Ship Docking

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Omega X, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Omega X

Omega X Void-Bound Voyager

When you start the game with a new character, when you get to your ship to escape, you can see that your ship is docked outside ready for you to takeoff and end the intro. So i was thinking it would be cool if we have a special block AND/OR wiring that allows us to create a docking area for our ships. It would work in a way where the floor would have to be flat of course, and the "area" is the empty foreground space needed so no blocks will be in the way for the ship to dock depending on its size (tier). Also add a new wiring item that allows you to set the dock its connected to for personal or public use and even name the dock. From within your ship you can fly over a planet that has any dock(s) made and choose a dock to land. For each race's ship, specifically tier 1, add a hatch/door as part of the floor that can only open/close when docked, and only you can open/close the hatch so nobody on that planet can walk in your ship and rob you. As for the animation, we can't have an animation of the ship flying into/out of the dock for obvious reasons, so i was thinking a simple "teleport" effect where the ship spawns in place in the dock without the need of movement.

Zen Master and LtBlujay like this.
  2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

With the way the ships actually work, they're a collection of blocks(some see through) and objects with a image background. This creates the illusion of a ship. So they can't actually move around.

Now I have something similar with the Shipyard Rebuilt mod. And I'm already planning to upgrade the idea with objects that dock(function similarly to doors), but otherwise disappear back into your ship. That's probably as close as you're going to get without a major restructure of how things work now.

There is also a mod out there(workshop only I think) that adds ship objects(decoration only) that you can place on your own built platforms. Essentially that's what you had at the tutorial mission.

3. Pazius

Pazius Pangalactic Porcupine

Devs could make it work by forcibly generating the ship on a planet or space station as if a microdungeon, following a cutscene of the ship's exterior sprite landing there.

The question is, I suppose, why go through the trouble? Current system already works for all intents and purposes.

4. Jmack115

Jmack115 Orbital Explorer

its worth it because it would be so much more cool if your crew could walk around the outpost and restock like medics needing to buy health kits or fuel and with space stations coming up being able to attach to the stations would be really neat and interesting or like boarding pirate ships and such