Ship Yard (A choice of ship)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Kelthazan, Feb 2, 2016.

?

Ship Yard to select your ship? Maybe even replace it?!

1. Yay!

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. Nay!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. May(be)! - but not in this exact way...

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

SO I'm not quite sure if this should go here or in Vehicles and Mounts OR really in suggestions at all - it's more of an observation.... an obsuggestion! SO~ recently I spied a screen shot of the Protectorate where it showed a player ship docked on world and the first thing that came to mind was "wow, wouldn't if be cool if we could choose our ship that way!" Like, you keep walking and there's another and another. Naturally racial ships would be locked to races BUT adding a few neutral ships to choose from would be pretty cool, or even modded ships. I was playing FTL which allows you to choose ship and I think layout and I don't see how choice of ship isn't a feature yet (or planned to my knowledge) for Starbound, yet custom ships (mods) are super popular - at least to me anyhoo. So I was thinking, after seeing the screenshot, perchance this will(could) be a thing!

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

There are 2 mods that accomplish this, although not exactly as you imagine it. The original Shipyard, and my redo Shipyard Rebuilt.

You have the shipyard as your shipworld. You can walk between the ships, and can do all your ship stuff from any racial ship. I'll be adding some (open permission) mod ships too, although currently you just have a selection of all vanilla(T9 version) ships. And you can expand the shipyard as you see fit.

Relative to your idea, I have thought about changing it to where you start out with your racial ship, and the others would be behind locked doors where you have to complete missions - or just pay pixels - to unlock. But then I've never looked into making missions.

Also I'd have to install a shield generator(also behind a locked door) into the station to make that viable, and I'm not sure I even want to restrict people in that fashion. Probably I don't, but it would add a goal aka "something to do."