1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Shaadarisuggestions: 1.0 Feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shaadaris, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I would put this in suggestions, but this is really more general feedback in the form of suggestions because that's just sort of how I jot down notes. You can probably figure out what I'm implying about the mechanic by how I suggest it be changed.
    Maybe I'm just making an excuse for not putting this in the Suggestions area because that area seems kind of overactive and nobody would see this. Who knows. I'll leave it up to the mods whether this is legit feedback or whether it has to be in the suggestions section (please no)

Welcome to Shaadarisuggestions, wherein I nitpick things I think could be done better, and explain how I think they could be done better, all in one! I will likely be updating this semi-frequently with new thoughts as I go through my first 1.0 playthough.

(I won't mention... Or rather, I won't tear apart the hotbar, because half the forum probably already knows my opinion on that particular issue... Instead I'll suggest ways to make the current hotbar more bearable (or should I say barable?))

So, let's begin with the possible improvements:

HOTBAR:
    -Make it so if I have 1 selected and I press 1 again, it will act as though I pressed the key to empty hands.

-Between the sixth and first slot, allow scrolling to the empty hands slot.

-Re-add numbers to the slots.

-Allow quick-switching of items. While hovering over an item, press 1-6 or SHIFT+1-6 to swap it with whatever's currently in the left (or shift for right) numbered slot of the currently active hotbar.

-Remove one of the bars and make it one bar of twelve slots instead. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,-,+. Please stop trying to be unique with the hotbar. It isn't working.

CREW MEMBERS:
    -Allow customization of uniform per job. Engineers have jumpsuits, Officers (or whatever the fighting-focused ones are called) have military uniforms, etc. Also allow customization of job colors. Want green Engineers? Sure.

-Allow crew members to keep what they were wearing when they joined your crew. Like, all the armor. If I have an outlaw in a diving suit and he joins my crew, she looks like a daft idiot in a protectorate uniform with a diving helmet on her head, not the awesome armored cool person she was before. This will not change unless I make EVERYONE wear a diving suit. Ergo: No.

-Stop their names from popping up above their head every time they teleport to you.

-Make the statuses only appear when you talk to them, not every time their name appears.

-Make them put their weapons away while on your ship or not in combat.

-Give them whatever techs the player has, or at least better manuverability. They fall behind at normal running speed far too easily given the smallest hill or incline.

-Give the SAIL better descriptions of what exactly each job does. Perhaps include a brief description of how they joined you (beat them in battle, saved their friend, idle curiosity, etc.) for roleplaying and a nice little touch.

ITEMS:
    -Make sure the spawn system has adequate amounts of cotton. I've seen about 2 plants on the 2 worlds in my system that look like they could support it (Lush and Forest, the rest are deserts) and accidentally sold the seeds. Oops, now I can't make Tungsten armor and progress (I mean, I know it's technically possible without, but still)

-Make Codexes not auto-open your Codex window on use. Also, if this isn't the case already, please make taking codexes not count as stealing. You're just reading a book - that shouldn't be illegal. (Yes I know you take it too but whatever)

-Give back the ability to craft weapons of any type at first. I can't stress this enough. It's very aggravating wanting to play a Hammer character and not being able to craft a Hammer until multiple tiers later, or any other type of character.

-Make the sort function automatically stack stackable items of the same type.

-Make the sort function automatically put any items on the hotbar at top priority, so they are all grouped on the top of the inventory.

-Add Tech Cards and Manipulator Modules to the Crafting tab like Upgrade Modules and Teleporter Cores.

-Remove Reward Bags. Let us know what we will get from risking our life for this random stranger before we go and do it. It's called negotiation - you don't give me something I want, I'm not going to die to a group of 72 famous bandits you can't remember the story behind.

ENEMIES:
    -Make random enemies more common again. Please. I'm getting sick of Bobfaes and Bulbops and Poptops (oh my).

-Make enemies less common. I've come across about 12 Bulbops cramped in a group on one screen (x3 zoom) multiple times now. You can't go 5 meters without running into a hostile enemy.

-Give humanoid enemies slightly less endurance. They're all ridiculous tanks right now.

MISC:
    -Make long crafting times shorter. This does nothing but pad out the game time badly, and you can't do anything while you wait.

