Share your misfortune here.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. V, Feb 27, 2016.

1. StardewPally

StardewPally Big Damn Hero

The worst thing that happened to me was a meteorite crashing into my orchard and taking out one of my fruit trees. The money isn't the problem (seriously, I've got like six million dollars. I can buy anything I want), the problem is the time it takes getting it back to producing gold fruit.

Just today I was playing and another meteorite crashed and I had a little mini heart-attack (b/c they land in the middle of the night and immediately saves the game so you can't reset the day)...luckily it just landed in my grass/hayfield. Phew!

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Oh yeah, I've had a meteor misfortune too. It's been so long ago, I completely forgot!

It was on my first save, spring year 1. The dang thing landed smack-dab in the middle of my crop field, took out a lot of my growing crops. Pretty devastating loss to a newbie, not to mention it took me ages to upgrade my pick to get rid of it.
      I've been paranoid about meteors ever since, getting small mini panic attacks every time they crash down xD They've landed far away from my stuff since that time though, but they still make me anxious.

• ByrdMan7s

ByrdMan7s Seal Broken

Going all the way across the map only to realize I forgot something that I needed. *This has happened more times then I can remember

Phaena, rcooper113, Jaed and 2 others like this.
        • cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

I deleted a mod that added a basement...

... only to realize that my child had been in the basement.

:facepalm:

Phaena, Hitgirl911 and Jaed like this.
          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Ah, the Cask of Amontillado.

Hitgirl911 likes this.
            • Irediel

Irediel Space Penguin Leader

Misfortune just landed on me when the season changed

A ROCK SPAWNED ON MY CHEST :zzz: i shan't elaborate on the items i've lost................

• Locomotion

Locomotion Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah ... I died in the mines on the very first floors and lost my sword... Finished the quest with the axe.

Planted ancient fruit on summer, got my fruits and forgot to put in the seed maker.... Had to farm the mines A LOT to get another seed.

Also I was really expecting to plant a lot of strawberry on spring... Then spring came... Then i remembered that i didn't bought any strawberry seeds on last spring's egg festival. And forgot to buy for the next year also....

I simply CAN'T get a dinosaur egg... used like 150 magnets... Bombed hard the 93th floor of the mines on lucky days.. Hoed every eorm in the last winter... No dinosaur for me.

And just planted 264 of corn when got to fall... Then remembered that i was planning to plant cranberries...

EDIT: OH also by mistake dropped a bomb next to my crops and a chest ... More than once... Now i dont keep bombs on hotbar when i'm not in the mines.

EDIT²: OH² I got my first jewelmakerthingy and quickly put a diamond in it *-*. When i went to pick the diamond i pickaxed it and lost the gem... Twice... Now i walk with a weapon selected on hotbar...

EDIT³: Well... right now ... Year 3, fall, i discovered that i can actually BUY stone... Until now i was bombing the shit out of the mines for stone packs to make stars to farm the skeleton mine.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
                • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Oh man, now I'm scared I'll lose my outdoor chest one day o_O
                  That is literally the most important chest I own, it contains everything I need for farming, it would be devastating to lose that *Paranoid*

But I have it right next to my mailbox and I don't think debris spawn there, so I should be fine.

• StardewPally

StardewPally Big Damn Hero

Another bad thing that happened to me was when I found an artifact that I needed for my collection and then continued along my day, but at some point something bad happened that made me have to restart the day (I don't remember what it was, but the only times I really restart a day is when I fail to do all my planting in time on the first of the month, or I die in the mines and lose something important) except that when I redid the day I forgot to dig up that artifact again. To this day I still haven't found it a second time... :(

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

This always baffles me. Between lightning strikes, the rare meteor, and the random crop of stones that well up from the ground at the start of every season, you have /got/ to keep anything you don't want to lose /indoors/. If you have a coop, or a barn, use it. Your animals will be fine with a few kegs up next to the wall. The cave, if it's set up for mushrooms, has a lot of empty space you can still store chests and other equipment in. The edges of the greenhouse are wide open. If you /have/ to stick something outside, put flooring under it to reduce the odds of stones or tree branches or weeds spawning. Anything outdoors is at risk, so, be careful!

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

*Paranoia increases* o.o

I have it outside for convenience. It's just right there next to the mailbox so it's easy to start on anything farming related. But I might just have to put it inside right next to the front door now. I'm seriously paranoid about losing it now xD

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I keep a lot of things outside but I'm pretty sure they're all sitting on some kind of flooring. I've never had any issues with debris spawning into my machines/chests, though they do sometimes replace a floor tile. Which I then have to fix because it'll drive me crazy until I do. >.<

Phaena and Lilliput like this.
                          • RichieJS

RichieJS Poptop Tamer

jewelmakerthingie ? Anyone know more ? Can you make Gifts with it or use it to convert gems ? And where do they drop ? Your misfortune has aided someone else in learning a new aspect of the game Locomotion.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

It's a crystalarium. It clones gems, not including the prismatic shard though.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Heh, I wasn't trying to scare you... much. :p If you consider how many tiles of space your farm is, versus the tiny chance of a lightning strike or a new rock forming on exactly the right tile you happen to have a chest on, it's always a pretty low risk of losing something. But! It can happen and has to many people, and the more things you have outside the worse your risk. A little caution can save you grief.

(Besides, I hate to keep my farm untidy. Even before I kept any ducks I had a coop for my kegs and other equipment. I can't wait for the new workshops and storage sheds in 1.1.)

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                                • RichieJS

RichieJS Poptop Tamer

Ahh thanks gotcha !!!! Thought for a moment you could turn gems into actual jewelry items for gifts ... :giggle:

Hitgirl911 likes this.
                                  • Locomotion

Locomotion Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry for that, i forgot the name :p

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Okay so...I got to thinking about you guys' discussion about machines and stuff being placed outside, and I realized...a lot of objects can actually be placed elsewhere on the map, so long as NPC's don't walk there. This makes it possible to utilize some of the areas off the farm for storage and production areas, keeping your farm space free for other things and avoiding the issue of having to place barns/coops down to house them.

On that note, I have been thinking lately about moving some of my furnaces to the mines, so I did a bit of rearranging today and came up with this setup. Everything that has to do with mining - stone, ores, bars, etc. - is all kept here, where it can be processed as soon as you come up out of the mines. No more carrying it home and sorting it, just drop it off here and return to it at your convenience to smelt the stuff you find. I'm also keeping my crystalariums in the dwarf's little shop area, since the space was empty anyway. (Probably ironic considering he's a bit of a thief. lol) I also keep a spare chest to drop my tools off before I go into the mines, basically everything but the pickaxe and sword (you could take the hoe with you too but I'm done digging since I found the last artifact). You could keep mining food and medicine in it as well. Organization and convenience, all in one. :D

Just thought I'd share, feel free to copy if you want. :3

Attached Files:

Phaena, rcooper113 and Arthemise like this.
                                      • Arthemise

Arthemise Tentacle Wrangler

Oh my! A chest by the mine entrance, at the very least, would be helpful when I run out of space! Such a great idea! No one walks through there, so it should be safe.

Oh, and I could put a warp home totem in there just in case I lose track of time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
                                        • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I have a chest near the elevator in the mines for when my inventory is full and just to store all the weapons, rings and boots I find down there. I hoard them and then bulk sell them in the adventurer's guild later when the chest is getting a bit too full :p

Other than that I prefer all my storage and processing kept on my farm. It's definitely neat you can place stuff pretty much anywhere on the map though, I've seen a youtuber set up a recycling area on the beach :D

rcooper113 likes this.