-D, because I love HAN-D and he's amazing. I really enjoyed making this; I hope you'll enjoy seeing it!

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

That looks great! He's adorable and badass at the same time, hee~

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is neat!

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

Awesome! Don't know if you take requests, but could you make a cool drawing of the Wandering Vagrant?

• Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

oh god, that is awesome.

• Shrooblord

Sure, I'll start working on that sometime. ;)

• Fox0427

Fox0427 Big Damn Hero

Thanks! :DD

• Zare

Zare Void-Bound Voyager

I've played co-op with some of my friends a few times and i think the best solution i can think of to display everyone's items is to display them on the pause screen. It could display whoever's items that paused the game.

Fox0427 and okok111 like this.
                                        • needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Possibly, yes. But what if both players want to check their items? One of you pauses, examines the screen, then resumes, the other person pauses, checks their items, resumes?

The idea is good, but it's best to show everything at once.