1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Server Configuration

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Bandus, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

Managed to get a server up and running pretty quickly. Clients able to connect. Excellent stuff.

But, I just wanted to confirm that with this first release there is no real ability to configure server settings yet as far as password protecting it, etc. Is this the case? If not, where and how can that be done?

2. DreamzorRedux

DreamzorRedux Space Spelunker

And would you be kind enough totell us how you did it?

3. Sinvoid

Sinvoid Phantasmal Quasar

Since you were able to get the server running can you please show me what your server DOS prompt looks like when it's done? I cannot tell if mine is working properly.

4. Komisho

Komisho Void-Bound Voyager

Could you possibly tell us how you managed to get the server working?

5. Gilfeather

Gilfeather Orbital Explorer

OUT WITH IT MAN/WOMAN HOW DID YOU STOP IT FROM SHUTTING DONW D:

MissyMunckin likes this.
  6. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

Sorry folks. I did not realize there was a widespread problem until I came back to check this thread again. I honestly did not do anything particularly special. I just launched it using the prompt on the launcher. I noticed shut down messages but I was still able to connect.

Edit 1: I did have to port forward port 21025 to my server IP on my router, but that is pretty standard.

One thing I did notice was that in the universe_server.config file in steamapps\common\starbound\assets there is line 12 which states "worldInactiveShutdown" and has a value. I didn't tweak mine at all, but it seems to shut it down if no one is on the server for awhile.

Edit 2: This is purely speculation, but often times on CONFIG files, setting values to "0" will disable them. Perhaps that is what this value needs to be set to?

7. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Space Spelunker

What are your clients entering as the IP to join? Everything I've tried with a friend has resulted in unable to join errors.

8. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

Multiple clients have been able to join by entering the public IP address of the server. No port specification was necessary. I did not see a place to set a password for the server, so the password field was left blank on the client.

9. Sinvoid

Sinvoid Phantasmal Quasar

Turns out Bandus is right. The server exe works i'm able to connect to it. There's just not much feedback regarding server success and availability.

10. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

@Bandus you could do something like password protection using IPTABLES to only allow connections to 21025 from certain IPs.

11. ZDanger

ZDanger Space Hobo

I figured out how to password protect the server. You have to modify the starbound.config in the root of the Starbound folder in Steamapps\common. It's standard JSON code. My starbound.config had this by default:
    Code:
    { "maximizedResolution" : [ 1600, 837 ]}
    I found some more settings inside the config files in the assets folder. I appended my starbound.config so it looked like this
    Code:
    {  "maximizedResolution" : [ 1600, 837 ], "serverPasswords" : ["password"]}
    You can separate each password with a comma and a space then place it in quotes to have multiple passwords. It would look like this:
    Code:
    "serverPasswords" : ["password", "herp", "derp"]}
    Why you'd want that, I don't know.

darkinnit likes this.
  12. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Void-Bound Voyager

How do we do this for the linux dedicated servers?

13. darkinnit

darkinnit Aquatic Astronaut

I'd imagine you want multiple passwords in the case where you might want to revoke access to someone without having to change the password for everyone else. (i.e. you give person "a" the password "herp" and person "b" the password "derp". You want to ban person "a", so you remove "herp" from the list, but person "b" can still connect using "derp".)

If/when there's a real account system with white-lists/black-lists this might not be needed anymore.

14. ZDanger

ZDanger Space Hobo

Do you not have a starbound.config? When you load the server it should say what config file it's referencing. I don't have my Linux server running at the moment so I can't tell you where it's located.

15. ZDanger

ZDanger Space Hobo

Ahh, true. An actual account system would be the way to go for sure.

16. Vaupell

Vaupell Poptop Tamer

Was able to get the server running aswell right out of the box, and have both my own client and 3 other external clients connecting fine.

Just need to be able to setup pw etc..

17. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

That's really odd. In my steamapps\common\starbound folder there is no starbound.config file at all. Only a "starbound_server.log" Are you confident of its location?

18. darkinnit

For me, the "starbound.config" file is in steamapps/common/Starbound/linux64/

Try looking in the win32 folder if you're on Windows (or linux32 if you're running 32-bit linux)

19. ZDanger

ZDanger Space Hobo

Look at the beginning of the console when you start the server. It'll say where it's looking for the config file. Mine said "..\starbound.config".

[​IMG]

20. darkinnit

Ahh maybe mine went into the linux64 folder because that was my working directory when I started the server.