Shipping Container and mass food storage

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Valkyrie_pl, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Valkyrie_pl

Valkyrie_pl Big Damn Hero

So, I'd like to address two things in this topic.

Shipping Container

There is such an item as a Shipping Container. So far I only found it in an underwater Hylotl city. It is a rather enormous storage prop that holds up to 64 items, and takes up 90 blocks of space (6x15). This is ridiculously inefficient way of storing things. If I recall correctly, all containers had a balance pass way back before release in order to bring them more in line between one another.

In the space that a Shipping Container takes up, I can instead place multiple Metal Crates (2x3, 16 items), Metal Cargo Crates (3x4, 24 items), Basic Metal Lockers (5x5, 48 items), or many others. They will all be vertically stackable, and hold way more stuff. Using just the alternatives mentioned, I can store up to 240, 144 (18 blocks less), and again 144 (15 blocks less) respectively.

Conclusion: Shipping Container should be able to hold MASSIVELY more than it currently can. 128 (twice current capacity) at the very least, possibly twice that - so 256. In order to not overblow the UI with massive inventory windows, tabs similar to player inventory should be introduced. 4x64 in case of a 256 capacity container.

Alternative: Make a smaller container, half the length, and up the storage somewhat from current 64.

Mass food storage

Another issue is that available fridges are, at the end of the day, tiny. Especially for possibly substantial amounts of food players might gather from dedicated farms. We need a much more efficient way of storing those things. And the Shipping Container comes to mind yet again.

After all in the real world there exist containers modified to transport goods that need refrigerating all the way through. Maybe we could get something like that? As a craftable object if anything? Recipe could be 5 times of what the fridge needs and a shipping container in question, so:
    • Shipping Container x1
    • Tungsten Bar x10
    • Cryonic Extract x5
    • Battery x5
    We can slap some Silicon Boards too, if needed.

The new container would be white in appearance and have a cooling unit visible on the side, with whirling fans (or just a non-animated one that looks like an AC unit). The most important part is that it'd hold massive amounts of food in one place, and not look like **** while doing so. Standard fridge is 3x4 and holds 32 items. A container takes up 90 blocks, so fridges taking up that space would hold 240 items. 220 if we use mini fridges on top of regular ones instead of calculating off of regular fridge capacity (mini version takes half space, but holds less than half that regular version can - 12 vs 16). New container should be at least comparable to that.

I would suggest the same as above - 4 tabs of 64. It would be 16 (or 36) more than fridges could accomplish in that space, but the added inconvenience is that you won't fit a damn shipping container everywhere. If not, it could at the very least hold 3 tabs of 64 (192).

Srsly, we need an endgame mass food storage, and a modified Shipping Container with refrigeration seems to fit the bill perfectly. Wouldn't mind some options between that and the fridges though, as my solution is a bit on the warehouse side. Suggested above half-length container re-crafted into a refrigerated one is again an option.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Jappards likes this.
  2. Quinch

Quinch Cosmic Narwhal

Mass food container - name it the walk-in freezer?

3. LaughingAlex

LaughingAlex Ketchup Robot

I think, although I haven't found it on my other characters(only a glitch that I played on the unstable) there are containers which have 48 items, are refrigerated, and are 2x3. It was also possible to create with the pixel printer but I haven't found it on nightly/1.0.