Shed Page on Wiki

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lavitabella88, Sep 12, 2018.

1. lavitabella88

lavitabella88 Intergalactic Tourist

I had to quickly get this off my chest (first post) then will IMMEDIATLY read the rules. I apologize for not doing so first please go hard on me if needed. Now:

On Shed page of Wiki it states: most optimized indoor size is 67 tiles and the Deluxe barn is 135 tiles and the only reason to use a Shed is money issues... I HIGLY disagree and would say the Deluxe barn is ONLY suitable if you have outdoor tile space issues. Two Sheds (134 indoor tiles compared to 135) is only 30,000g and 600 wood where as the D. Barn, in total, is 42,000g, 1350 wood, AND 650 rocks lol. The D. Barn is 7x4 outdoor foot print compared to Sheds 7x3 (so in my argument 14x6 compared to 7x4 for same useable size and 75% the price and less then half the materials). So again I find it very misleading. I'm not saying remove what's there but maybe add this info (Or similarly more elegant info). I know I can Edit or at least the Wiki acts like anyone (I) can, but I'm sure there are people more suited. If everyone is cool with it then obviously no worries but I feel for the new players that this semi important info/tip could help with layout plans, etc.

Thank You.
    (Now for them rules fingers crossed for this one lol)

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Deluxe barn is 135/28 (interior spaces/exterior spaces), two sheds are 134/42.
      D.Barn space efficiency factor ~4.8.
      Shed space efficiency factor ~3.2
      Maybe that's where you made your mistake... 14x6 is four sheds, not two. Should be 7x6 compared to 7x4 for the same interior space.

One More Day likes this.
      • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

If money is your main goal for your farm, if you're building for space to store kegs, then looking at kegs per tile is important. The fewer tiles you use for buildings the more tiles you have for growing stuff. Remember, that is where the money starts its journey into your pocket. The space you save with barns will quickly pay off the extra cost, and then repay you many times over.

So, a barn will house 135 kegs in 28 tiles, a shed will house 67 in 21. Twice as many kegs in only 33% more space means that your barns are 50% more efficient at space utilisation. That's a huge difference.

OK, two sheds only costs 36k (including buying the wood, because trees don't regrow fast enough to chop it all), compared to 69.5k incl. materials for one deluxe barn, but that 33.5k difference is pocket change in the long run, not even 15 bottles of ancient fruit wine. To put it another way, if ancient fruit is indeed your thing, it's about 0.7% of that barn's yearly output.

And its not like the affordability of the upfront costs is going to be an issue, because you'll be raking it in either way.

OK, that's the cost savings dealt with, now for the opportunity costs. A single tile of ancient fruit will earn over 20k per year. With a cost difference of only 33.5k, it is a false economy to build sheds even if you only used two of those 14 tiles you saved. To scale it up a bit, if you only have 10 barns/20 sheds of kegs, which isn't really a lot, the difference is 140 tiles, which is almost 3 million a year in potential earnings.

I used ancient fruit numbers because I think that's the one people tend to go for on this kind of farm, but the general principle works just fine for other crops too, it's only the payoff timescale that shifts a bit. If you're doing the high value seasonal crops, eg rhubarb/starfruit/pumpkin, the difference in payoff time is going to be small, because each tile is still worth over 13k per year.