1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Server Error

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by DcSaper22, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DcSaper22

DcSaper22 Space Hobo

I have a problem with server and i dont know what to do with it
    . czxvaefdzcv.PNG asdasdasdasfdjasfopiaskmf.PNG
    afgasfzdxva.PNG

2. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

try deleting "playercodex.db" in the universe folder, and booting it again. that tends to fix this issue when i get it.

DcSaper22 likes this.
  3. DcSaper22

DcSaper22 Space Hobo

thanks a lot man

4. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

No problem, glad it fixed it.

5. Turtwig321

Turtwig321 Cosmic Narwhal

Weird, I get the same error on occasion but my method still works, you know, the launching of the server with StarBound open.
    I have never deleted "playercodex.db"

6. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

Your method tends to not work for me either. I tried it last time i got the error. tried booting the server while on the menu 10-15 times or so, and it never went through.

also tried loading single player and saving/quitting, then trying again another 10-15 times. still didn't work.

At least both our methods are helping people.

7. Turtwig321

There has to be some connection, maybe it is the OS, most of the people I seem to fix it for are running Windows 7. What is the most common OS of the people who you help fix?

8. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

also windows 7...
    maybe it has to do with the amount of cores their cpu has?
    possibly the higher number of cores, the higher chance it has of having this error on boot?

playercodex.db may just be the problem file. and whenever it tried to read it maybe another core is reading it and causes an access violation?

9. Turtwig321

I have 4 cores.

10. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

see, I have 8, which maybe be why.

11. Turtwig321

Dear god, why so many? What is your cpu speed?

12. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

speed is about 3.6ghz

so many because it helps host servers/stream/record while i play games. It makes it so I get very little, if any, performance hit.

13. Turtwig321

Might as well throw my dxdiagnostic at you:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.131006-1505)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC
    BIOS: F.35
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Display Resolution: 1920x1080
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 740M

I can run this game at a solid 60 fps except when in apex villages. In those it drops to about 10-20 fps. Rain is around 40-50 fps.
    And yes, my server fix works for me.

14. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

So it's a 4 core with 2 logical cores per physical?

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/12/12 15:21:32 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

hobbled together bits of my DXdiag.

also: i run at 1920x1080 windowed for starbound, which is also my display resolution.
    I have so much ram, because I got ram when it was cheap, and I don't like seeing empty ram slots...

I get solid 60 fps down to 56-59 in rain, down to about 30-40 in large dungeons. 20-30 in large apex villages, or the testing chamber apex dungeon.
    though i did find a random planet earlier.. nothing unusual about it, but i just random got down to 10 fps just wandering about. it was a small one. didn't write down the coords, should have. it was odd.

I think your fix has worked once for me, after a good while of trying. mine has done it every time for me, so playercodex.db is without a doubt the problem file.

15. Turtwig321

Was removin the playercodex a permanent fix? No more errors?

16. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

Not permenant. it seems to happen after playercodex.db gets above 10kb in size or so.. which happens when people on your server add codex entries into their character.
    though when it stays below that size, there aren't any crashes at all. It's strange.

17. Turtwig321

The only glaring difference between my pc and your is Windows 7 - Windows 8.1 and AMD - Intel. Hmmmm.

18. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

I dunno. maybe my cpu speed is also a factor.

I honestly think the issue could be it trying to read the playercodex.db, then it switches to a new thread while it's still being read, because it hits some kind of memory threshold.
    *shrug* this is a strange issue. It's been irritating bartwe, as he mentioned on his twitter.

19. Turtwig321

They are rushing a patch out for WIndows XP on Monday also according to him, but to be honest I don't think they should support XP. It will be discontinued in like 3 months.

EDIT: My bad, "Support Ends April 8th, 2014"

20. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

XP is still a good system. I think it's worth at least fixing it for them.
    That patch also has a lot of things in it. XP fixes are just part of it. it also has the massive balance overhaul, and "baby" creatures.
    They already have a lot of the XP stuff fixed and awaiting the patch, i think Bartwe is working on other stuff now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.