Story Shadows from the Abyss

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Zebe, Jan 4, 2014.

?

Whaddya want?

1. MORE, YES, OH YESS

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. I'd enjoy reading more of this. :)

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Nothin', just passin' by...

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. More of this? Not interested.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lemonade, with lemon. Shaken, not stirred.

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Life... School... Everything else but this fanfic....
    Soon I will be free. Then you will get... NOT 1, BUT 2 CHAPTERS AT ONCE!!!

Also, the lemonade option was joke, but it has taken over. Destroy the poll now. With lemons.

artbot345 likes this.
  2. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I said 2 chapters at the same time, but that's not the case exactly. Chapter 11 will be up tomorrow or Monday. It's been pretty hard to chop the story in decent sized chapters. Due to the difficulties, this chapter is actually the longest one now.
    - - -

Shadows from The Abyss

Chapter 10

[REDACTED]

- - -

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  3. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Awesomeness, I loved the inclusion of myself, I think you did a great job on it :D

macodelo and Zebe like this.
  4. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Interesting story.

Zebe likes this.
  5. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Interesting....
    But you do notice that you have chapter 6 twice, right?

Zebe likes this.
  6. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

:facepalm:
    Thanks for pointing out.
    EDIT: Fixed the numbers.

7. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Sorry this took so long! Now this is the longest chapter! Geez, dewds, I cant staph wrytin'!
    Woah.

- - -

Shadows from The Abyss

Chapter 11

[REDACTED]

- - -

Wait, wait, wait... What do you mean by interesting? ;)

8. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

By interesting we mean that a large bananasqueeb would be considered ordinary compared to this.

9. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I could ask what a large bananasqueeb is, but rather I just say it's a very interesting opinion. :proper:

10. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I feel crazy today. Not that it would be abnormal feeling, nor a bad one. This chapter may have something to do with it, though.

I was supposed to post this earlier this week, but then I caught a wild flu. So, this chapter, entirely, is written in fever. I've recovered since, only thing left is an annoying cough. Running through backstories with excuses, a lot of random stuff, abusing certain fruit products; tell me if this chapter is hard to read. I decided to post it without agonizing with the craziness too much.

I've taken the story to Fanfiction, too! Here's a link, if you enjoy reading black on white, and not other way around! I must warn, I just copypasted it there, so it may not look beautiful. I don't think it looks any more beautiful here, but idk. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10385286/1/Shadows-from-the-Abyss

Also, it's summer vacation for me now! :mwahaha: Lot of free time from now on, so I can write much more. I don't think this story lasts too long though, tell me if you would like another story!

- - -

Shadows from The Abyss

Chapter 12

[REDACTED]

- - -

That's how I write when I'm sick. Hope you enjoyed my hallucinations.

macodelo likes this.
  11. MysticMalevolence

The hallucinations were interesting. Pretty much the first time you've moved away from the main character.

Zebe likes this.
  12. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

macodelo likes this.
  13. MysticMalevolence

Perhaps the ship's damages, if it had any, prevented it from going full speed?

Zebe likes this.
  14. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Shorter one this time. I've been writing tho. Next weekend is gonna be special. Or, you know, interesting. :mwahaha:

- - -

Shadows from The Abyss

Chapter 13

[REDACTED]

- - -

macodelo, artbot345 and Owl_Stalker like this.
  15. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

You do realize... pirates don't have souls.
    Pirates have no feeling.
    So pirates can't think. Neither can I.
    I type this as I prepare to flay someone.

Zebe and MysticMalevolence like this.
  16. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have to apologize for not giving any input for the past all chapters. I do not know correct grammatical English, but here is some change when I say that some spelling and syntax may just need to be tweaked. Otherwise, the pace and the character development flows well, yet to the point, and yes even remorseful and philosophical. You have different minds in one ship, and although arguments arise, all arguments have great meaning to them because each character is unique and even relatable. I just have to know where you get your influences? Perhaps it is best not to reveal them, because this story is unique and also familiar with Starbound storytelling and even forum member related--makes me wish that my character gets involved too.

Now if you get a certain someone to draw your characters it would be nice.

Zebe likes this.
  17. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free
    You are a pirate!
    Yar har fiddle di dee
    Being a pirate is alright with me
    Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free
    You are a pirate!

Thanks for feedback! I appreciate that a lot. Gives me more things to

I'm not perfect in English grammar either; sometimes I can't just find the right words to express what I mean. I use Google translate and dictionaries often, but some expressions and idioms simply don't translate in the way I'd want them to. If you see some parts where the meaning is completely out of place, just point it out. I always try to get better in writing stories and whatnot.

Thanks for the character development review. Do the long monologues seem awkward? It's nice to hear the story flows well, too.
    I can't really name my influences well. I read, watch and listen so much books, movies, music and other entertainment I just can't know which all influence me while writing this story. Of course I could name few, but as you said, better leave it be.

Hawk did get himself to appear briefly, but I'm afraid it's now too late to have any other appearances here. However, I have thought of starting another Starbound fanfic after this. It's summer and education won't bother me anymore, so I believe I could continue posting stories here. It would have a different setting and style, something more Starbound-y than this. I'm not sure yet though, but if I do that, I'm open to suggestions!

Also, drawings? I've been thinking that too, but I feel it isn't relevant. Although it's sometimes better to have an image than just use your imagination.
    Do you have a certain someone in your mind? I'm not a terrible artist myself, but not very great in other styles than cartoony.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    macodelo and Owl_Stalker like this.
  18. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

[REDACTED]

macodelo and Owl_Stalker like this.
  19. MysticMalevolence

The monologues make it more realistic. Being stuck on a ship with nowhere to go has that effect on people.
    Also, creepy ending to the last one.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Zebe likes this.
  20. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah you are right, best leave the details between the lines. But the translations? IT sounds like English is not your first language, and yet your translations doesn't seem to be all that bad. Your grammatical mistakes just seem normal to any English speaker on their rough drafts, and the monologue don't seem that awkward. Me being an English speaker myself I believe my fanfic has more awkward word choices and monologues so far, and I am trying to fix that.

The artist I have in mined makes that cool Starbound webcomic, but I always fail to recall his name. Otherwise, the style of the story seems best to look like a Mass Effect game. LOL.

Yeah my character is in another planet far from Earth, so it would be very weird indeed to find him somehow on Earth being invaded by perverted tentacles. Plus, he probably would derail the tone of the story being that he is sadly in a dark place right now. IF you want could you give me some pointers or critique my fanfic entries whenever you have time? They are a series of relatively short entries so you can just critique them one at a time, or even edit, as to not take you away from your own story. I have been trying to get some professional advice being that this is my first time making a fanfic. Plus I an not a good writer to begin with, but I try my best. Here is a link to the thread:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/first-flight-to-the-beta-sector.79611/

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Zebe likes this.