Modding Help SERIOUS mod Problems.. (Noob)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by NeoslayerX, Aug 5, 2016.

1. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

If you are a bit behind, read my previous post in this spoiler:
    Right now steam is screwed up, I uninstalled steam but still have the downloaded version. I won't re-install steam, steam is a pain for me. Dota2 no longer works either for me, just leave steam alone.

Hi. As three or four of you may know, I have just started playing this game and joined these forums..
    The thing is, I think I have a bit of a problem.. I downloaded some sent mods, they seemed really cool. (Fracken, anime eyes, dungeons everywhere, etc.) They all seem up-to-date. I thought the latest version is the Glad Giraffe, which I have. (I noticed when loading the game in the bottom right in red text it says something about 2015, but it is 2016 now, so what's with that)
    I unzipped each file.. Example:
    I unzip a mod for hairy legs (example)
    I get a folder
    There are no steam directories to this game, don't know why. Where "Starbound" Should be, there is nothing. Instead I did "open file location" and Starbound was on my desktop instead... Whatever.. I go in the giraffe_storage, then mods, then put the folder in there.. I do the same with all my other mods.. Open the game..
    Nothing happens. I look my character's eyes to see if they have changed.. Neofro.. His eyes are as black and beady as ever.. Manly Mary.. Her eyes are still black and gazing pixels.. Nothing has changed, nothing changed and there is no proof that it worked. When I had access to Internet again I looked at my responses and downloaded a mod loader.. I tried to go in the Steam(x86) stuff, and so on, and tried to make a new "Starbound" folder.. I had to move all the content there.. Just in case, I deleted my Starbound (32 bit launcher) shortcut and put a shortcut to the new folder location, and replaced the launcher shortcut. I don't know if any of the launchers matter. (OPENGL , 62 bit, etc.) but I'd like to know which one is best for performance. I don't know anything about assets, so maybe I need to install mods with that? Am I out of date and installing mods the wrong way? The mods just don't appear when I clearly put the folder in the "mods" and threw the *mod name*.PAK files in the mods folder and the mod folders in.. When I downloaded that mod loader, that is how I figured out there was no directory to starbound.. That's the only reason I found out its missing from there. Now that it's there, I need a solution. It still won't appear. Tell me what I did wrong.

I tried putting the mods in EVERY folder you see here, AND the "Starbound Root Directory. I tried Modloaders, bootstrap, (requires steam but I uninstalled, remember) I wont reinstall I love and hate steam long story.."Starbound Modloader"
    It just gets stuck at the green 100%. I also tried starloader, and it sayd. "
    The 'mods' directory does not exist
    Create it? (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods)"

But that directory does exist! That comes up every time:sparta::sparta::sparta:
    Click "Start Launcher" nothing happens
    It tells me to turn all my apps into ZIP (So I did)
    Every time I try to add a new ZIP mod I get some crazy arse error for each one!
    I'm about to give up! This isn't right! (Glad Giraffe)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Picture 1: My shortcuts
    Picture 2: from left to right — The "assets crap that I don't understand"
    Picture 3: All my failed attempts of putting modloaders in my Starbound directory
    Picture 4: I tried putting my mods in user — the thing is, it ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING when I put something in there.
    The thing is, it crashes, saying something about "Failed to load 'this' or 'that'" or "Repeat monster" or "repeat *input name here*"
    picture 5: I just dropped a PAK file in the "user" note that I tried that in every branch/directory
    Picture 6: One of the :sparta:cking Modloaders — all of which DON'T WORK

I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW. IT'S LIKE I'M NOT MEANT TO PLAY MODS

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

The current game version is 1.0.5, which is also known as Cheerful Giraffe. You need to update your game version.

4. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Really?! I thought Glad Giraffe was the latest!
    Well I'll be :wot:mned!

5. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

One more thing before I install it — What is this "assets" things and the mod thing about it?
    Mod installing was more difficult in the past, but a recent update facilitated that? If so, which update and what did it change?

6. Alocer

Alocer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The 'assets' are just the game files, such as the pictures, objects, and scripts that you include with your mod.

Edit:
    The relevant dictionary definiton being:
    • property owned by a person or company, regarded as having value and available to meet debts, commitments, or legacies.
    so in this case, property owned by the game/author.

7. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Do you need to do all this crazy unpacking stuff? I have PAK files and I also see "PACKED.???" in the folder..
    Do i need to figure out how to mix them or something?

Downloading cheerful giraffe now — maybe, just MAYBE — I can try once it is installed..

8. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Oops — Duplicated

9. Alocer

Alocer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you just want to play with the mods you don't need to unpack them, just place the *.pak files directly in the 'mods' directory wherever Starbound is installed. The quickest way to find where a Steam game is installed is to right click on the game and in the popup menu choose "Properties" at the bottom. If doing this for Starbound, a window will appear with the title 'Starbound - Properties'. Along the top you'll see a bunch of tabs, click on 'Local Files'. Under that tab, the first button you see should be 'Browse Local Files...', and when you click on that it opens the Starbound folder where the 'mods' directory is located.

As for mixing them, you only have to worry about that if multiple mods have conflicts by altering the same files. I would start by just installing all the mods you want to use and see if they work, then worry about conflicts if they occur.

10. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Please delete this ancient thread! This thread gives me the nostalgia feelz but it must be deleted from existance!
    I don't understand how I had so much trouble with this, I reinstalled the game today and had no trouble :p