Modding Discussion Server Modding

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Daniel Benoy, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Daniel Benoy

Daniel Benoy Void-Bound Voyager

I looked through the server tutorials in the sticky forum posts, and none of them seem to touch on server mods. Can someone tell me:

Exactly what does the server have the power to do? Can I create custom quest chains, custom items, custom items with original art, custom bosses with their own behavior, etc? What are the limits of my modding ability as a server administrator, before I start having to distribute mod files to all my users?

I've seen some really vague answers to this question when searching the forums ('I think maybe it works like that? I guess?'), and I'm hoping to get a straightforward answer from someone who can either give me a reference to the source of the information, or could explain how they learned it (and hopefully some basic information on how I can reproduce their results with my server.)

2. Ceetee

Ceetee Void-Bound Voyager

Currently the server isn't fully made. Its just as much in beta as the rest of the game, and is missing the vast majority of its toolset.

Mods will work on servers, and in fact already do, HOWEVER, it requires the mod to be installed on the server (in the same way you would install it for yourself) as well as the client of every player.

Being a server admin, at the moment, means next to nothing, as there are no tools for kicking or banning yet. There is also no way to create custom content, though I honestly doubt there will be, as that is what the modding is for.

This information is from trial and error of various people on the forums, as well as the Q&A thread Molly did just before beta.

3. necKros

necKros Space Hobo

As of right now, the server is just a way to connect one or more clients to the SP world of the host. That means that every client can have different assets and there will be no problems as long as no new resource files are added (sounds and images). There is currently no way to share crafting recipes, modified tools or planet behaviours, and the server response is pretty much client-dependant. Because of that, you could, for example, mod a new crafting recipe and a new item (or modify an existing one), and the server won't notice anything at all. You could even share that modified item with other players and since item data is actually saved in the inventory tables (which are shared by the server) and not recovered from the assets folders, they would be able to see those changes and take advantage from them.

So, in short, the only things the server can share are (correct me if I'm wrong) level data on already visited planets and inventory objects.

4. Daniel Benoy

Daniel Benoy Void-Bound Voyager

Interesting, so I could craft a modded item, and give it to somebody, complete with a custom picture and description, without having to send them mod files? I just have to toss the item at them, and it will store the info in their inventory?

5. necKros

necKros Space Hobo

Not with a custom picture. If you use custom resources in any object, it will crash any other client trying to render it.

6. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

I really hope they add server side modding pretty soon, as I'm planning on making quite some modifications to a private server I'm running, and I'd like the people on it to use those as easy as I would.