-Work to make the outpost less laggy. It's better than before, but it's still one of the laggiest areas in the game.

-Bring back unique Outpost sidequests... Just make them more interesting. I know there are a few, but it just doesn't seem like enough. I mean radiant sidequests are great and all, but they aren't as versatile or interesting.

-Make all cinematics skippable, including the teleportation cinematic.

-Try to stop NPCs from grouping too close together in huge clumps. It makes talking to a specific one difficult and besides, have they heard of personal space?

-More ship pet interactions. What's the point of a pet if all you do is throw food at it and a ball away from it. What does pet happiness even do asides from make them not emote angrily?

-Give the navigation menu a clock displaying what time it is on the planet selected. Even if it's some arbitrary unit of measurement like 13.90 SAL. (which would be 13.9 of the Sol units that make up that planet's day/night cycle. Stands for Sol At Landing.)

UPDATE 1 [July 24]:

-Make terrain less mountainous. There are huge mountains everywhere.

-Fix crew Engineers randomly following you around on the ship despite not being told to follow you. My engineer keeps following me around the ship. I keep telling him to stay put, but he follows a minute later anyway. And no, it's not to tell me about an improvement he made. He's only done that once. Edit: Twice now. If this is the cause, instead make them tell you when you walk by them. Don't make them go running up to you and then follow you around for 5 minutes before saying anything. It's extremely agrravating.

-Stop player hit sound from playing too often. Getting hit with a shotgun can cause the player to exclaim in pain 5 times at the same time, making it about 5 times as loud as it should be.

-Weapon tooltips should show the damage they do taking into account the bonuses from the armor you have equipped. Currently it's hard to tell how much better a weapon actually is because it's just showing the very similar base damage.

UPDATE 2 [July 24]:

-Can we get a Frame Skip option like what Terraria has? Something that stops framerate issues from slowing actual game speed down by cutting out skipping frames that are taking too long to render or something like that (I'm not actually sure how it works). This would fix the low framerate movement speed issues people are having in the Energy Dash Test and would also be a general improvement for anyone with lag.

-On the same note, how about a VSync option in the menu?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Puce Moose and Another Kevin like this.
  2. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

Not as far as you are but I agree with most except the monster spawn rate thing and the endurance of humanoids don't bother me as much but indeed the random monsters should be a bit more frequent not overwelming but the self made monsters should at least be more rare than the random ones I feel this part of the game was to me the biggest selling point

3. Noir Korrane

Noir Korrane Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree with a lot of these, mostly the crew suggestions.

Personally i like the new hotbar, but i feel im in the minority there.

4. davideschiliro

davideschiliro Space Hobo

I agree with crafting times to be made shorter. What's the point of waiting while doing nothing?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

5. Shaadaris

I've updated the post. Too tired to be figuring out how to categorize the updates while still making it obvious when there are new things, so the updates are currently all shoved together at the bottom.

Edit: Updated again with a few more technical things.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  6. Hawklaser

Hawklaser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wouldn't say that, a good chunk of us with issues with the new hotbar do like some aspects of it, and can see it having potential. It just feels like the change resulted in 1 step forward, and like 7 steps backwards, so it just needs to be brought closer to the functionality of the old bar. But there is a couple of posts already dedicated to the hotbar, such as the poll which shows a pretty even split on the Hotbar.

@Shaadaris Most of these are pretty spot on as candidates for early improvement. And along with a bug i found within minutes of playing and should likely have been found earlier, makes it seem like some of these things got glossed over for the time being. The bug is trying to loot a chest while midair using the take all button will cause the game to Crash to desktop. After all what kinda crazy player would try and loot a chest that is just out of reach normally by attempting to loot it by jumping?

7. Shaadaris

Oh, well that's a new one. Glad to say I haven't encountered that particular bug. Or any crash for that matter. Mostly been smooth sailing so far (minus the sailing. No boat yet... Nor the smooth. Framerate's been a bit choppy at times.)
    Although you've now sparked me again for another idea: more chest functionality. Specifically chest sorting. That'd be nice. Maybe chest naming. I think there are mods for that already though. But still. That one's probably obvious. I wager it'll be coming in an update at some point anyway. I'll wait to add that one when I have a few more things for an update. Need to do more playing first.