1. Hey Guest! Our new game Wargroove has released! Check out the forums or wiki for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Modding Help Ship Crew customization

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Knightey, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Knightey

Knightey Intergalactic Tourist

Hello there, I have one little and maybe dumb question:
    Is there a way to re-customize ship crew without breaking the .player file?
    I didn't find any already existing mods with such function, and my own programming skills seem to be not enough for this.

I'll be thankful for the answers ':^

2. Zaakari

Zaakari Star Wrangler

3. Knightey

Thank you, but what if I want to change hair or gender? Is it possible?

4. Zaakari

Zaakari Star Wrangler

5. Knightey

Once I have successfully changed the appearance of my character, but when I try to change the gender of some members of my crew, save just *POOF!* and disappears. Every time. After the whole day of fighting with .player file I gave up.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. Zaakari

Zaakari Star Wrangler

Hm. I wonder if that is because there is male and female clothing, and that both gender and clothing need to match.
    I need to get a crew member so I can test this myself...

7. Knightey

Will be waiting until the end of Your research.

8. Zaakari

Zaakari Star Wrangler

Well, I got a crewmember, and tried changing everything related to his gender (portrait, gender and appearance). But something seems to be undoing my changes.
    The portrait changes seemed to stick (the portrait that you see when you view your crew from your ship's S.A.I.L.); I noticed a hairstyle difference. But his "live" appearance remained the same.
    I re-dumped the ".player" file that I had modified, and saw that a bunch of the stuff I had changed was back to their original values. The gender property seemed to retain its changes, but there was no visual difference in the character.

The game never crashed on me, and the crewmember always spawned; but some of the changes we were looking for didn't stick. So either I'm doing something wrong, or something beyond the ".player" file would need to be changed.

I apologize; it looks like I won't be able to solve this one for you.

9. Knightey

Hm...

When you change the gender, do you delete/add "fe-" in lines with the way to head'n'body sprites? Also it seems like sprites of chest armor split on "chestm" and "chestf".

But anyway, thank you for helping me; I appreciate this.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019 at 12:55 PM
  10. Zaakari

Zaakari Star Wrangler

In the crew and shipCrew sections for the crewmember there is a "gender" property under "config/parameters/identity", with a value of either "male" or "female".

But for the "portrait" section, yes, I mostly changed "male" to "female", and "m" to "f", etc. as that was in keeping with the game's assets.

11. Knightey

Hm but maybe you could try to do the same with my files?
    'Cuz I can only break them ;-;
    And you, at least, can make save files work...

12. Zaakari

Zaakari Star Wrangler

I guess I can try, if you want to post them.
    Although I'm not sure why you want just the gender and portrait changed, as it doesn't seem to have much effect on the gameplay. Unless you have a mod that has gender based stuff.

13. Knightey