1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Setting up an Ubuntu 12.04 server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by DeMossiah, Dec 5, 2013.

1. cpm

cpm Aquatic Astronaut

I tried switch to Ubuntu 10.04, and the problem is still same, I have no choice but switch to win2003. And i'm now downloading the server. I hope it works this time.

2. Clinton

Clinton Zero Gravity Genie

I'm willing to help anyone with Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04 free of charge. Just send me a PM or skype message.

3. Ackis

Ackis Void-Bound Voyager

I followed the original guide and I was able to get the server running with the command:

Code:
    sudo su - steam -c "/home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/linux64/launch_starbound_server.sh"
    However I can't get it to auto-run when the server restarts, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've followed the directions, and re-followed them. I can't even find a log file to tell me what's wrong.

4. RWiggum

RWiggum Space Hobo

I have a problem with the startup script.

How can i give the deamon the right's so have access to the /var/run/???

Since the update(today) my launch_starbound_server.sh has been being gone, so i've chosen "starbound_server" instead of "launch_starbound_server.sh"
    Is this the reason?
    If yes: pls upload the launch_starbound_server.sh for me!

5. thib3113

thib3113 Void-Bound Voyager

hello, i'have follow your tutorial, but when i make
    Code:
    su - steam -c "/home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/linux64/launch_starbound_server.sh"

he say, file not found, and if i go on the folder /home/steam/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/linux64, i don't have any .sh
    i have :
    Code:
      asset_packer    bootstrap.config  starbound_server
      asset_unpacker  starbound

6. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

You no longer use launch_starbound_server.sh, and instead just use starbound_server.
    This is what the start of mine looks like now for example:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:        starbound
    # Required-Start:    networking
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:    2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:        0 1 6
    # Short-Description:    Starbound Server Daemon
    # Description:        Starts/Stops/Restarts the Starbound Server Daemon
    ### END INIT INFO

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
    DESC="Starbound Server Daemon"
    NAME=starbound
    DIR=/home/starbound/server/linux64
    DAEMON=$DIR/starbound_server
    PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
    SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NAME

USER=root
    GROUP=root
    DAEMON_ARGS=""

STEAM_DIR=/home/starbound
    STEAM_DAEMON=$STEAM_DIR/steamcmd.sh

STEAM_USER=anon
    STEAM_PASS=
    STEAM_APP=211820

Note: I do use different directories and run as root. But the rest is applicable.
    Changed the DAEMON to what it is now. Also to get rid of the error messages given when using update-rc I added the Required-Stop: and removed the S from Default-Stop.

7. MisterVertigo

MisterVertigo Void-Bound Voyager

I'm getting stuck here for some reason. I get the following error:

/
    Code:
    /opt/steam/steamcmd.sh: line 29: /opt/steam/linux32/steamcmd: No such file or directory
    I followed all the previous steps, and when I go look in /opt/steam/linux32/ there is a steamcmd script there, so I don't know why it's saying it's not there. I created the steam user and set a password for it, and I did the ownership change.

What am I missing?

8. MisterVertigo

MisterVertigo Void-Bound Voyager

I figured it out from reading on another site. I'm running 64-bit Ubuntu,so I had to do this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    After running that I tried the command again, and now I got the Steam> prompt.

Thanks!

9. invisus

invisus Space Hobo

I'm using this script and am very grateful for this tutorial however, in case someone (like me) uses certain bash unfriendly special characters in their steam passwords, I suggest modifying the following lines:

TO:
    Note: The quotes are what is needed.

As well as FROM:
    TO:
    Note: The single quotes around "$STEAM_PASS"

10. optmusprime

optmusprime Space Spelunker

ok i got this to work just fine however after copping over our old server (ran on my laptop) to the good server the server appears not to load how can i bring up a screen or something to watch the script run or watch the server load to see if there are any errors.

11. NuRRi

NuRRi Starship Captain

Thank you for this great tutorial. Everything is working great on my ubuntu machine. Using Backup and Restart script.

Thx a lot!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  12. kreegah

kreegah Big Damn Hero

Is it possible to modify the /etc/init.d/starbound file to start the server in screen -S starbound ? I'd love to see the server output when i am on the server (local)