shane's room

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dreamcast, Aug 12, 2018.

1. dreamcast

dreamcast Yeah, You!

i understand there are a number of mods to change/improve/clean up/etc. his room... but shane's room (the one added to your home after marrying him) can't help but make me feel disappointed and sad?

the progression and heart events with him show him wanting to improve both his mental health and addiction struggles so why is his room a total mess? it's even messier than his room at marnie's ranch with the food, beer cans, and muddy foot prints all around.

he is my favorite character and even despite that it just seems like a total disrespect to his character progression. :/

what are your guys' thoughts?

• thedorito

thedorito Lucky Number 13

Shane is one of my favourite characters as well and to be honest, it really is kind of disappointing to see his room just as messy/messier after he moves in with you.
      With all the character progression he's been through, I would have thought his room would be less messy, so I'm on the same boat as you.
      It is somewhat disrespectful to him and it really doesn't suit his newer mindset of improving his life.
      But, He's made a lot of progress towards being a more positive person and maybe he just needs more time to improve at his own pace especially after what he's been through and moving in with you as well. I guess it just seems a lot more realistic.

Saraneth, dreamcast and Auntie_Ghrym like this.
      • StarFruitBubbly

StarFruitBubbly Poptop Tamer

Ya know, Shane and I had a great few years together and it has been incredible to see how far he's come, but I wish he had more ambition. Do other spouses help out around the farm more? Because he doesn't do a whole lot. Anyway, I'm divorcing him the old fashioned way (no wizardry involved) and pursuing Elliot. Wish me luck!

• Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

Granted that even though he cleans up his act as you progress through his friendship, he still hits up the bar nearly every night and some of his preferred gifts contain alcohol.
          Weaning off of an addiction is one thing, but he never quits entirely.
          I did the 10heart events with everyone in town before deciding on a spouse and, even though I feel for his struggles, I accepted that I am an enabler. I still went to JoJa mart twice a week to give him booze while he was working. Pam, too. Screw you and your corporate rules, JoJa!

• Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

The messy room bothers me too, and I insist on using a mod to "clean" it.

If you pay attention to his dialog at the 8-heart event and during marriage, you'll know that he's still battling depression, even as his overall behavior is better than before. It's a common misconception that clinical depression is cured overnight or even within a few months, and I really admire that Stardew Valley doesn't fall into that myth. (Also, marriage doesn't "cure" depression either, fyi.)

Shane is my husband on my main, and I consider it part of my marital duties to check in on him and make sure he knows he's loved even when he's suffering lethargy. I haven't noticed any significantly less work from him on the farm than on my other saves...

gummywyrms likes this.
            • UmutSongur

UmutSongur Space Spelunker

I think Shane needs a special heart event. Like, if you manage to marry with him and get him to 13 hearts maybe with some heart event he'll get completely fixed up. A tidy person with a good personality and not an alcoholic. These kinds of story changing heart events are really needed in this game. Maybe you can even get to marry Marnie and Lewis ? Or like I said, turn Shane into a good normal person ? Or maybe fix Sebastian's attitude to people too ? That'd be cool.