1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Server Error

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by DcSaper22, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turtwig321

Turtwig321 Cosmic Narwhal

IF they did stop supporting XP then Windows 7 would sell out overnight lol

2. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

fun fact: the entire reason i bought windows 7 the first time, is because i couldn't play just cause 2 on XP.

Yeah. it's rough though when you don't have much money. I've been there myself. I don't like to not support people who aren't able to upgrade.
    Especially as wannabe game developer myself. I can sympathize with both sides.

3. Turtwig321

Since we like going off topic and you are obviously very tech savvy too, I was wondering what your opinion of the Windows Vista operating system is?

4. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, getting dangerously off topic, but I'll answer.

Vista wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. but it has some hilariously blatant issues with administration privileges.
    They also changed a large portion of how you troubleshoot/access needed troubleshooting and admin tools, which they changed back (partially) in windows 7 which was stupid.
    their ideas were sort of sound, but the execution was pretty poor on a lot of the features, which they improved massively in windows 7.

most of the same problems i have with it, are the same ones i have with windows 8.

When compared to other windows operating systems, it's bad, but standing alone, it's... ok? i suppose?

5. Turtwig321

Im always that one guy who cheers on Vista. I never had any of the problems with admin stuff or with Vista eating my memory or cpu up. Vista could run all my games hassle free, host servers through my forwarded port, and never EVER BSoDed. Its my desktop pc, I have had it since 2009.

6. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

the problem is they nested a lot of the admin stuff deeper. It's for certain stable, like most windows OS's.
    The main problems i have with it are all design choices. a lot of things are less intuitive, they function, but are much less intuitive, especially when switching from a previous windows environment.
    when you learn it it's ok, but the learning is the problem. windows 7 eliminated the bulk of that.

much like i'm sure windows 8 is fine and all, but a lot of the design choices made, nest things deeper, make things harder to do, in a much worse way than vista ever did.

Vista is fine, but windows 7 is just better, and more what i expect out of microsoft.

7. Turtwig321

Actually, even though you are right about the burying thing with Windows 8, Windows 8(.1) is a very streamlined OS, it may look like it is for tablets, which it is IMO, but it works just as well as Windows 7 did for me. In fact I like Windows 8.1 the most as of right now.

8. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

I haven't gotten to try windows 8.1 just yet, but I've wanted to.
    The most positive thing I've been hearing about windows 8, is that it has such a small performance and size impact, to the point it makes everything run better. Which does sound very appealing.

9. Turtwig321

It's true, not to mention that the boot time is fast on HDD and almost instant on SSD.

10. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

SSD for OS, the best decision I've ever made.

anyways, this is immensely off topic, and as a former forum moderator, I'm starting to feel very guilty.

11. Turtwig321

Did you port forward your server to run dedicated or do you use emulated LAN? (Hamachi, Evolve)

12. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

I port-forward to run dedicated. I don't like making people I play with install additional things.

13. Turtwig321

I'm always the guy with the best pc so my friends make me host, but I can't port forward from college so my friends made me use Evolve. :p

14. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

That's understandable, I don't think i'd ever be able to stand living in a dorm. I prefer to have complete control over my network too much.

anyways again, much too off topic, I think we should let this thread die, if you want to talk further, feel free to PM me.

15. Turtwig321

Alright. If you say so *blindfolds thread against wall* *grabs shotgun*

16. Turtwig321

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.