1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Sequel To Starbound (for devs)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Scorchcast, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Scorchcast

Scorchcast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please make it. I will throw my money directly at your face. Just make it. There's a lot to do in Starbound, but I want a new story. xD I promise you, I will throw my money at your face. lol Pleeease. Even if not now then maybe future but please. xD A request from a fan who didn't know he was a fan until he playd Starbound, just please! Lol

2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

The thing is... Starbound is a sandbox game. While Terraria 2's gonna be a thing, and I'm sure in Starbound's case there are things to do, I do think that if there is a sequel or spin off, then it will probably have a change in gamestyle, and one can imagine it may focus on Starbound's lore, on its important figures, perhaps a spin off about an apex soldier fighting against Miniknog, or such.

What matters is that Starbound is pretty much like Minecraft, in the sense that it can be considered as a blank platform for many a thing

So if Starbound was to get a sequel, or at least a game related to it, I'd see it as primarly story-focused, whereas Starbound story sort of lies within the background of the game, as the main focus remains exploration and building.

3. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I think it would be great if Starbound add a new story or lore in its every major update. So, it's like a new chapter or episode in a movie series.

4. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Pretty sure Starbound doesn't even have enough content to have a sequel...

5. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

With its actual content, maybe not
    But that's why I was talking about it's lore
    Perhaps we could imagine that they'd integrate stuf flike FU or other mods

6. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

Right...F.U... 'coz extra dungeons are prolly the only thing I liked about that one and definitely not the long-arse loading + the long arse start, and lag LAG LAG LAG LAG!!! and the different epps needed for every other type of planet...Bruh can't we just settle for the cold epp being the best 'coz it can switch for whatever type is needed? It wouldn't need us to upgrade it from breathing to rad to hot as another thing like "switch from rad to heat epp" type...

Idea for S E Q U E L or S P I N O F F S:

Maybe a quest like finding the hylotl adventurer (the one with flower books) so they can be added to our crew member would be great too or nay other famous adventurers in space?
    Maybe like a Search and rescue type rather than just removing outlaws/enemy factions on star systems would be good...
    Or a new frickin storyline, now that we have destroyed the Ruin and eliminated the whole Occasus thing...now it's time to UNIFY the whole races like what the Cultivator said to us...

Idea for spin-offs be like:
    1. Miniknog problem
    2. Letheia's evil corporate style thing...
    3. Floran/hylotl co-existing 'coz some can't accept it
    4. Humans now literally near-extinction (or at least that's what I think)
    5. Glitch, the ones who made them or learning what's really their purpose
    6. Novakid History...like is there even history for these...?

Did I mention the F.U. lag?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  7. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Welp somebody has gripes against Fu x)

Then again I can understand. But yea, what you said, your spin off ideas, those are what the game could build upon, perhpas by having a special update containing codexes that are actually subplots, immerging one into another character for example

8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

I could see a sequel getting done, if it involved mechanics that simply couldn't be done in the current game without significantly altering gameplay or causing problems with the already-existing gameplay.
    For instance, Starbound 2 could combine the current sandbox mechanics with a strategy bend, in which the gameplay revolves around being the leader of a faction, and leading them to greatness; which would have the Player plan the construction of buildings, ranging from houses and monuments (Kinda wha tthe Player already can do for the most part) to things like factories, spaceship yards, etc... (This would conveniently be done by building it yourself with the Matter Maniplator and taking schematics so the Player doesn't have to personally go around building the exact same buildings for practical purposes over several planets).
    The plot, of course, could revolve around the new political state of the galaxy post-Ruin, in which the Protectorate is effectively crippled (And you're now leading them, if you aren't leading a new faction related to them) and now has to reassert itself, by doing things such as claiming and managing planets, recruiting populations (Ranging from human survivors to Apex dissenters), etc...
    And, of course, since a new faction could attract hostilities, you'd have to assemble and armed forces, with the Player getting to plan out their equipment, ranging from that of an infantry soldier to the layout and weaponry of ships, passing through the design of planetary vehicles (Which could be an improvement ofver the previous game); and would then have to plan out the wars that would inevitably ensue; essentially being a sandbox/strategy mix.