Shed content monitor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bigfootnlc, Jun 23, 2018.

1. bigfootnlc

bigfootnlc Void-Bound Voyager

Greetings:

For those of us that fill sheds with preserve jars, kegs, and/or casks, I'd like to see an indicator on the front of the shed that would show the status of the contents. As an example, a clock-type dial could show if contents need to be emptied/refilled or if they're getting close. This would eliminate the constant need of popping inside the shed to check, when the contents are not ready yet. An optional indicator could be a stop-light style with red, amber, and green lights. Green would indicate all well, amber would indicate they're getting close (maybe tomorrow), and red would indicate they're ready for 'harvest'. This could be a large time saver for those of us that manage multiple sheds.

Thanks!

Omgyellow and Honor Shipping like this.
    • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

The obvious and easy solution is to just leave an indicator machine outside the door of each shed. Fill it last, on the way out, and if that one is finished then all the ones inside will be finished as well. No need to go inside

Or, if they are all full of the same machines doing the same product, say you have finally spammed the field with 1,000 ancient fruit, just fill all machines in all sheds at the same time, then set up a single indicator machine, which can be outside the front door of your farmhouse; fill it last and it'll pop right after the last shed finishes.

• Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

The only problem with using an indicator machine (which I do use) is that time does not flow at the same rate in and outside. The events tend to throw time off so twice a month you have the machines out of sync.

margotbean likes this.
        • One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

The difference on the two nighttime festivals is absolutely negligible, and even for the daytime ones, it's only a maximum of eight hours, if you use the time during the morning of the festival and wait until the last minute to attend. Surely it's not that big a deal to work it out

OTOH, a built-in indicator for a shed would fall over if you had different machines in there, because which machines do you want to track? Or say you have all kegs, but they're doing a mix of wine and pale ale, which take significantly different times to process.

And sheds aren't just for machines, many people usually have a shed full of chests to store whatever. Who needs an indicator for that?

I think it's an unnecessarily complicated solution to a virtually nonexistent problem.

Skinflint likes this.
          • bigfootnlc

While an 'indicator machine' would work, to an extent, it's not a very elegant solution. As far as mixing machines or contents, who does that? If you're going to run multiple contents, process them in separate sheds. Mixing contents just confuses things by trying to keep track of multiples.

Whatever...

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

Something as simple as right-clicking on the shed to "see inside" it might work. I'd love that myself.

UnexpectedParole likes this.
              • bigfootnlc

OOH, that would be good! If you only had one or two sheds. Nice idea!

• bigfootnlc

Alas, it is true. The machines inside the shed proceed more slowly than the 'indicator machine' outside the shed. Even if it is filled last, it can be several 'hours' ahead of what's going on inside... That's just goofy!

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

I don't think CA ever envisioned the lengths we would take this game, filling farms with processing machines and needing to quickly know when they were ready. :poke::poke::poke: