1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we Worry?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Dynafols, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

Hey everyone, its me Dynafols :zzz: , and today I want to talk about the business side of things for Starbound.

I almost have this slight fear that Starbound might become one of those games that don't sell as well as it should be for a few number of factors.

1. The first factor that I've considered is the most obvious, the whole "Terraria" nonsense. As much as we can try, it will be near impossible to get the mass number of people to believe that Starbound is not a "copy" of Terraria. Look at minecraft for example, any game thats block based people tend to bash. (I'm aware that its mainly fanbois that do the bashing, but they are still a large consumer base).

2. Other games are coming out that are being related to space. There is this one game I've recently heard of called "Edge of Space", which is a... "multiplayer, dynamically generated, sandbox exploration survival game....".... yea, I know what you're thinking.

2.5 "Edge of Space" is getting some support and more "publicity" in a way that kind of worries me. First of all Edge of Space is being kick started, that is a way to get your name out there for sure. Another way is that some youtubers such as "Hero" are making videos with game play about it. Hero has been known for making Terraria videos, and thus a number of people here of news from him. Also recently Totalbiscuit has mentioned "Edge of Space" through his twitter. Also Edge of Space is offering early beta access for those who help kick start it.

So basically I'm a bit worried that Starbound won't be getting the attention that it deserves due to competition, prior games, and mainly the media. What do you guys think?

2. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

meh, if there won't be as much players i'll be one of the best :rofl:

ot: it will be famous anyway, and there are always copy nazi's <- i call em that.
    every game has its things which are inspired of other games. and haters gonna hate.
    randomsmiley::yeahhhh:

3. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

Then it's our responsibility as consumers to give the product a good name. Word of mouth is way better than fancy people talking about fancy games, at least on me.

4. Dynafols

Maybe I can make another series aside from Starbound News featuring some community art work, popular suggestions, and other things along those lines.

xboy777 likes this.
  5. Thomas Lambert

Thomas Lambert Void-Bound Voyager

Maybe this game should act in retaliation, I'd be more than willing to do early beta videos and whatever else that would be needed :)

6. Alexblex

Alexblex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Edge of space looks like Starbound. That is not good. It also seems to have better graphics.

7. Thomas Lambert

Thomas Lambert Void-Bound Voyager

Now I'm no fanboy of either side, but it looks worse than terraria xD

Nicolas likes this.
  8. Dispersion

Dispersion Pangalactic Porcupine

Hide yo kids, hide yo wives..

Mark and xboy777 like this.
  9. darkninjx

darkninjx Big Damn Hero

Honestly from the video i saw of that game it looks weird but i will probobaly get both

10. I don't care if either game gets famous or not. As long as I get to play both, I'm good. The more games out there, the more fun I'll be having. If people bash Starbound or Edge of Space for being "rip-offs" [omg terraria is rip-off of super mario!], too bad for them. Haters gonna hate, but I'm playing all the games that I enjoy, regardless of its infamy towards the community.

Choosing sides is too mainstream

11. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

It's not really the size of the fanbase that matters, it's the quality of the game and the loyalty of the fans. I'm sure Chucklefish will provide us a great game to play and it's our responsibility as the fanbase of Starbound to stay loyal. Take a game such as Killing Floor or one of the old Battlefield games, their fanbases aren't very large, but they're loyal and they love the game for what it is. So no, I'm not worried, I don't care what Edge of Space fans or TotalBuscuit think, because it's up to OUR dedication to make the game what it is.

12. Dynafols

People with power opinion's do matter. Someone on TV can say something completely stupid and wrong and I could say something right and justified, but it doesn't matter because the the person's opinion on TV goes out to more people. So a popular person's opinion can have influence over how well something will sell. So it CAN matter what another person thinks.

13. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've watched a Edge of Space's video and I have to say....................................Starbound is 1 million times superior to it.Textures are ugly , effects are crap , enemies have no attack animation , walking animation also sucks.I don't know if it has construction , and Starbound will have a ton of weapons and animals and plants based on biome and planet.

leet it b, werty11109, Mark and 3 others like this.
  14. Dynafols

I think that is a bit harsh. I'm pretty sure that Edge of Space is still in Alpha and is being Kick Started, so what can you really say about a game that isn't even out yet? The ideas of course.

I don't believe its right to criticize something that isn't done yet. We've been loving Starbound so far mainly because of the idea of it and the small things we've seen so far.

xboy777 likes this.
  15. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

We have no reason to worry.

1) If Chucklefish needed money to fund the game they would have asked for it by now, it is seemingly near completion.

2) People are impatient, not everyone has the patience of some individuals on this forum, the game will surely increase in popularity once complete because people wont have to wait.

2.1) When it is complete it will get publicity for the fact that it is complete (for the same reasons stated in point 2). Also if it is released on steam which seems to be the general assumption it will get the same attention as Terraria if not more considering it is better in many ways.

3) Who cares if people think its a copy of Terraria? Those people will buy it because they liked Terraria, any that liked Terraria and don't buy it are just fanboy idiots because who wouldn't buy a better version of something they loved?
    Again, since they will buy it it doesn't matter if they like it or not because they will have purchased it and Chucklefish will recieve money for all their hard work :D
    If after purchase they proceed to bash its name then they will likely be ignored by the rest of the fan base who are having tons of fun on their brand new long awaited game!

Nicolas likes this.
  16. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

Even so, what little I have seen of Edge of Space is as he described, with they way the game is made and its terrain generated it will be one hell of a job to make it beautiful.

x-adam1234-x likes this.
  17. LazerEagle1

My point is, why should we be so concerned about the quantity of the game sold? Granted, the Devs do have to make a living, but it's the satisfaction that we get when we play the game. The Devs at Chucklefish seem really into the game, they care about their product. And while big personalities can spread news around like a wildfire, a game isn't defined by how many fans it has. Just because not many people play a game doesn't mean it isn't good. So, I'm not concerned.

18. CreationErr0r

CreationErr0r Void-Bound Voyager

I don't want to be bashing Edge of Space but Starbound looks tons better.
    People are saying edge of space has better graphics but the reason I LOVE Starbounds graphics are because they are HD 8-bitish and I love that.
    I am here to support Starbound because it is made for us and true fans will back it up! :D
    I've shown tons of friends and they want it real bad! I can tell Starbound will be amazing and if it doesn't become known people are just missing out ;D

19. Rowdy Art

Rowdy Art Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just watched some videos on Edge of Space, and honestly, I think it has too good of graphics for the type of game their trying to make.The textures are to detailed for the blocky game style,as games like Terraria,Minecraft, and Starbound use the pixels in a positive way. If anyone can even understand what I'm trying to say in this, lol.:p

20. LazerEagle1

I agree, if people don't like Starbound or don't know about it, it's their loss, not ours.

creepwolf and CreationErr0r like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.