1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we Worry?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Dynafols, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

actually, i got to talk with tiy on there webchat and when i asked that question he said "well, we would obviously really like to launch the game this summer, and are doing our best toward that, but end of this year is more likely"

2. Liquidified

Liquidified Big Damn Hero

umm Hero makes Starbound videos too...

3. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If the the studios are not working together to build the ultimate title in this genre, which they aren't. Then competition is good, it can encourage each studio to do their best rather than treating it as a cash cow niche. I'm glad to see other studios/indies entering the genre.

4. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

sigh...that is a bit disappointing, ah well.

5. Eric

Eric Existential Complex

Edge of space looks pretty neat, seems to be a bit more action oriented than starbound though, and a little more strait SCIFI, probably gonna get both...

6. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

At this point I'm really just interested in if Prometheus is going to be a letdown.
    Starbound can wait.

7. Eight

Eight Pangalactic Porcupine

It seems that some people aren't very interested in Starbound because they haven't seen enough of the game, so they are assuming it'll be too simmilar to Terraria.

8. MrAngel

MrAngel Space Spelunker

Actualy, I watched some videos of that Edge of space, and... it doesn't seem like a very interesting game.:wut:

9. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

TL;DR.
    But seriously, why? There has to be an elaboration to every single statement that you make, this applies to the 1337 5p34k1ng internet especially.
    As a smart person, i disaprove that message.

10. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

My explanation is that it is my opinion, and that I have no reason to prove why it is my opinion. Obviously if you like him you would disagree with everything I say in regards to him being a douche and therefore there is little reason to explain (and it would just start some petty forum fight).
    Also, there need not be an elaboration on "every single statement that you make" because in the long run that just makes you sound pretentious. If I say I like toast you as an individual should just accept that I like toast and not need further information on why I enjoy it.
    Finally, I am a smart person too and the fact that you disapprove my message for lack of elaboration on the subject makes you in this context seem pretentious in my eyes.

But personally I don't really care, I barely come on these forums any more because there is not a lot for me to do.

11. feldemon

feldemon Subatomic Cosmonaut

edge of space looks good but i'm way more invested in starbound. Also, starbound appears to have a more complete felling to it (as in they are just doing some finishing touches) while EoS looks to just be getting underway.

12. Yvisisa

Yvisisa Orbital Explorer

I think Ken Levine said it best when he explained video games where like oreos. People buy some, eat a bunch and move on looking for something else afterwords. Such could be said to this debate, one company offers you more filling, another offers a better cookie to put the filling in. People will buy both to try them out, since indie games tend to sell for vastly cheaper. Videogames to me are also like cookies. You look at a cookie you know what it is, over time you eat different cookies, and learn to spot your favorite types. The fans buying these games will IMO do just that. Every song sung and story told, and IMO that is just a fact of life.

Kristopher and Zellman like this.
  13. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

This is the best response to this thread I have seen yet. haha! Oreos all around.

14. SomaSam

SomaSam Big Damn Hero

There is really no stopping fanboys from bashing any game. We will just have to live and ignore that little fact.
    And really, the publicity shouldn't matter all that much. I mean hero has been keeping coverage on this game too, just not as much because there is no beta or alpha yet.

15. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

Excellent point. To be frank though, i stated the reason why i disaproved that message by saying that you should state your reasons for not liking something. Granted, i wouldn't say 'oh, why do you like toast?' if you said that you liked toast because that would just be stupid. Liking a Youtuber and liking toast are too completely different ball games. I could say 'Not really a fan of BBQ flavoured chips' and i'd get a miniscule amount of hate for it. If i said 'DarkSydePhil isn't that good of a commentator' and not say anything intellectual to back it, like a list of reasons, then i would get a MASSIVE amounts of hate for it. Even if i explained my reasoning people woudl hate me.

TL;DR: You simply saying that you dislike Hero with no explanation is just asking for a fanboy war. Toast and Youtubers are completely different ballgames. Don't hate or luv anyone without a proper explanation. The whole world judges you on the internet, sort of.

I, as a matter of fact simply aren't going to start a war over Hero, i dislike his videos personally, his voice isn't really that interesting and he isn't funny in the slightest. At least, none of his jokes are funny to me. His fans are also quite a-holish alot of the time. I think someone else mentioned earlier on in the thread the whole incident with Hero's fans and other Terraria videos. Just go to the first page, i'm pretty sure its still there.

I apologise if i sound pretentious.

16. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I think that as there are more actual footage, not just a lighting video and assorted screenshots, then it will get more coverage. Its hard to get people talking and excited about something where the response to 90% of the questions about gameplay are "I don't know" or "I don't know but it will be awesome".

Zellman likes this.
  17. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

I think all people that have played terraria would prefer Starbound more than Edge of space.

18. Sarbinger

Sarbinger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If I'm correct, many of the obnoxious fanboys that ruin a community (in my opinion) Come from -large- youtube audiences, like.... Uhh... Paperwhatever.
    Then the videos attract more of this type, and etc.

Also, all attention is not good attention. :coffee:
    Would you rather have a nice small community (currently around 7000?)
    Or a humongous mean one? (Minecraft forums, bad example but still, look at the amount of people there, is it a good thing?)

To me, the Edge of space thing was unbalanced by the kickstarter, and if they want to grow, they probably shouldn't have let people pledge for in game stuff. They would have made more with small donations over paypal for a beta, I think.

19. Jjusto223

Jjusto223 Title Not Found

I saw the Kickstarter page and read the description, but it just looks like a Terraria knock-off. It sounds EXACTLY the same. I don't think it'll grow as much as SB will.

EDIT: SB has quests as well. This game hasn't mentioned any.

20. Nerd

Nerd Subatomic Cosmonaut

We shouldn't worry. The community is growing at a steady pace and will probably get a lot more fame when it's released. :DD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.