1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Setting up a Server with DS-Lite-Tunnel

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mexxes01, Dec 28, 2015.

1. mexxes01

mexxes01 Aquatic Astronaut

Hi everyone,

Is it even possible to set up a Starbound-Server when your ISP gives you only acces to ipv6? As far as i know i can only host a server via Hamachi/Tunngle or something like that, but i disklike this solution.
    Do i have to call my ISP and tell them to get me a real Dual-Stack Connection instead of the DS-Lite one?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Soo... if you go here, it is blank?

Seems odd an ISP would deal only with ipv6.

3. mexxes01

Well no, of course not, because my ISP uses his own NAT/Gateway Server to "translate" my ipv6 packets back into ipv4, so the displayed ipv4 adress is used for many people. So nobody can join my Server using this adress who is outside my home-network. And to get a real Dual-Stack Connection, where i would have a ipv4 and ipv6 Connection, i would have to get a "Business" Connection from my ISP, which would cost like 150€ per Month.

4. lazarus78

That sounds like a shitty ISP. The internet backend literally runs entirely on IPv6. And converting back to IPv4 when you are already using IPv6 is bass-ackwards.

Anyhoo... Unfortunatly Starbound does not accept IPv6 from what I can tell. They toyed with it but never went anywhere.

5. mexxes01

Unfortunatly this is no shitty ISP, in germany every ISP changed its terms and conditions so everyone gets a ipv4 only for additional charge because of the ipv4 adress shortage.
    Well i guess i have to use tunngle than.
    Thank you for your response :)

PS: The ISP is btw one of the few which doesn't limit your daily traffic to like 10 GB, which is unacceptable for everybody using Steam frequently. Don't want to wait a week for a 60 GB Game.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  6. lazarus78

What you describe makes my ISP sound like the best in the world, which is far from the case.

mexxes01 likes this.
  7. mexxes01

Consider yourself lucky to have an old contract or that your ISP has enough ipv4 adresses in stock so that you can have one ;)

8. lazarus78

The "IPv4 shortage" hasn't hit the US. The system was invented in the US, so we got most of the addresses. Hell, our public addresses are supposed to be dynamic, but I've had the same one for years. We have to actually ask for an IPv6 address, which is why I find your situation a bit backwards.

mexxes01 likes this.
  9. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Support has been in for the last few versions. Leave the listen setting to "::" in the config (the default) and you can accept both IPv4 and IPv6 connections. There does seem to be an issue expanding a compacted IPv6 address on the client side though, but that's just a bug that I'm sure will be fixed.

10. lazarus78

There was an issue getting people to connect if you had that in the config. Has that been resolved?

11. Dunto

Dunto Guest

That was resolved a few weeks after it popped up. It was really just a bug with IPv6 handling anyways.

lazarus78 likes this.